Tdi Leon Cupra - limp mode

merlin051

Oil Burner!
Aug 22, 2006
North East, Darlington
ok guys, this is a post for my mate who has a leon cupra tdi, his car is randomly going into limpmode.

but when it does this the fault light doesnt normally come on, turn the car off and on again and its fine no limp mode anymore.

last night this happend, limp mode so he pulled over turned off/on again and it was fine, then to tst it he decided to boot it, and supprise supprise, limp mode again. this happend at about 70-80(not sure on what gear)

Last night however the light stayed on and limp mode wont shift, so we're going to check the fault codes out today, but just wondering if anyone has any experience wiht this problem, i did a little searching and found this thread but it doesnt really give a specific action(other than change the maf.)

thanks in advance guys

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
I think your mate needs to get the car hooked up to VAG-COM or similar to get the fault codes as it could be any number of things at fault.

merlin051

Oil Burner!
Aug 22, 2006
North East, Darlington
yeah, gonna go check it with vagcom at dinner time, would it be ok to un-plug the maf and drive it like that and see if the fault re-produces itself?

that way will know if its definitly the maf, only incase its not showing any faults (unlikely)

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
Dont think its recommended to drive without the maf plugged in for any long distances but for a short while I think its ok - or at least when I asked a similar question that was pretty much the response I got

merlin051

Oil Burner!
Aug 22, 2006
North East, Darlington

Mark Thorpe

id take it in to a garage if i was you..

is that Darlington near Durham?

if so.. avoid St Pauls motors.. some me a dodgy car which is having alot of problems..

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
there is a seat bulletin on this to remove the turbo and thoroughly clean out. think they got fed up paying for new turbos under warranty lol its a common problem, any hint of overboost and limp mode kicks in. usually still means a new turbo im afraid but if its warranty, have to go thru the procedures first . . you could check the actuator rod isnt sticking, seen that recently in the workshop. or look at the boost solenoid mounted on the bulkhead. there are 2 side by side - look like screenwash pumps, one works the turbo and one is for the egr circuit. if its this ( common too) its only £30 to fix. think one is 1J0906627 and the other is 1J0906627A

lei9h

Check all the intake hoses and i do mean all of them. also check the O rings on each section of hose.....they wear out.
i had exactly the same problem with my LC TDI. Turned out it was the O rings on the section of pipe from the EGR valve.
Replaced. no more probs.
lets know how you get on

jonnygfx

My car has just went into limp mode today climbing a overtake lane at about 70 it died on me , pulled over and restarted it was fine, there were no lights on dash though.

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
My car has just went into limp mode today climbing a overtake lane at about 70 it died on me , pulled over and restarted it was fine, there were no lights on dash though.

Im late to the thread, but working at the dealership Mk1 Leons were notorious for this. The wastegate was prone to stick, causing overboost hence limp mode. Sometimes cleaning it out and moving it up and down cured it but often as not it means a turbo.
Anyone in Northern Ireland try Peter at Transmission Services Ballymoney on 028 27666660.
We use him regularly for all makes of car turbos, average cost around £480 for a fully rebuilt unit. Best part is that in 5 years we have never had one of his units.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.