Strangest window breakage ever

Cupra_power

torque ain't cheap
Nov 1, 2004
the burbs...
Car has been sat in the garage for a good part of the week, get it out to fill up some go go juice, and lo and behold a lovely 8 to 10 inch crack in the windscreen. How ??? I have no idea, as there is no chip visible etc. Must be some kind of stress crack. but a stress crack on a car sat in the garage ? Wierd :blink:

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
maybe caused by temperature changes? i know a guy who was sat in his mk3 astra doing nothing with the engine off and the back window exploded (literally! exploded!)

no-fear

Candy FR has been born!!!
Jan 24, 2005
Macclesfield
how freakin wierd is this.....
My Leon has been parked on my drive for 3 days, waiting for exchange of cash / car with new owner, which should have been tomorrow, I was going to take it to put some petrol in this morning, and a big :censored: crack going a quarter of the way across the windscreen....

albevan

That's weird! same thing happened to me. went in the house one evening,

came out next morning 12" crack on windscreen. it was just a normal day no frost or extremes of temp:confused:

my insurance doesn't cover windscreens so had a nice fat bill i didn't need![:@]

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
Didn't think they were allowed to shatter any more as people would get injured from the shards of glass.
They normally have fine piece of plastic running through middle of two panes to prevent this, so you can drive a car with 12" crack and all be fine.

Mike Green

Cupra crazy
May 4, 2007
Surrey
Yeah - defo wont shatter as they have a layer of plastic between the 2 sheets of glass to stop this.

My gf car (not seat) this happened, small crack appeared one day out of nowhere. We think it was hit by something from a tree while driving and took a while to develop (i.e. when got much colder).

These cracks can literally be sitting waiting to happen. Common tho, thats why insurance always specifies the excess on replacing!!!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise