swapping an engine

rideonracing

Peter McCormick
Aug 3, 2009
Fife, Scotland
hi folks, was lookin for a bit o help, im needing a new 1.8t engine and i currently have a 225bhp BAM code engine in my cupra-r jst now, (hole in piston!!:cry:) would it be possible if i put a cupra 180bhp AUM engine code in and use my BAM turbo and ecu, will i still have 225bhp or only 180bhp? i was told i could use the AUM engine and use all my apponets such as injectors, ko4 turbo and ecu etc...

ne1 know nething abt this and if it will work???

PLEASE HELP!!!!:blink:

CupraJ1

Nov 20, 2009
Well I have just swapped my AUQ engine for a BAM and no problems except the secondary air system had a pipe I could not connect, prob not an issue other way round, but mine runs sweet

MeloVTi

Jul 20, 2010
Portugal
I can't answer your question.
You probably will have no major problems with the swap.
But I think my point is more important...
Are the internals of both engines the same?
Same pistons, rods, crackshaft...? Compression ratio...
This concern is just because you are going backwards about the engine.
One thing I’ve been told, the throttle body of you engine is bigger that the one in the 180hp engine.
Besides that, I’m pretty sure that if you are not running radical HP, it should work fine.

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
I have just bought a car from a mate with either a hole in the piston or knackered piston rings, i've been weighing up replacement engine / fix existing engine.
For a replacement engine your looking at about 700 quid plus fitting if your not too handy but for that price you could replace rods & pistons with forged items and have a bullet proof bottom end.

Suppose the questions to ask are -
Can you change the engine yourself / or pay for installation of new engine ?
Are you planning on tuning it ? (i.e will you be taking it above the limit of the weak-ish rods)
If its just suffered one piston failure i would investigate why ???? have you had the boost turned up and caused the mixture to lean out causing detonation?
Why not just get some new rings / one piston from a dealer and have the engine repaired?

If your happy with standard-ish power then an engine swap from the earlier 1.8T should be fine as the power of the R is down to the k04 turbo different throttle bodys etc which should just bolt onto a replacement engine.

Im personnally gonna stroke the engine by changing the crank for a tdi one and bore the block to 83mm. This will put me in good stead for my future Big Turbo plans.

rockmonkey69

Think graham's spot on there, don't forget that while the BAM can run the k04 mapped up fine all day long without any worry it does run lower compression than other 1.8t variants with the k03/s turbo as standard so there's less headroom there. I've seen people bend rods on AUM/AUQ at around 300 ft-lb before.

Charlie10

It will work fine just the internals will be a lot weaker and coolingwill be much less

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
All the blocks are the same castings and apparently the conrods are all the same other than some have 19mm and some have 20mm wrist pins, the pistons are forged in the BAM but for sure the limit on bottom end reliability with be conrod related....

And how will the cooling be less ?

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Weird, i bought a bam block for my 2.1 build and it looks identical to the auq original and the agu one i was using, the lower piston spray jet nozzles look slightly different on the bam to the ones on the auq & agu but the actual casting looks the same, maybe the internal cooling chambers are larger though, i will have a closer inspection of the bam block next time im in the garage.