surprising increase in fuel use when towing

perelaar

Jan 18, 2019
Sugartown Belgium
Last weekend we used the (optional extra) foldaway towhook on the Cupra Ateca. Mrs perelaar insisted on visiting Ikea for new cupboards, so trailer rented, and off we went. Single axle trailer, about 2,5m long.
Tip: don't go to Ikea on Saturday afternoon.

On the way there with an empty trailer I had to check regularly to see if it was still attached, could not feel a difference in the way the car behaved.
On the way back, with about 400kg of cupboard on board, I could definitely feel the weight. Pulling away was a lot easier in Sport mode, braking (unbraked trailer) was no issue. Since I'm not much used to driving with trailer attached I took it easy, but even so extra fuel use was impressive: 12,6l/100km instead of the normal 9. Ikea is on the road to the office, about 40km away, mainly highway - so I have a pretty good idea about the fuel use on that particular journey.

Anyone an idea on why the fuel consumption increased so much? I seem to remember driving with a trailer engages the all wheel drive, but did not know this would make such a difference. Promising for when we take our bikes out on the tow bar bike rack in summer...

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
Fuel consumption increase because your towing a weight. Extra weight means less aerodynamics, and extra force needed to move.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: perelaar

perelaar

Jan 18, 2019
Sugartown Belgium
I know, but I never experienced such a big difference before. When towing a similar trailer with my long-dead Nissan Terrano2 I hardly got a liter more, if at all (avg fuel consumption in that one was 12,5l/100km).

Dec 29, 2019
I know, but I never experienced such a big difference before. When towing a similar trailer with my long-dead Nissan Terrano2 I hardly got a liter more, if at all (avg fuel consumption in that one was 12,5l/100km).
Hallo, i have consumption abolutnie 11,5 for my new cupra ateca mixed using. I have made 6.000 km on the highways and city trafiks and i often USD a cupra driwing programme and a sport one.
Best Regards tor cupra driwers
GM

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello

Nissan Terrano was diesel though I bet?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.