Stuttering leon 20VT

Tobester

Hi has anyone ever suffered with what feels like sporadic hesitation, noticably when pulling away in first or second? get to speed and its OK.

Cheers :confused:

Omega1

Nov 7, 2004
Yeah must admit I am getting it when cold, in first car hesitates or momentary cuts, it has been fine since purchase 4 weeks ago then it broke down as soon as I filled up with BP Ultimate and tried to drive away, did take a look pump just in case of the unthinkable, this led to the oxy sensor causing a 4 cylinder misfire and then affecting the electronic throttle control, went into limp mode and overnight reset itself, dealer put new coil packs on only, but since has had a slight mis in first when cold

Tobester

I was wondering if it had anything to do with fuel, but seems to be the same with either 95 or 98. I had the coil pack done about 7 12 months back and on its last service SEAT found the customar loose pipes etc... Must admit it has never gone into limp mode but the consumption seems a bit high. did you get any other symptoms pointing the throttle control? :cheers:

Tobester

do you mean dodgy tank of fuel? I am not sure though as this has been going on now for a couple of months, It seems as if the throttle demand is sometimes interupted???????? :confused:

Omega1

Nov 7, 2004
I think the fuel and problem were sheer coincedence and not related, very strange thou, no other symptoms surfaced, I did get my car back home and left it for an hour and it started and ran no probs, I give the dealer the codes the AA picked up and they changed the coils only

mister.c.

mister.c.
Jul 5, 2004
I have done 50k miles on mine, and this kicked in at about 42k - told the stealer, usual no error code therefore there was nothing wrong.

Just learnt to live with it tbh - for me it is deffo not fuel related.

Tobester

are 20VT's renowned for this? can it be linked to throttle valves at all?

Vipers_Venom

King Leonidas
Jun 30, 2004
West Midlands
Hi,

I have the same problem with my Cupra, It happens when the car is cold, quite irritating to be honest. Funny thing is that when I test drove a golf gti it was happening with that too, almost like a cough.

The 1st service is due in Jan so i will tell the dealer to take a look.

V.V

Tobester

Can you let me know what they say please viper, mine is due a service soon as well and I will be mentioning it then................................. any other ideas out there?

K44ENT

Tobester said:
Hi has anyone ever suffered with what feels like sporadic hesitation, noticably when pulling away in first or second? get to speed and its OK.

Cheers :confused:

My Revo'd Octy vRS used to do this quite a lot when cold, was running on Optimax, changed to BP ultimate and it got better, then after about another 1000miles did a throttle body re-alignment, now its even better, only a slight hesitation in second at 2000rpm now and again on cold mornings.

Tobester

What does a throttle body re alignement entail? sounds costly

K44ENT

Tobester said:
What does a throttle body re alignement entail? sounds costly

With a cold engine..

Open bonnet, open drivers side door, turn ignition on fully (do not Start), listen for beep noise under bonnet, after about 1 min it will stop. Close bonnet, get in car, close door, start car, wait 20sec then drive off. Job done :D

leonvt2001

Jun 25, 2001
Bristol, South Glos.
Visit site
I get this as well.

Downright dangerous when the car is cold and you are trying to pull away from a junction.

Stealer has had a look and replaced coolant temperature sensor. No difference.

I will try the throttle body alignment procedure, but am not holding my breath.

Any chance this could be a MAF or O2 sensor problem?

(TBH I've pretty much given up on it now :thumbd: )

Omega1

Nov 7, 2004
Hi,

My Leon is back in at the Dealers next week, I have e-mailed him with some of the issues I have, namely this hestitation etc, the Dealer in Bedford seems to be well switched on and seem to go out of there way to help, probably helps a little as I work for an automotive Manufacturer in the R&D dept,The bedford dealer is putting the car right to my satisfaction under warranty, I bought the car from a dealer in herts and they have been very poor, the car is 2002, I paid top price and found loads of issues, e.g the brake fluid was not changed even the service books requires it to be every 2 years.
I will let you know if they suggest or changed anything

Tobester

I am assuming a MAF is main air filter? I will try the throttle alignement this weekend see what happens, any other symptoms out there that could cause this?

Forcedinduction

My MY03 Cupra does it too, I printed off a thread from here that pointed to the MAf, the dealer replaced something they called a 'Thrust sensor' - MAF??

This hasn't sorted it either. I'm glad I'm not alone but it would be great to find out what's causing it. When it happens I can hear the diverter valve dump the air, my hunch is that the diaphragm in the Bosch divertor valve may have seen better days and can't maintain the seal from cold. I'm going to swap it for a Forge 007P, fingers crossed!!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members