suspension removal

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
Hi folks had a search on here for a suspension removal guide and managed to remove the rear spring and shock with no big probs, but how can i get the shock off the mounting bracket (i have removed the 2 x 17mm bolts that hold the strut in but there is a 17mm bolt holding the strut into the mounting bracket). Also anyone know the best way to get the front sock out of the arm :censored:. Cheers all

stuart86

Mar 14, 2006
West London
www.britishmods.com
this info should be made into sticky.. if only i took some pics aswell to go with it...

tools required....
7mm allen key
sockets 16/17mm are the common sizes for the top nut
jack
spring compressors

the fronts...

- loosen wheel nuts

- jack up car

- take wheel off

- put on the spring compressors

- take out the bolts from the lower suspension

- the hardest bit now is getting the suspension out of the lower suspension arm

- now undo the top mounts and the suspension will come free from the car.

fitting the new suspension should be self explanatory since you've got the old suspension out.

The rears...

- loosen wheel nuts

- jack up car

- take wheel off

you will notice the rears have a seperate spring and shock

- compress the spring and then loosen the lower bolt on the shock absorber

- the spring should come out now

- inside the wheel arch at the top of the shock are 2 bolts

- un-do these bolts and the shock absorber will come out

fitting the new spring and shock should now be self explanatory

hope this helps mate

as for getting it out of the lower arm brut force and elbow grease, you can try levering it out, or smacking it with a big hammer lol, but it is a bitch to do.

brad1

you can probably hire them, or somebody on here that lives near you might have some and might let you borrow if you ask nicely

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
stuart: cheers mate i had already printed ur guide out and was using it, but figured out that the top or the strut has to be taken of with a 16mm (might have been 17mm) and an adjustable spanner holding the centre pin in place. The Koni FSD kit used an allen key instead of the spanner which was alot easier (dont forget to put the plastic cap or the nut will rust on the top of the shock. I forgot to put both on and had to take both shocks out again :(). Was suprised how easy the rears were to change once i had done one.

You dont even need a set of spring compresors for the rears. Just get the car up on a jack or axle stands get someone to stand on the rear caliper which will push the suspension down enough to push the spring in. Found it a nightmare using compressors on the rears as there aint much room for the spring and the compressors bend it out of shape to make life harder.

Aint done the fronts yet cos couldnt get the shock out of the arm, but was looking online and there is a tool that goes onto a socket which u twist to free the shock so will invest in one and change them as soon as i can!!

Can notice a big difference with the handling even with just the rears on (hell of a weight difference in the new shock compared to the standard) and quality seems very good, was a little dissapointed with the ride height drop but will have to wait a few days for the Eibach springs to settle in (looks lower again this morning though). I know its only 25mm but mine needs it!!

Overall wish i could have fitted it all yesterday but gets dark so quick and been on the rally all weekend so couldnt face another cold night lol. Il let you all know how it feels with it all fitted

PS Sorry should relly have done a how 2 guide but just didnt have the time :(

porki

Mull Fember
Jul 26, 2007
Tunbridge Wells - Kent
on the leon top mounts i used a spark plug socket (cos it's nice and deep) and an allen key down thru the middle of the plug socket. the plug socket i have has a hex on the outside so just put an adjustable around that and held the allen key in place et viola. dunno if that helps, it's just what I did!

jiege01

Toledo TDI
Jan 11, 2006
Magherafelt, NI
http://www.autotech.com/prod_susp_susptools.htm
http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=400
http://www.germanautoparts.com/tools/Volkswagen/Suspension%20tools
thats what you want there, but its not needed. if you hammer a flat bladed screw driver into it it will spread it out. then just get a large plank of wood and a heavy hammer, and thump the hub downwards, the strut will come out. brute force and ignorance is required, especially if this is the first time removing it.

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
Nice one, i had a good go at doing that exactly as u said and shocked it a few times, but it didnt budge an inch so think il get that tool instead of spending hours again lol. Fair play they are proper on there tight!!!

jiege01

Toledo TDI
Jan 11, 2006
Magherafelt, NI
aww u could be thumping at it for 5 mins steady, gives u a good workout lol. it can be done without spreading the strut, just means more thumping lol. has it moved at all when u were hammering it?

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
it moved a tiny bit i think, but it is well stuck on there. im waiting to see if a guy will send the removal tool over from usa. anyone know where to get one from the UK?

Lumby

Jan 26, 2012
hi guys, may seem a stupid question but im new to this, do you have to completely remove the shock if you want to just replace the springs?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I believe someone has managed to replace the springs without removing the shock, but I have absolutely no idea how he managed it!! Everything about it suggests the strut has to come out.

Dainott, if you get yourself a socket adaptor (I can't remember which size, but one from this set would work http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160757545711), you should be able to wedge it in the gap, then if you use a socket wrench to turn it 45 degrees it should open the clamp quite nicely. It'll destroy the socket adaptor of course, but you only need to use it twice. The fact that it's fairly small and well out the way means you can leave it in place until you've finished with the suspension and put it all back together.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2008
Take hub and the strut off together off together, and use cableties instead of spring compressors. (I am not to be held responsible for loss of limbs)

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2008
Not really, I have changed loads of springs like that. Couple of people sit on the car whilst you zip tie them up. I would happily argue that it is safer than a set of those single hook spring compressors you see in halfords.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Not really, I have changed loads of springs like that. Couple of people sit on the car whilst you zip tie them up. I would happily argue that it is safer than a set of those single hook spring compressors you see in halfords.

I would agree that the hook spring compressors are not as guaranteed as people might think they are. I'd still happily argue that they're better than zipties though! :)

andylvzsam

Jan 15, 2013
South Wales
Hey guys I have a 2012 seat leon. Trying to get to the top front struts are a bit of a nightmare as I have all casing over it. Is there an easier way to get round it? Without taking the casing on bottom of front windshield off? Thanks

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Hey guys I have a 2012 seat leon. Trying to get to the top front struts are a bit of a nightmare as I have all casing over it. Is there an easier way to get round it? Without taking the casing on bottom of front windshield off? Thanks

No casing has to come off and also wiper arms

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise