Supercharging the Ibiza - Progress Thread, the beginning

Chrisdaman

1 gearbox dead, any more?
Mar 21, 2007
Kingston
www.flickr.com
Supercharging The Ibiza - most parts bought, just fitting needed

right, my summer project this year is to supercharge my Ibiza 1.8l 16v Gti, i've been reading up on loads of stuff about different superchargers (roots type, scroll type etc) and have decided to use the Eaton M45 Sueprcharger out of a mini cooper, i paid for it on thursday so it should be with me next week (if not saturday) i'll get pics up of it when i get it.

that's the hardest part to find, the chargers go very quickly on ebay and i hate using ebay anyway.

Been talking to Nanod and Eddy (N7NDO and Toyotec on edition38) and this is the list that we've compiled that'll finish the job. I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible without skimping on quality / reliability:

Megasquirt 1 EMS V3 Spark extra with loom,
317cc or higher injetors,
Audi TT/16v inlet with 1.8T fuel rail.
FMIC
Boost hoses and pipes.
Twin G60 head gaskets to lower compression.
G60 Crank pulely / custom machined if needed
Keep standard internals - can upgrade to S2 internals later on if i want
i'm not going to change the cams either as apparently the ADL engine has a nice cam to use anyway.

I will also be
Lightening the Flywheel
Sports Clutch (both at the same time)
Gearbox rebuild (will find a spare one and get that done alongside this)
Uprated HT leads (Megaleads) and spark plugs
various other little engine parts to make her run smoother etc.

After all of this: estimated peak output 190bhp and 180lbft. this is from 130bhp and 125lbft.

The interesting part is that i need my car as a daily, to get to and from work and uni, so there'll be 2 days of work (seperately) hopefully (things can go wrong) this is the general plan, and how Nando did his:

1st Day - Measure up charger and fabricate brackets, fit the charger to brackets and car. to do this we'll have to remove the A/C compressor (i'm not bothered by that). Also pulleys will be needed. Fit crank pulley and line up charger, fit belt. This will wear in the charger and keep it nice. Mount intercooler and get hosing measured up/

2nd Day - Fit inlet manifold and fuel rail, plumb in the charger to the air filter, then intercooler, and then to the throttle body. Fit megasquirt ECU and quick remap (eddy knows how to do this) and her get it all running sweetly

That's the plan, i'm expecting a bumpy ride, as nothing i do goes properly without a fight. There'll be pics and vids to keep all entertained.

Let the Fun Begin :D

Last edited:

Chrisdaman

Mar 21, 2007
Kingston
www.flickr.com
i think all done should be around the £800 mark the most expensive bieng the megasquirt - £350 with fitting and remap
Charger £150
FMIC - £150
Inlet and Fuel rail £60-80ish

and a couple of other parts

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Nice one Chris, will be following this thread closely, and hopefully help you if needed. Just make sure your car isn't in bits around the 17th of June, as you better still be attending GTI Inters.

Good luck

HarveyGTI

im watching this thread with keen interest

one thing I would recommend is to take it to Vince at Stealth Racing as he will do a fantastic job of mapping it and getting the most from it

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
using the tools that you can get with the MS, there's no reason why you can't get the same results though. especially if they've already got a base map for the same setup

my only 'fear' with using a s/c that's designed for the low revving 1.6 is that you'll end up with a bit of a weird power delivery.

HarveyGTI

just thinking about your estimated power Chris

would you not have about 220bhp?

speaking with a few mini guys, they have theirs chipped up to about 220bhp, and thats on a 1.6 litre engine

So would you not be able to run similar power, if a little more?

Chrisdaman

Mar 21, 2007
Kingston
www.flickr.com
the guy that fits the Megasquirt does a remap that he has found works best with supercharged valvers, they've done an ABF and a KR, they were saying that mine is probably the easiest valver to supercharge, because the cams right, i can use G60 head gaskets and the inlet manifold is a direct fit.

the good thing with the supercharger is that the power is available from idle, i think that 220bhp should be achievable, and around 200/210 ft/lbs of torque. That'll be more than enough for me, only 19 lol, the people that insure it will be able to go to barbados on my premiums anyway

As for a dead line i want to have it done by september, for the edition38 show, this should be easily achievable, i cant wait to have boost :D

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
my only 'fear' with using a s/c that's designed for the low revving 1.6 is that you'll end up with a bit of a weird power delivery.

one of the reasons i dismissed it when considering doing mine - saying that theres loads about cos of the cooper upgrade

but then mine is 2.0

i did some pulley mod calculations to compensate a while back ill see if i can get em off me laptop at work for ya

good luck

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
using the tools that you can get with the MS, there's no reason why you can't get the same results though. especially if they've already got a base map for the same setup

Not sure that will be a problem, the The Mini cooper S that the charger is off rev high, they all rev out the box to 7k and my modded one pops tot he line at 7500rpm. They are an engine that thrived on revs with peak power being higher in the rev range.

The only downside you will need to remember that the Eaton Supercharger takes 60bhp to power it alone.

Also i hope you have the Teflon coated blades on the Supercharger, easy way to tell is if the Blades are black. You also want a slightly smaller pulley whch would be good to do from the beginning if you are getting it mapped.Also a lightened crank pulley would also be good for sa lot quicker spool up. on top of thatyou may have some trouble with the Intercooler pipework due to the way the supercharger is shaped. They are designed for the top mounted Cooper S's therefore have a long oval shape, which matches the intercooler on the mini. Also bear in mind the bypass valve too, these are very important in the supercharger running, need to be set up according to use.

I would definately recommend speaking to Roland at GT Tuning as he is the supercharged Guru. So if you are using the Mini stuff he may be able to give yu some advice, and he is a good guy who will take an interest.

Good luck and get some pics up.

Also check practical performace car, there was a piece in there not so long ago about fitting a mini supercharger to 205 Gti, they said you had to use stand alone management which i assume you are.

Good luck, really interested in this, oh and PS you will love the Whine of the supercharger.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Not sure that will be a problem, the The Mini cooper S that the charger is off rev high, they all rev out the box to 7k and my modded one pops tot he line at 7500rpm. They are an engine that thrived on revs with peak power being higher in the rev range.

but peak airflow will be greater on the 16v engine though? just that it might throttle it a bit because it's not designed for that engine

HarveyGTI

but peak airflow will be greater on the 16v engine though? just that it might throttle it a bit because it's not designed for that engine

yes hence i recommended the M62 charger, which although meant for 3.0 - 4.5/5.0 liter engines, it will be better setup for the revviness of the 16v engine and allowing the flow the higher end of the rpm

still I think the M45 will do, and it will still yield very good results:)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.