Supercharging the Ibiza - Progress Thread, the beginning

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
i worked out that if i get my max loan at 840 pounds a term 3or 4 times a year ill end up paying back 500 pounds interest a year!?

Thats interest on a loan which i thought was interest free!

So im paying mine back nect year as i dont need it i earn enough doing what i do part time to easily pay for uni, and my parents pay fees and what not.

You start paying it back when you earn 15k a year.

anyway...

What have you bought so far for the charger conversion? just the charger or have you started investing in other stuff?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
i worked out that if i get my max loan at 840 pounds a term 3or 4 times a year ill end up paying back 500 pounds interest a year!?

so if you're earning 20k/yr you'll pay back £450/yr (9% on earnings over 15k), acruing interest on the interest

assuming interest rates don't go up - or they'll move the threshold again so you just earn interest again, and make no payments....

really guys, I'd strongly suggest doing it any other way than Student Loans - think how many times over the s/c will have been paid for by the time it's paid off.

Chrisdaman

1 gearbox dead, any more?
Mar 21, 2007
Kingston
www.flickr.com
at the moment i've only got the charger, but will be buying the inlet manifold and intercooler at the end of the month, the megasquirt will wait, i've got a couple of other things to get done, like MOT etc

Megasquirt will be the month after i reckon

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
You guys are working out something wrong here!! £500 interest on a (860 x 3) £2500 loan?? That's like 20% interest. Even normal banks offer under 10% APR. A student loan is the money you have borrowed + inflation. And I'm pretty sure that the inflation isn't 20% in 4 years.

Using your student loan to help fund the charger isn't the wisest of Ideas, but its damn sight better then using it to buy drugs and piss it up the wall. OR getting a bank loan.

p.s. god help me with my student loan of £8500 a year (thats London for you)
Mig

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Its just that it sounded like you said you'll pay £500 a year for your years loan

ill end up paying back 500 pounds interest a year!?

Anyway, I know the loan is the least of my worries at the moment as I need money for my insurance NOW and not in september :lol:. So much so I've had to take up a labouring job for the summer. # scratches his arm covered in fiberglass insulation#

Mig

Sep 20, 2006
Birmingham
Ive just finished uni and will be starting work soon. Will see how much the SLC take from my wage.

BAck on topic, hows the supercharger project going? Was talking to my mate and he says he knows a mechanic that has supercharged his 2l 8v gti (golf) and apparently getting 240bhp!! Would this be possible from a 115bhp stock car?

F2 Ed

now has VAG com
Nov 5, 2006
www.superlite-wheels.com
Ive just finished uni and will be starting work soon. Will see how much the SLC take from my wage.

BAck on topic, hows the supercharger project going? Was talking to my mate and he says he knows a mechanic that has supercharged his 2l 8v gti (golf) and apparently getting 240bhp!! Would this be possible from a 115bhp stock car?

ARP rod bolts needed for sure, maybe forged connecting rods and pitted pistons. What boost is it packing?:confused:

Chrisdaman

Mar 21, 2007
Kingston
www.flickr.com
still no update i'm afraid, i want to get it all done as soon as possible so when i've got all the money needed (and my car working) then it should be done within a month.

graffacake

can you smell burning?
May 11, 2007
guildford
www.myspace.com
there is a bloke on the streetrace forum with a supercharged beeza. using the same as you, an eaton sc of a mini. he did the whole lot for about 400 quid i iirc, if you get stuck im sure he could help. make sur eyou get lots of pics :D

Chrisdaman

Mar 21, 2007
Kingston
www.flickr.com
mines a 1.8 16v, and mines not just a Cooper S charger, its a John Cooper S-Works charger, means 50 more bhp :D

i'm gna do it all properly, looking for 18psi roughly, gna cost around £900 all done, then the wheels and other bits, proper rally slag

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
if you read through the eaton site the info and scales listed suggest the m45 is spot on but you have the option of pulley altering for a little tweaking

but if you are going for the full on flat out more than anyone route til it breaks way of things then an M62 has a higher limit

Right... Basically, there's an M45 Mini Cooper S Works charger on eBay at the minute (same as Chris's) that I'm keeping my eye on but obviously I don't want to buy it if the M62 is more ideal.

Don't want stupid power. After 250+bhp...

Chrisdaman

Mar 21, 2007
Kingston
www.flickr.com
250bhp + isnt possible with m45, not even with the m62 i dont think, turbos are for big power

i'm aiming for 240bhp, which is more than enough

anyway i think 250bhp+ in a FWD is ridiculous, 250 is the limit i think

i would m62 for yours, its what george used on his Charged ABF, sounds wicked, and i think its 14.5secs 1/4 miles