• Thread starter Deleted member 103408
  • Start date

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Haha That's impressive!

How fast can you actually go in reverse... :cop:

Deleted member 103408

Never tried it but does the speedo work in reverse :)

Bit i liked was this was due to a transmission fault so its not only VW that have issues with gearbox's

Reactions: BadBoy03

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Oh so many questions haha

Would you do that if your transmission was dead?

Deleted member 103408

Funny I think I would have called out the 4th emergency service provider (no adverts)

Now I have found a use for the reversing camera :)

Retiree2013

Jun 29, 2020
Haha That's impressive!

How fast can you actually go in reverse... :cop:
I’ve done 30 mph in reverse in. 3.0 Vauxhall Senator back in the 1990’s and yes the speedo still works as it’s electronic, however I was trained to do it, doing it ad hoc you can easily go out of control in reverse. The old Austin Gypsy which the army used at one point could go as fast in reverse as it could going forward, apparently the troops thought it great fun to drive forward get up to speed and select the reversing box to the sound of tyres screeching on the tarmac with clouds of smoke. Many spent the night in the guardhouse awaiting regiment discipline under the careful eye of the RSM, which meant a real beasting and being called many Anglo Saxon short descriptive metaphors of a colourful nature. The Gypsy was a fwd jeep like vehicle for info

Reactions: Crossthreaded
Jul 13, 2020
Hey its funny man:D, i would like to try it in my life, but the funniest thing is while we are driving in reverse all the people look on us. LOL........

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
I’ve done 30 mph in reverse in. 3.0 Vauxhall Senator back in the 1990’s and yes the speedo still works as it’s electronic, however I was trained to do it, doing it ad hoc you can easily go out of control in reverse. The old Austin Gypsy which the army used at one point could go as fast in reverse as it could going forward, apparently the troops thought it great fun to drive forward get up to speed and select the reversing box to the sound of tyres screeching on the tarmac with clouds of smoke. Many spent the night in the guardhouse awaiting regiment discipline under the careful eye of the RSM, which meant a real beasting and being called many Anglo Saxon short descriptive metaphors of a colourful nature. The Gypsy was a fwd jeep like vehicle for info
The Daimler Ferret scout car could do it - we had one in our MV section ACF We also had an Austin Champ too and it had had the same idea. it was a reverser in the rear axle controlled by a lever in the cockpit so you got all the gears from the gearbox in both forward and reverse. Of course the earlier Daf Variomatics could do it too until they fitted a blocker on the later, especially Volvo badged, vehicles. I know for sure as I worked for a DAF agency for several years. I tried it too, but wouldn't recommend it. Once you get any sort of real speed up it's devilishly difficult to stop the car spinning out, you have to keep it absolutely dead straight. Did the transmission survive these hooligan's antics Retiree?

Retiree2013

Jun 29, 2020
As you can imagine the change in tyre direction from forward to reverse at any speed will put tremendous strain on the transmission with the result that something had to give, usually the gearbox or sun and planet wheels in the diffs. There were twisted up half shafts as well. All of which when brought to the subtle attention of the RSM would result in a nice comfy retreat to the guardroom for all in the Champ at the time of the misdemeanour for Company punishment to be considered. Usually a beasting around the Parade ground with a half barrel full of liquid held up over their head until they dropped, the incentive NOT to drop the barrel was they would be docked pay for wasting Company beer. Strange thing was that they only did it once and I can’t imagine why, word soon got around not to try it but there are always some who know better and got to know just how many colourful metaphors RSM’s were actually capable of, the upshot was they were the fittest in the army after the cosy retreat in the guardroom ended.?

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Not sure about speeds attained(too busy keeping it under control..ish) but Hondas will go into vtec mode when the revs required are reached, really unsettling.

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
I'm really quite keen on Hondas generally - daughter in law runs a Jazz I look after. Their Vtec system seems to be very reliable giving you a relatively tractable docile engine at low to mid rpm and a very usable increase in power if you ring it's neck out at higher rpm:
Once you understand what's going on I can't say I find it unsettling. If you are really pressing on just make sure you keep the revs well up the range so you don't suddenly get power kicking in unexpectedly half way through a bend.

Today's small turbo petrol engines produce good power and torque at quite low revs but tend to somewhat run out of umph at higher rpm, rather like a diesel. This is ideal for toddling around town or cruising down the motorway so suits many. But there are some disadvantages to them, which I won't go into here. Honda's vtec system, I think, makes for a much more interesting drive but are very different to drive compared with a lot of everyday offerings. Their latest offerings have changed somewhat as they have now gone to smaller turboed petrols with direct injection and I have no experience of them - although my fellow enthusiast in Maryland USA tells me they have had big problems with oil dilution on the 1500cc turbo engine over there - He thinks they over fuel when the ambient is really cold allowing liquid fuel to bypass the pistons into the sump (there's a lot on you tube about this)

My interest though is in the older engines and the one that I find really interesting is the R18 which uses their ivtec technology but in a different and quite innovative way:
I drove the Civic with this engine in it and very nearly bought one instead of the ibiza.

I'm getting just slightly disenchanted with my Ibiza at this time. Nothing serious yet but just a number of smaller things - turbo lag, design of front wheel calipers, complexity of the engine, etc and I'm taking a look at the short lived 1.5 litre Jazz sport. Unfortunately it has a direct injected petrol engine but other than that there's a lot to like - and it doesn't have a turbo! Investigations are ongoing.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Hi Crossthreaded, Sorry missed a bit in my post, I was following upon previous posts regarding doing odd things whilst in reverse, going backwards and hitting 6k revs for vtec activation really is to be experienced, probably only once though.

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
I had 6 x Jazz previously then Nissan before the Leon.. Fantastically reliable and besides servicing/tyres only 2 known issues - 1 had to have a new EGR valve for uneven running and 1 had to have a new aircon condenser as the core rotted away. A new Jazz EX would have cost me more than I paid for a new FR!!

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
I've only really had intimate knowledge of my daughter in law's jazz which is one of the old IDSI engined 1.4 litre with the 8 spark plugs and helping neighbours with theirs - there are 4 jazzes in our street, all owned by people I know well. She's run it for about 5 years, it's now 12 years old and is going strong. The biggest job I've had to do was to replace one front and one rear brake caliper last year for MOT as the front one was dragging and the rear couldn't be wound back to allow new pads to be fitted. I suppose the other two may need doing soon but I gthink that's more than acceptable for a car of this age. Other than that it's blown out it's rear silencer and that's about all! I think that's pretty good. A friend of mine is an MOT tester/mechanic and he runs a diesel Civic for his wife and a Honda SUV thing for himself. He doesn't work for a Honda dealer, just a wee independent workshop, but he's very enthusiastic about the Honda quality. He tells me he fails fewer Hondas than any other make.

Over the last few months I've become increasingly friendly with the wee independent Honda garage near me, talking about Hondas and cars in general and I've been able to see some of the work they have in at the time. I'm especially impressed by the quality of the components used in the cars. This conversation kicked off when I had the problem with the bottom caliper guide pin on my 2016 Ibiza (mentioned somewhere in the Ibiza section). We looked at a couple of the Hondas up on the ramps and they had "proper" guide pins - the type with a removable bolt which leaves the guide pin behind in the caliper carrier, a much better design - So far they've had almost nothing to do with the new turboed direct injection engines but they are slowly starting to arrive on their door step as they get older. As a result they are having to find out about them and I'm hoping they will be able to tell me all about the non turbo, but DI engine used in the 1.5 Jazz sport which is the model that interests me most. I also want to see if there is enough room to replace the space saver spare with a full size wheel and I want to find out more about the autonomous braking, lane departure, road sign recognition rubbish - especially how much repairs could potentially cost if someone "nudges" the front bumper, I do wish manufacturers would make these things optional so people could choose not to have them!

Here's one for sale near me, which I notice has been reserved since I looked at it last night. Pity it only comes with the black wheels which I think look ugly:
Wonder what they might give me for the Ibiza?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.