Suspension replacement and identification help

adon30

Apr 18, 2008
Brummm Brummm
so looking at replacing the suspension on my 2.0tdi FR 2010. Cars done over 105k and having some ‘funnies’ to say the least with handling. Not 100% it’ll fix it but have front springs to replace and figured I may as well replace the other components.

Already have the springs as managed to identify them from the coloured dots. But how do I work out the other bits?
Using this
http://www.oemepc.com/seat/part_sin...bcategory/411010/part_id/1417132/lang/e#sec_8
But multiple options for the shock absorbers and can’t get the vin identification to work to try and narrow it down.

Any people that have done the job before? Any bolts or other sundries that may need replacing.

Also on the rear absorber mount are there any inbuilt bushes that may need replacing?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Not sure. Maybe post in the Listers and Horton section, ask for a quote and ask if they can give you the correct part number as well. At that mileage, I'd def replace the top mounts and bearings as well. That's if they don't already fall apart when you take them off. Also, the sway bar links can be a b!tch to get off. I had to saw off both sides in the end! So I'd consider adding them to the shopping cart.

adon30

Apr 18, 2008
Brummm Brummm
As I’d heard the front top mounts were a pig I hadn’t bothered to attack it with just the springs. Will be getting new top mounts and thrust bearing. May get a set of bolts as well as read some people snapped them.
At present with basically full suspension replacement including bottom arms and ball joints it’s around £400 for parts. Already have the springs which were about £150. Haven’t included any sway bar or tie rod ends yet though so will look into that.
People have mentioned that the arb is all flaky. Mines like this also but has anyone actually had a problem with this?

adon30

Apr 18, 2008
Brummm Brummm
Very useful replacement video showing all the tools required for suspension removal. Doubt it’s that easy in real life though

Front:

Rear

Last edited:

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Are you replacing absolutely everything or just shocks and springs?

Have you checked the rear camber and castor adjustment bolts are freely moving?

adon30

Apr 18, 2008
Brummm Brummm
I already have the springs as originally this was all I was going to change. However I now have on order front & rear shocks, top mounts, front bearing and arb struts, plus some screws and nuts.
Front shocks were a nightmare to source and have ended up getting them from main dealer.

The car was on the ramp today for something else and they checked around the suspension. The rear arm bushes are gone so I will need to repace those. I am really looking forward to having to remove the rear adjustment bolts!

The only other thing I will most probably do is the front ball joint, tie rod ends and control arm bush. Apparently the bush inside the actual A arm is solid so fingers crossed when I check this there is no movement. If there is any at all this will have to be replaced.

With the front control arm bush however I have been told that a good tip is to replace it with the bushes used on the Audi TT/ S3. The standard one has voids in the bush but the TT one is solid so reduces front end movement. Just need to source the right part now.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Front shocks were a nightmare to source and have ended up getting them from main dealer.

They're 60 quid each at ECP/CP4L ??

With the front control arm bush however I have been told that a good tip is to replace it with the bushes used on the Audi TT/ S3. The standard one has voids in the bush but the TT one is solid so reduces front end movement. Just need to source the right part now.

or fit the anti-lift kit.

The car was on the ramp today for something else and they checked around the suspension. The rear arm bushes are gone so I will need to repace those. I am really looking forward to having to remove the rear adjustment bolts!

If they're seized like mine were then honestly it's quicker and easier to drop the entire rear subframe and replace everything.

It's quite common so sellers sell a full kit for the job, this guy on eBay is selling a Meyle HD package which is pretty good stuff (double check it fits your car before buying first though).

adon30

Apr 18, 2008
Brummm Brummm
ECP sell generic shock absorbers. I had an issue with the cupra springs once and they were trying to sell me springs for a 1.4s claiming that they were compatiable. I'd rather make sure and get the correct part number for the car.
Was £150 for the pair anyway.

or fit the anti-lift kit.

What is the anti-lift kit? Is this compatiable with the diesel cars?

Marky N

Jul 15, 2014
London
I got my shocks changed on my 2010 Cupra by my local Mechanic. Car has done 130, 000. Of all places i purchased them from Amazon. Put your number plate in and hey presto. 4 Bilstein shocks and some new bump stops ( why not ) and the car has been fine. Had it done around 3 gears ago. I want to change the springs. Not sure what to go for. Eibach brand wise? I don't want to lower it. London has to many speed bumps and pot holes. I like the fact my car goes right over them without any trouble

Sent from my MI 8 Lite using Tapatalk

adon30

Apr 18, 2008
Brummm Brummm
OE shocks and springs appear to be Sachs. (Well they were with my car) So just replaced like for like. Handles a lot better already but still need to replace rear arms but haven't got around to checking if any of the other parts need replacing as well.

On the front I have found a lot more info. I will not be going with a polybushed anti lift kit on my car but will go with uprated solid bushes that they use on the RS3/TT.
Found this useful article on the VW forum.
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6854371-The-Different-OEM-Control-Arm-Bushing-Options

For the 1K0199231N / 232N parts, it is the N suffix part that is important as that denotes RS3/TT part. You can buy either the bush to pop in the old brackets yourself for around £13-15 or can buy a complete assembly for £26-40. Depends where you buy from and if you shop around. If you're made of money some places sell just the bushes for £50!!
Cupra R owners may already have uprated bushes like the S3 but couldn't quite work this out but expect them to be better than the standard range.

For improving Camber/ Caster on the front I have seen a lot of information around using Aluminium TT (and Passat?) front arms with the adjustable ball joint ends. Seen a lot of Mk5 Golf and A3 cars have done this rather than the anti lift route. I am not going to go down that route but just dropped it into my thread as people may want to investigate this further for themselves. Plenty of information and youtube videos out there

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Check if the alignment bolts are seized or not.

If they are seized (and you're doing the job at home) then just drop the rear subframe out and replace everything.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.