Stretched tyres - discuss

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
you are talking such rubbish its staggering...

good luck with your stretch look tyres.... but FFS, dont drive anywhere near me.. lol

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
it's a clever way to get round wide wheels by making sure the 'tread' stays covered but it will only take a word change to wheel/tyre instead of tread and 'boom' the ass is gonna fall out of the scene faster than tinted windows and lexus lights

if you wanna trailer the car to a show and push the boundaries then no problem i applaud you for doing what you want and 'sort of' being unique, just don't even try and justify they are perfectly legal, safe and normal cornering because that is just crap.

no matter what mot/vosa/sva loopholes are used to justify it at the end of the day even 5 psi over on standard tyres/rims will give a significant reduction in tread pattern on the road and grip so a thinner profile stretched is insane, like driving on pram wheels.

tyre-pressures.jpg

if you feel the point needs proving at all, lend me your rims for a week on our delivery vans that are all logged and tracked for speed/distance location and i'll show you what's left of them at the end of the week.

Last edited:

JB!

Toight loike a Toiger
DSC_0163.jpg

i'll happily run stretch. if jap drifters can give their rear tyres tha amount of abuse they do whilst stretched and -'ve cambered, i'll be fine.

also, it looks great:

caddy4.jpg

oh and for the person who mentioned banded spacesavers earlier:

steels5.jpg

Last edited:

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
when they use strecthed tyres then i guess it would be a valid point but try another pic as there isn't no stretched being teared up there that i can see,. they certainly don't look like they are running a set of these

sa60_carina_firevan_stretched_tires_thumbnail_500px.jpg

suggesting the use of in a closed track controlled sport where ripping the tyres apart is considered a bonus is slightly different story to an 80 odd mph swerve on the motorway

done for looks that's all so leave it to the trailer queens

Last edited:

JB!

Toight loike a Toiger
when they use strecthed tyres then i guess it would be a valid point but try another pic as there isn't no stretched being teared up there that i can see,. they certainly don't look like they are running a set of these

suggesting the use of in a closed track controlled sport where ripping the tyres apart is considered a bonus is slightly different story to an 80 odd mph swerve on the motorway

done for looks that's all so leave it to the trailer queens

look carefully, the sidewalls of the rear orange ones and the goldy/silver one... defo some stretch there, has to be due to the shape of those arches an poke of those wheels!!!!

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
looks like the suspension must be firm for sure, i guess they carry some others to go home on too but
how often do drifters change tyres in a day ?

is only one pic after all i guess from any old track day of a set of scener's having a good go i would guess, going well too but it's not exactly a 195 on a 10J rim is it

just google image a few 'top $$$' pro drift cars and see how many are running extreme stretch before suggesting that they last forever and are fine as they do it

Hobbiniho

Jan 17, 2009
shetland/ Aberdeen
stretched tyres are ghey if anything i would fit wider tyres to my wheels not narrower, but i take it that stretching the other way is just as dangerous. as for insurance etc they will find any little thing to not pay out even if you have the correct size and profile of tires that were fitted as standard if they are not the the correct speed rating they will not pay out, am i right in thinking that leons need xl rated tyres aswell??? if i was working for an insurance company and someone tried to claim i would find anything that i could not to pay out, im calling all you with stretched tyres to go and read the small print in your insurance documents because it will say something like "we will not pay out if the vehicle is modified from standard and you havent told us"

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
look carefully, the sidewalls of the rear orange ones and the goldy/silver one... defo some stretch there, has to be due to the shape of those arches an poke of those wheels!!!!

are those slicks on the picture?
sidewalls are massively stronger on 'radial' slicks, and in no way compare to road trye stretch.... and also being on closed course vs public road is no comparison

warren_cox

Back from the dead
They don't even look good, let alone fall within safety regs. Stink of trying too hard to be different / making a scene.

As the tyre manufacturers don't recommend it, and cars aren't sold with them it's for good reason.

Drifters drive on a track. Tracks are generally smooth with run off areas. They have endless supplies of tyres and don't have to let them cope under a year or so typical road duties. I bet the compounds / patterns don't even compare to what we use on the road.

You takes you pick at the end of the day, but to me they just look gash.

Leigh_o

Lowest Cupra?
Feb 2, 2009
Milton Keynes
i ran 175/50/13 on a 7 & 8 on my polo...for welll over a year never once had an issue passed 2 mot's never once had an issue even got pulled a couple times for the poke off the 8's again police never said a word!!

another point...even when i fitted new tyres i didnt have to 'over inflate' or use the lighter fluid trick and i ran 34 psi 2 psi over recomended. how many of you right now are running 5 or ever 6 psi under what you should be?! ?! thats dangerous too you know?! now matter how wide the tyres you run!!

reason none of you like strech tyres is because for some reason you all love standard wheels or multi spokes which never venture past a 7j...:blink:

bet more people die from speeding than stretch tyres but bet alot of you in your cars all do 80mph+ on the motorway...

but yet still go on about 'what might happen' to a stretch tyre...?

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Like when you hit a pothole or a kerb and the tyre loses pressure and then has nothing to keep it in place - end result is you crash with zero control as the tyre flops about in the centre of the wheel that is over an inch too wide?

It's dangerous and that's all there is to it. If there was any performance benefit, we'd see rally cars, F1 cars running around the tracks doing it. The ONLY reason the drifters do it is because they want less grip, not more. Please tell me how that's a good thing on the public highway :)

Fair enough park up at a show and fit your show wheels but they have no place on the streets and heaven forbid one of you ever crashes into me around Milton Keynes when your tyres come unstuck on a roundabout because they're mounted way out of manufacturers specification.

A little bit of stretch looks good I agree and by a little I don't mean having the entire rim of the wheel exposed with the tyre sitting half an inch inside it on either side of the rim.

The reason I like tyres without a stupid amount of potentially lethal stretch is because like my brakes, i like my tyres to be safe and able to perform the job they were intended to do.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
as already said... tyres are not designed to be run on there sidewalls. less grip, more stress on the tyre and a risk of the tyre comming off.

You seem to compare the danger to driving at 80mph on the mway?? Yet the tyres are designed to run like that, and cope. (look at the speed rating on the tyre)

and im running 7.5j :p;)

tyres, brakes and suspension are the only thing keeping all of us out of ditches, upgrade by all means but improve.
Better as said to take your wheels to a show and change them there. :)

I wouldn't personally stretch tyres on my car. But then there are people out there that change their suspension and drive about not doing the wheel alignment after!! I personally think this is alot more dangerous than stretched tyres as when I drove my car in to get it done, it was a death trap!

It's dangerous and that's all there is to it. If there was any performance benefit, we'd see rally cars, F1 cars running around the tracks doing it. The ONLY reason the drifters do it is because they want less grip, not more. Please tell me how that's a good thing on the public highway :)

I agree with all of your other comments bar the grip and drifting. They are not looking for less grip. If they did this I'm sure they would find it very hard to control when they're drifting! So yeah I totally disagree with it being the only reason they do it.

In general though I don't mind stretched tyres. They are another personal preference for modifying a car... I have never seen people that use them going flat out down the roads, hitting every pot hole that there is to be driven over! The most that I see take care of their ££££ wheels, avoiding the holes, and generally driving like a bit of a p**f :shrug:

Leigh_o

Lowest Cupra?
Feb 2, 2009
Milton Keynes
as already said... tyres are not designed to be run on there sidewalls. less grip, more stress on the tyre and a risk of the tyre comming off.

You seem to compare the danger to driving at 80mph on the mway?? Yet the tyres are designed to run like that, and cope. (look at the speed rating on the tyre)

and im running 7.5j :p;)

tyres, brakes and suspension are the only thing keeping all of us out of ditches, upgrade by all means but improve.
Better as said to take your wheels to a show and change them there. :)

i was refering to 80mph more towards the people who was saying stretching tyres is illigal!! because if you was too have a crash at 80mph on motorway you insure would be void as well and i reakon your more likly too have a crash resulting in speeding than have a crash from the result of having 3cm less tread on the road...

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
i was refering to 80mph more towards the people who was saying stretching tyres is illigal!! because if you was too have a crash at 80mph on motorway you insure would be void as well and i reakon your more likly too have a crash resulting in speeding than have a crash from the result of having 3cm less tread on the road...

no your wrong. 80mph wouldnt be seen as a reason not to pay out... but if my brakes failed because i fitted them wrong, or my tyres were fitted wrong and failed causing the accident they could get nasty.

with poor tread contact you can fall off the road at 30mph let alone 80mph.

80mph is very safe in a modern car in the right conditions. but less tread wont be safe at any speed compared to full grip.

Leigh_o

Lowest Cupra?
Feb 2, 2009
Milton Keynes
no your wrong. 80mph wouldnt be seen as a reason not to pay out... but if my brakes failed because i fitted them wrong, or my tyres were fitted wrong and failed causing the accident they could get nasty.

with poor tread contact you can fall off the road at 30mph let alone 80mph.

80mph is very safe in a modern car in the right conditions. but less tread wont be safe at any speed compared to full grip.

WRONG. if your breaking the law and an accident is caused your at fault even if someone pulls out on you!! i know this becuase it happened to my best mate, he was doing 70 on a 60 road someone has pulled out he hit the side of them once police done there thing with the skid marks what have you found out what speed he was doing, he was deemed too be in the wrong because there was a chance if he was doing 60 the accident 'Might' not have happened! then he insurance company would not back him up as he was breaking the law whan this happened. Extreme case i know. but so is a stretch tyre 'falling' off the rim...

look at how many people run them...how many threads on ANY forum do you see 'look at what happened too my stretch'...tbh ive only ever seen one and that was on extreme stretch!!! never scene one myself on 'scene38'

But of course everyone who dont like stretch tyres has a friend of a friend who's sisters boyfriends, friends uncle who once spoke to mario andretti who kinda knows a guy who knows a guy with stretch tyres that once had a blow out that was sooo bad the world stopped spining when it happened...:headhurt:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
look at how many people run them...how many threads on ANY forum do you see 'look at what happened too my stretch'...tbh ive only ever seen one and that was on extreme stretch!!! never scene one myself on 'scene38'

But of course everyone who dont like stretch tyres has a friend of a friend who's sisters boyfriends, friends uncle who once spoke to mario andretti who kinda knows a guy who knows a guy with stretch tyres that once had a blow out that was sooo bad the world stopped spining when it happened...:headhurt:

Why don't you ask the experts to vouch for the safety of stretched tyres ?

If you can get written evidence from the technical department of a mainstream tyre manufacturer, that says stretching their road tyres to the extent we've seen on this thread is perfectly safe for use on public roads in this country, I'll eat my words.

There you go - there's your chance.

Until then, I'll remain of the opinion that stretched tyres are a sign of someone with lower than average intelligence and/or mechanical aptitude, desperately trying to be part of a crowd, prizing looks over anything including safety of themselves or others.

look at how many people run them...how many threads on ANY forum do you see 'look at what happened too my stretch'
In comparison to the millions of properly mounted tyres in use, absolutely f*ck all, so saying "I've not heard of anyone having a problem" means nothing.

tbh ive only ever seen one and that was on extreme stretch!!!
Rat-Cupra said:
There very safe and i worked with tyres for years...only had 1 blow out

There's two for starters !

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members