Tdi Faq

slimjim

Professional Muppet
Feb 1, 2005
Telford, UK
www.jameshardacre.com
Whats thte difference.... between ....

I just found this little nugget. You guys have explained this to me ... But I thought this may help more newbies.... [B)]

Some Website said:
Non-PD Vs PD

In a gasoline engine, a mixture of fuel and air is compressed and then ignited with an electrical spark. A diesel engine relies purely on compression to ignite the mixture. When air is compressed it heats up - ever notice how hot the pump and hose get when hand-pumping a bicycle tire or ball? The amount of compression required for ignition in a diesel engine is far greater than that used in a spark ignition engine. So upon ignition, a significantly greater force is applied to the crankshaft resulting in greater torque.

The previous 1.9 litre turbo diesel engine - in fact, in most modern diesels - used a system where the fuel air mixture was introduced via a common rail. These systems generate a swirling motion of the air around the intake valves through especially designed intake ports. This motion causes faster mixture with the fuel when it is introduced and thus more complete combustion. This, in turn leaves less unburned fuel and emissions.

Pumpe Duse is a new fuel management and delivery system that places a pump injector at each individual cylinder producing a finer spray for better and more efficient combustion. Instead of a pre-combustion chamber found in most diesels, fuel is injected directly into each individual combustion chamber under terrific pressure at precisely the right moment. The PD works like an overhead cam system, using cam lobes to determine the timing and amount of the spray into each cylinder. The new system reduces heat loss, results in a quieter, cleaner engine, faster cold weather starts and improved low-end torque.

Hope that helped SOMEONE ... :thumbup:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
slimjim said:
I just found this little nugget. You guys have explained this to me ... But I thought this may help more newbies....

[ pedantic mode on ]

in most modern diesels - used a system where the fuel air mixture was introduced via a common rail.
Only the fuel is introduced via the common rail ? Air comes via normal inlet valves.

Instead of a pre-combustion chamber found in most diesels, fuel is injected directly into each individual combustion chamber under terrific pressure at precisely the right moment.
Most car diesel engines abandoned the pre-combustion chamber ages ago, and have been direct-injection for quite some time, the quoted statement applies equally to common-rail engines and pre-PD TDIs, as well as PDs. The main difference is that the PD system achieves a much higher injection pressure than common rail.

The PD works like an overhead cam system, using cam lobes to determine the timing and amount of the spray into each cylinder.
If my understanding is correct, the cam lobes do drive the pumps to build up pressure, but there's also electronic control of each injector too. The wires to each injector run internally through the cylinder head, laying in the oil. See this rather techy post for more in depth details of the PD pumps/injectors.

[ pedantic mode off ]
[ hoping-my-facts-are-correct mode on ]

:)

Niall

Aug 6, 2003
www.testrake.com
Well i have got my Pierburg MAF and it is going in tomorrow. According to some sites; due to the mapping of the MAF it can give between 5-10% power hike.
:thumbup:

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
A very very [very] good site with TONS of technical pdfs about almost every VAG engine/car,,, and obviously even about our beloved tdi,,,
Parts schemes and most of all, tons of manuals!!
It's in russian but the few words in english make it usable and the main part of the pdfs is in english.

http://volkswagen.msk.ru

Hope you enjoy this very good stuff, have fun with it.

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
Since the old post by paulo lost its pics, I'll use my beloved attachments space for the tdifaq,,, and you say I never think about you guys!!

This is a 90hp engine. If anybody needs any info about this and the 110 engine pm me, I'll try and provide it. I'm quite well documented about it.

attachment.php

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise