Stretched tyres - discuss

Leigh_o

Lowest Cupra?
Feb 2, 2009
Milton Keynes
How many standard cars do you see on the side of a road with a blow out on a daily basis?!

just drive down the M1 you'll usally see a few

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
If you can get written evidence from the technical department of a mainstream tyre manufacturer, that says stretching their road tyres to the extent we've seen on this thread is perfectly safe for use on public roads in this country, I'll eat my words.

There you go - there's your chance.
:snack:

si-mate

Jai Ho or Jay Ho?
May 31, 2004
Kunt Centryside
So one person out of hundreds using stretched tyres has had a problem (that you have heard of.) I'll bet thats a higher percentage than how many blowouts the UK's 31 million cars have every year.

It's just such a stupid thing to do to your car in the name of 'style'. Why don't you fit smaller brakes, or dimmer headlights :shrug:

Leigh_o

Lowest Cupra?
Feb 2, 2009
Milton Keynes
Your all making it out to be as dangerous as say...playing with a crocodile at dinner time...

when its prob no more dangerous than crossing the raod...you might get hit by a bus...but chances are you wont...

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
playing with a crocodile at dinner time...
crossing the raod...you might get hit by a bus...
Both of which would only affect yourself.
Unlike driving on the road, where you don't know how many other innocent people you could wipe out should you lose control as a result of tyre failure/demounting, and therefore carries a much higher degree of responsibility - something that you seem to be overlooking.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
my example was on a motorway pot hole rather than slamming into somebody... and yes i know of people who have crashed at the speeds mentioned and got paid out. (blow-outs)

but regardless... we all love modifying our cars but that brings responsibility to modify them safely. Dont you owe it to every road user and pedestrian to make sure your car is at least as safe as when it rolled out of the factory?

contact the manufacturer of your tyres and ask them.

si-mate

Jai Ho or Jay Ho?
May 31, 2004
Kunt Centryside
But why actively set out to do something to your car which makes it less safe (I doubt anyone could argue that stretched tyres are as safe as normally fitted tyres)?

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Just had some interesting replies from the technical departments of Toyo and Goodyear.

Haven't got time to post the full content yet as it contains HTML and embedded images.

Buit I wonder if you can guess the general tone of the replies regarding stretched tyres ?

Here are a few selected words and phrases to give a clue:

"premature failure"
"easily dislodged"
"very hazardous"
"fashion statement"
"serious risks into road safety"

Goodyear said:
Please find guidelines from the British Tyre manufacturers Association

Euro Look : Tyres and wheel compatibility

The BTMA is becoming increasingly concerned at the number of cars on British roads where the tyres fitted are too narrow for the wheel rim widths or conversely the wheel rims are too wide for the tyres. (Often referred to as the “Euro Look”) This trend is believed to be a fashion statement, but leads to courts a potentially very hazardous and serious risks into road safety.

In one of the emails was an image of a stretched tyre, similar to the ones seen in this thread.
Below it was the following:
Goodyear said:
The tyre in this illustration is stretched onto a rim which is too wide, too wide rim causing excessive distortion in the tyre sidewall . This is potentially very dangerous and could lead to a premature tyre failure. There is also a real risk of the tyre being easily dislodged from the wheel rim.

Last edited:

Leigh_o

Lowest Cupra?
Feb 2, 2009
Milton Keynes
Oh god...How bored/anal must you be to take a disscussion on 'stretch tyres' off a forum to the point of e-mailing goodyear haha.

but on the other breath if i e-mail the police im sure i would get a response to how unsafe it is to drive at 80Mph on motorway. dispite people on here thinking its perfectly safe...

Anyway you have better get you pitch folks ready as my 9" wide Oz turbos are about ready and how am i going too get them too fit? You guessed it ;) ill prob be held responsable for gloabal warming due too stretching tyres...

warren_cox

Back from the dead
enjoy your stretchers, and if it makes you feel better then all well and good.

Generally if I find a majority disagreeing with me, I tend to take a reflective look at what I'm doing, particularly if what I am doing is flying in the face of tested safety recommendations. Tyre companies don't spend hours in R&D developing tyres so that someone can come along and think 'because it suits their image' that stretching is perfectly OK. They do it as they are obliged to make cars as safe as possible (as car manufacturers have a responsibility for making safe cars).

I'm certainly no-one to be holier than thou as I have exceeded the speed limit occasionally, but then I buy the most expensive tyres I can (with great ratings from mags) and use them as the manufacturer specifies. Substance over style is the motto for any car I want to give some stick to. I owe it to myself, other road users, and anyone who gets close to a road (pedestrians etc.).

For show cars that don't move far I have no issue. Still think its pap personally, but as an ornamental statement then fair game.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
but on the other breath if i e-mail the police im sure i would get a response to how unsafe it is to drive at 80Mph on motorway. dispite people on here thinking its perfectly safe....

last time it was tried it was depicted as being illegal but as to how far that went as you say it got boring so didnt follow it up

each to their own i say (hotrod boys probably do a lot worse) but when like me you have to endure driving roads daily that will blow the beading on a 205/40 tyre on a 7J rim even when running 36 odd psi to help then you would change ya mind i assure ya

as said many many many (boooring) times before, there is a time and a place for everything

if you really wanna prove the point line up 2 identical cars side by side for a few slalom/bump/handling/speed tests comparisons - even use the same tyres if ya like on standard width and 'scene' width rims as that would prove a difference either way for sure - in fact if you buy em all ill gladly watch over a manufacturer stress test em for ya if you want me too

Last edited:

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Anyway you have better get you pitch folks ready as my 9" wide Oz turbos are about ready and how am i going too get them too fit? You guessed it ;) ill prob be held responsable for gloabal warming due too stretching tyres...

Do as much damage to global warming as you wish, just dont crash or hit anyone particularly now youve voiced your opinion and intentions to go against the manufacturers guidence on a very known and public forum.;):)

Leigh_o

Lowest Cupra?
Feb 2, 2009
Milton Keynes
meh. im not the 1st...wont be the last and have no concerns over stretch tyres what so ever...

i ran them for over a year with no issues...

plus im not the one saying its fine too do 80mph...on a public forum...:whistle:

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
meh. im not the 1st...wont be the last and have no concerns over stretch tyres what so ever...

i ran them for over a year with no issues...

plus im not the one saying its fine too do 80mph...on a public forum...:whistle:

out of context. You compared stretched tyres to be as dangerous as driving at 80mph on a motorway. i disagree with this...

But of course i would never personally drive above 70 on a motorway.... even though my tyres are safe at that speed.[B)]

Leigh_o

Lowest Cupra?
Feb 2, 2009
Milton Keynes
i disagree with stretch tyres being dangerous at 80mph...because on my 'private road' ive done 80mph on stretch tyres suprise suprise im still here to tell the tail...

warren_cox

Back from the dead
i disagree with stretch tyres being dangerous at 80mph...because on my 'private road' ive done 80mph on stretch tyres suprise suprise im still here to tell the tail...

but isn't that concept like saying "I've danced blindfolded on the M6 today and because I didn't die I deem it to be safe and will continue to do it"?

I could climb the Eiffel Tower by the rivets today and live....

When you have the capability to do elongated destruction testing to find the limits and report on it with scientific backing I will get on side, until then you'll forgive me for being skeptical.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Just out of interest, is there any point whatsoever other than just looks? Far as i'm concerned it's like walking around with your laces half undone in shoes 3 sizes too big :) Then again you won't find me with my pants halfway down my legs either ..... It just makes no sense to be monkeying around with the only thing that is keeping you in good contact with the road.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members