Ta Ta Golf Mk6 ....Elo' SEAT Leon III..at last

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
Collected it this morning, then drove 300 odd miles home - Loved it.

Passed a new black FR on the M6 'DG14 *** en route, another collected in England and being driven back up North.

Dead beat, night night.

Edit...bit more awake now

Picked the car up from a SEAT Dealer in the Midlands on Saturday, thought this day would never come it’s been a long haul waiting for this one for some reason, think I signed myself up to SCN too early, ...all dressed up with nowhere to go type thing :D

It was a great drive home [B)], what a sweet engine, chomping along there good style with the rev counter showing it wasn't even trying, plenty of oomph when called for to boot - <big tick goes here> slick manual box <another tick> ..ditto on the gearing.

Not so sure on my choice of colour, hardly been on the road for long when I pulled in for fuel, that white fair highlights the **** on it, who would've imagined that :p I'll just need to clean it more often I guess, always fancied white so I cannie complain, at least it’s out of my system now..

Initial Observations

Expected the rear view to be quite restricted going by reviews but I found it anything but, a non-issue for me.

Loved the Sat Nav, it got plenty use, in fact loved the whole dashboard media interface tbh, and the wee abridged driver display. Thought the default background looked pretty good, can’t see me changing it ...but I'll have a swatch at the carbon background on the VCDS first hook up seeing as everybody else is lol.

Didn’t like the 3 jet spray windscreen wash, it’s like a step back, got the replacement fan washers here anyway - on the to-do list.

Jury is out on the digital fuel indicator, not so keen on the jump from the relaxed two fuel lights indicated straight into a solitary red with display warning, seemed a bit abrupt to me, ..Early days I know.

I see the default prolonged plip hold raises and lowers the windows, same as the golf, the SEAT Leon MkII 2.0 Tdi I had I'm sure the wing mirror fold in/out was the default, no doubt VCDS will enlighten more on that one. *Edit.. spotted the check box on the MFD, now mirror fold on lock/unlock :)

The rear wash dribble is back, just has to fire out that wee dribble after the wipers are done to leave that annoying line down the rear window Grrr ...you can put a man on the moon ffs lol

No headlight adjustment switch? :shrug: Need to dig out the manual on that one *Edit.. self levelling that's why :rolleyes:

Apart from personal stuff in storage areas, no rattles/vibrations were evident woohooo!

Its a right short clutch, to be expected with the 'Hill hold' I suppose, kind of go hand in hand.

Personal Niggles...

Footrest

Left foot slipping about on it and that was a dry foot, never shifted on the Golf, be plain plastic likely, needs a fix, for me anyway, it was so evident stepping from one to the other, some sticky back black anti-slip doo dah will suffice, that’s the technical name btw lol - On the to-do list.

Boot

Had to get out to re-shut the boot anytime I’ve been in it, warning on display, my closing touch carrying too much finesse with it being new likely, give it a week and we'll be kicking it shut, ...early days. Doesn't go fully up on opening, banged my head a few times due to that, might change through strut use and time.

Storage Areas

Oddments rattling in the door dookit and the central cup storage area, coins, keys etc. - I'll source some thin rubber sheet and line the bottom of these areas, glove box too, might source black felt for that.

Horn

Needs to go, anyone replaced theirs yet? Might try the £6 twin snail horn set off eBay everyone’s selling, space permitting.

To-Do List..so far

Change remaining bulbs to make lighting fully LED

• Glove box & Boot - Done [eBay item number:281064527024] *Edit.. not so sure on the boot light?? ...tbc
• Rear Indicators - Done [AliExpress] £17.07 a pair
• Rear Reverse - Done [eBay item number:261169683340]
• Rear Fog/Front Fogs? - ...Will I wont I? nah, I'll pass on that and spend the money elsewhere.

VCD's
  • Needle Sweep [Staging] - Done
  • Lap Timer enable - Done
  • Chirp on Lock/Unlock - Done
  • Carbon Background - Never Happened? ...tbc. Done *Edit.. worked second time around, preferred the default background so reverted back to option '1'
  • Mirror fold/unfold with Fob 1 click - Done

Fit fan washer jets - Done [eBay item number:321197661391] *need adjusting, too low *Edit.. no adjustment needed at all, check your spray in real time ie: when motoring
Replace boot carpet with Flexible Rubber Tray/Liner - Done [eBay item number: 121173963977]
Replace horn - ?
Line the bases of all the cubby holes with rubber -
Line Glove box with black felt or similar
Line Under Seat Storage Compartment - Done Used a section from a thin rubber boot mat sold by Aldi in their car promotion weeks (cost £5), used a carpet glue aerosol spray, not recommended sticks too quick, double sided tape would have been a better option.

Fault History/Log

11.04.2014 Ill fitting facia on roof consul - Self sort, poorly put together, refitted proper now looking good.
14.04.2014 Centre Armrest broke - 13 days old, ratchet aspect workie no more ..garage job

Last edited:

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
I was full of woe dropping off the Golf, worried I was making a big mistake having never even driven the Leon but the worries were short lived once I got settled into the motor. Loved it, what an engine, had characteristics akin to diesel driving with the low down torque band. Nudging the ton before you know it, rev counter barely over 3000rpm, taking it all in its stride.

Early days I know but I can say with confidence I've no regrets. Aye there's a few personal niggles with it but overall sitting in that driving cockpit is a happy place to be.

SluggCone

Mar 3, 2014
South England
Good times, that is good to hear.

I was looking at the Golf but it was just our of my price range but the Leon is a massive improvement on my 2007 Fiesta haha.

Really looking forward to getting mine this weekend :)

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
I was looking at the Golf but it was just our of my price range but the Leon is a massive improvement on my 2007 Fiesta haha.

Really looking forward to getting mine this weekend :)

As was the FR for me, toyed with the 1.2 FR but wasn't sure on the 1.2 aspect so stayed with the 1.4 engine, having said that after ordering and signing up to SCN the 1.2 tsi performance gets a thumbs up across the board. No complaints well happy with my lot :)

You're in for a treat SC, roll on saturday eh :D

SluggCone

Mar 3, 2014
South England
Well it also went in my favour that I was looking at 1.4 SE with Tech Pack when the dealer quoted me they quoted on SE price but for an FR - they also put the order form through for an FR at SE price so looks like im getting about £3k off which is also happy days!!!

Mk1Cortina1964

Mk1 Cortina 0-60 19.0secs
Feb 20, 2014
North Suffolk
Andy - "No headlight adjustment switch? Need to dig out the manual on that one"

If this is what you mean, there should be a small horizontal red roller to the right of your lights multi-switch, according to P115 of the manual - not sure because, unlike you, I HAVEN'T GOT MINE YET! :cry:

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London

If this is what you mean, there should be a small horizontal red roller to the right of your lights multi-switch, according to P115 of the manual - not sure because, unlike you, I HAVEN'T GOT MINE YET! :cry:

Mine does not have the switch either, just a blanking plate.

I assume that with the convenience pack/led lights that they are self leveling :)

And congratulations on the new car Andy, glad you are enjoying mostly and hope it treats you well :)

Last edited:

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
Is that boot liner you linked to for a LHD car or is the boot shape the same?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

MikeFr

Mar 3, 2014
Hi Andy, I've just joined after picking my leon up on Saturday. I want to do some of the things you've done to yours.
I believe no level adjustment for lights because of having LEDs.

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London

Funny you should ask,
Ordered last Thursday and received it today.
Don't think it says but I think the boot shape should be the same for LHD and RHD cars.
Mine is uk so RHD and fits perfectly in the SC and seems pretty good quality.

I just cut a couple of slots in each side of the mat where the cargo mounts are as I use a bunjee cord to keep the box with all by fluids and detailing gear in from moving around :)

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland

Sixysix hit the nail on the head, self levelling with the LED

Mine does not have the switch either, just a blanking plate.

I assume that with the convenience pack/led lights that they are self leveling :)

And congratulations on the new car Andy, glad you are enjoying mostly and hope it treats you well :)

Yep, same blanking plate here where the roller levelling switch would've been on the Golf.

Cheers SS, just wish the weather was better so we can bond lol

Virtually an exact fit Terry, I got sent a picture of it in situ from someone that had already bought it from the same supplier, just the slight intrusion of the two securing lugs SixySix spoke about, you can see one on the photo, Picture from a Leon MkIII FR

2m6wjo0.jpg
Hmm dont think I have that net in mine

Checked the tyre pressures this morn, before calibrating the TPM and they were virtually spot on, that's a first for me on a new car

Last edited:

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
Sorry Terry, I thought you were asking me about the boot mat :lol:

Andy, I was going to order the same one from the bay although I think it was from Poland or somewhere close and kind of put me off a bit but does look like good quality with a good amount of grip.

I got mine from here...

http://www.leisureshack.co.uk/seat-leon-mk3-boot-liner-bl193074.aspx

They also have listings on ebay as well at the same price of £32.95 inc delivery.

Both look to be a good fit though and will defo fit both 3 & 5 door versions :)

The sun is coming,
up to 14 and dry later this week! :lol:

AJ

Oct 16, 2013
Great write up and glad you're enjoying you're new motor and the wait is finally over :)

Where did you get your replacement washers from? Also seeing the pic of that boot liner I might have to invest in one too! Lol

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
Great write up and glad you're enjoying you're new motor and the wait is finally over :)

Was there a wait? :confused: never really noticed, time just seemed to fly by :whistle:

Where did you get your replacement washers from? Also seeing the pic of that boot liner I might have to invest in one too! Lol

eBay for the Fan washer jets Aj, same washers as mentioned in the 'how to' thread, a two minute fit. I've updated the initial post with the eBay link ;)

I've never really saw the sense of carpeted boots, just to soak up wet and add to the interior humidity. A rubber boot liner is more user friendly imo. The boot is more of an annex to the hut. Thought that with it not having the underside filled with a spare wheel and it mostly being a void, the rubber itself would add another layer of road noise dampening. I've a dog that sheds hair big time as well, murder to hoover out of a carpet but a breeze with a liner. Will double as a ground mat if your working on the car outside, insulate the ol' derrière a bit from the cold pavement. That's the theory anyway

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
Sorry Terry, I thought you were asking me about the boot mat :lol:

Andy, I was going to order the same one from the bay although I think it was from Poland or somewhere close and kind of put me off a bit but does look like good quality with a good amount of grip.

I got mine from here...

http://www.leisureshack.co.uk/seat-leon-mk3-boot-liner-bl193074.aspx

They also have listings on ebay as well at the same price of £32.95 inc delivery.

Both look to be a good fit though and will defo fit both 3 & 5 door versions :)

The sun is coming,
up to 14 and dry later this week! :lol:

Missed your post SS, Yep, it is the Poland one, the tracking from whatever carrier they use has been spot on, hope the liner matches. I ordered it with the comfort of knowing someone else had bought the same item from them, makes the decision easier.

Roll on the sun the UK could do with a good drying out :)

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
The Polski boot tray/liner landed, few pictures for anyone wondering on the fit

8x4p3l.jpg

2qcnwgh.jpg

2zoysmt.jpg

5zle0p.jpg

2qsxism.jpg

63w3kk.jpg

Only minor criticism is that when it was modelled it was when the small net area was standard in the boot, it could go in a bit where the net used to be, but it's neither here nor there for me.

Last edited:

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
Noticed this when mooching around in the boot

259hmdu.jpg

A few times the driver display has warned me the boot hasn't been closed properly, wonder if its been like that overnight :shrug:

:think: I'll keep an eye on it anyway, but with the amount of boot not closed warnings I've had I may as well adjust the boot lid stops on either side.

Last edited:

dieselface

Jul 1, 2010
Andy,

That doesn't seem right to me. I can rinse my car heavily around the boot and I see zero ingress through the seal.

One to keep an eye on!!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.