Subtle add on

robby71

Sep 3, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
Had an engine cover lying around from my last Golf GT, also fitted my 2 Polo GTs, A3 S-Line and previous Leon FR so thought i'd fit it to current FR. - (bought from Aliexpress)

KVlb5nG.jpg

Before

MqtWGlj.jpg

After - complete with Cupra badge

OSaXSBg.jpg

robby71

Sep 3, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
Yep it's strange - VW, Audi, SEAT don't fit covers to most models unless they're either diesel or top of the line.
I've just got rid of a new Fiesta 1.0 ST-Line (2018my) and that didn't have a cover but the focus (same engine) did - bought a Focus 1 and fitted that :)

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
That looks a lot neater! Was surprised that SEAT did not have an engine cover.
Seems it’s all about cost cutting these days within VAG. A number of items of trim have been dropped on the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf during its lifespan;
- soft, lidded battery box not fitted
- middle rear seat backrest plastic hinge cover deleted
- plastic cover over door mirror fixing screws no longer fitted
- plastic trim covers on Isofix child seat mounting points deleted
- front engine cover (the smaller of the two) not fitted
- storage drawers under the front seats deleted for most models

If a trim piece can’t be seen and serves little or no purpose, other than aesthetics, then there’s a chance that the bean counters within VAG’s ivory towers will probably decide it’s not needed if it saves a few pounds by not fitting it.

Not a huge cost saving per car by not fitting any of the above, or the engine cover on the Leon, but a significant saving overall when you consider the number of vehicles produced by VAG.

Deleted member 103408

Yes, I keep seeing people talking about having to pay extra for stuff that just came as standard on my 2014 model.

robby71

Sep 3, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
It's like the trim on most cars seems to be getting cheaper - solid plastic door panels that scratch easily instead of the padded on previous models, leather look instead of genuine leather, etc

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.