Swapping a petrol to diesel, what are the costs.

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
Do you think I could swap my 04 Petrol LC for a diesel LC, without having to put anymore money in?

If not how much would it cost to swap 04 LC Petrol for an diesel LC?

Last edited:

andycupra

status subject to change
At 25k a year I worked out diesel would save me £500 a year.

would have thought it was more than that for 25,000 miles a year!

assuming:
petrol @ 30mpg
diesel @ 50mpg

same price for diesel or petrol per litre (as most get super unleaded)

petrol costs for 12,000 miles is £1,763.6
diesel costs for 12,000 miles is £1,050.0

therefore on these figures a diesel would save you £713 per year based on fuel costs only.

so for 25,000 miles it would be nearly £1,500!

so knock off the extra costs of a diesel in way of servicing to get real saving.
also take into account if the diesel costs more to buy how much more you may be paying in interst if you take out a loan.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Well, I'll wait and see if I get 50mpg (I've got a weasel comng soon), and 95 unleaded IS cheaper than diesel. I used the average fuel costs of some web site of other.

Like you say, servicing and purchase price need to be factored in.

I'll admit that I was trying to justify NOT getting an oil burner though :whistle:

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
Diesel tax depends on year, my 04 is £63 per 6 months.

I think the cheaper petrol per litre argument is laughable when you look at mpg.

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
look at it this way, petrol is at most 2p cheaper than diesel depending on where you live i guess....

55 litre tank, 2p per litre, thats £1.10 per tank, say 1 tank a week....£57.20 per year.

thats easily wiped out by the difference in tax!

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Yeah, but if you're counting the pennies, you're not going to be paying 6-7p a litre more for V-Power Unleaded, are you :rolleyes:

You could do a like for like and compare V-Power UL prices with Ultimate Diesel Prices if you want to get picky :D

Why does everyone get wound up when this subject comes up?

Diesels used to be much, much cheaper to run. But now, as you would expect, as more people have shifted to Diesels the price (tax) on diesel has gone up closing the gap. Road Fund Licence for oil burners has also gone up. Alsthough, purchase prices for Dervs used to be much higher, but now they've dropped too.

All I'm saying is, for me, even considering the mileage I do and the corresponding tax I pay, including a fiddle factor for (what I consider to be) fun, the difference is not as great as some people insist.

Do your sums carefully...

Skorchio

600 Miles to a tank :)
Jan 23, 2007
Nr Milton Keynes
look at it this way, petrol is at most 2p cheaper than diesel depending on where you live i guess....

55 litre tank, 2p per litre, thats £1.10 per tank, say 1 tank a week....£57.20 per year.

U cant grade it like that. Becasue a tank of deisel will last you so much longer.

swissrebel

May 17, 2007
So a... 20% increased efficiency? With prices at... 96p Petrol, 98 Diesel - where I live (and oh-so-close) to the pound.

That means, at 10,000 miles a year - £890 for Diesel, £1092 for Petrol.

You're saving like 200 quid a year per 10k.

But this depends on the model of Leon - my 1.6 is apparently 39MPG, whereas the LCRs are something like 10MPG less? And let's be fair, LCR owners are slightly less concerned with MPG than the rest of us (no offence of course guys! ;) )

The original guess of about 500quid for 25,000 miles is good - plus any money you save on tax.

Realistically, a 500 quid saving isn't going to be a massive relief, since that money will be going straight back into servicing :)

Personally, i'd say sod it - petrol's gonna run out soon, i'm ignoring the price and making the most of it before we're all made to run hybrids :|

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire

That completely ignores the fact that while petrol cars are getting 250-320 miles from a tank, oil burners are getting 500+ miles from the same sized tank. So you can either do nearly double the mileage for the same money in a week, or fill up once a fornight instead of once a week. Either way your fuel bill has very nearly halved.

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Wouldn't advise anyone to be running their LC/LCR on 95RON fuel. It just isn't of a high enough grade.

If money is so tight you cannot extend to another few pence per litre, in order to keep the engine drinking the juice it loves the most.. then you probably should be owning a car with a race engine.

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
Fuel USAGE you mean.

If you're going to be picky, both.

If you travel 250 miles in one week, in a diesel you'll use approx half the amount of fuel compared to a petrol, and therefore its cost you approx half as much.

Lickwid - that discussion has been done may many times before. Its not a 'race engine' by any stretch of the imagination, and using good quality 95 RON fuel on a day to day basis will do no harm at all. Granted you probably loose a very small amount of power thanks to the ECU making adjustmets to suit, but does it really matter? No. If it spent its life at the redline having every last bhp squeezed from it, like a dedicated track car, that would be different.

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
If you're going to be picky, both.

If you travel 250 miles in one week, in a diesel you'll use approx half the amount of fuel compared to a petrol, and therefore its cost you approx half as much.

Lickwid - that discussion has been done may many times before. Its not a 'race engine' by any stretch of the imagination, and using good quality 95 RON fuel on a day to day basis will do no harm at all. Granted you probably loose a very small amount of power thanks to the ECU making adjustmets to suit, but does it really matter? No. If it spent its life at the redline having every last bhp squeezed from it, like a dedicated track car, that would be different.

In a bit of a mood today, Reg?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.