tdi sport 130 remaped no difference? Remap reviews please

Gaz44

Aug 19, 2009
Jesus Christ one of these topics again.
Can a standard 130 beat a mapped 130 if both are operating normally.
No

Stop arguing about Dervs and Petrol.
I'm a Petrol 1.8T Cupra and I miss my Derv! Its all personal preference! Both have their own advantages.
I just liked boy racers loosing to cloud of black smoke!

I hear what you are saying but some of us are having a decent discussion about it. Being new to diesel cars and hearing the other side of the discussion/arguement having owned a petrol, it's interesting.

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Hmm See I understand what your saying also but sometimes people get too defensive about their particular cars, Normally its the petrol boys to be honest ;)
Having driven both a Diesel and a Petrol, if your looking for nice engine note, Long gears and the smell of petrol. Then its petrol for you.

If you want economy, similar overall power but quicker delivery with shorter gears go with the Diesel.
I'm a petrol boy and I'm saying if you can bear not having a powerful sounding exhaust note go with the Derv, Better economy, similar power and beautiful volumes of torque.

Basically its so close in terms of things you might aswell close your eyes and just pick one because to be honest their both amazing cars and you wont be disappointed in either.

beeko85

Apr 27, 2009
Bangor, N.I
yeah im not saying one is better than the other, ive owned both too and love both, would have happily bought a tdi fr instead of the tfsi, and will prob go back to diesel for my next car too, the fuel econemy is going to be too much of an issue eventually, i just wanted to have a proper turbo petrol 'hot hatch' at some point, always wanted a golf gti, now seemed like the time so i did.
i dont particularly rate one over the other, both have their advantages. im just saying that 0-60 inst a strong point for diesels with their gearing etc, but yes they do make up for it with mid range punch, not being defensive at all, i was very close to getting the tdi and getting the dpf removed-just staing the pros and cons of each.

jaz205gti

Jan 1, 2009
that’s a interesting theory about the weight of passat vs. Ibiza , I can actually relate to that as my previous toledo seemed to have better handling than my Ibiza sport, could be something to do with weight distribution as Ibiza is very front heavy and maybe putting someone in the back could help the handling. However your times where lap times hence lots of cornering, I suspect if the put the two cars in a straight line race the Ibiza would win easily. So in relation 0-60 30-70 times should be noticeably different compared to a mapped Ibiza and passat

SteveC123

Torquing TDI
Jul 5, 2009
Yeah thats a great example, two cars exactly the same, both hot hatches but with different engines, eg the current model civic s types.
Same power output 138 bhp. identical 0-60 times, 8.6 according to what car mag.Yet the diesel has 320nm of torque, as opposed to the petrol which only has 174.

The diesel has 320nm of *peak* torque, is the point.

The spread of torque is just as important as the peak figure - the petrol will have less torque but this is available over more of the rev range than the diesel.

The diesel however, will be pulling harder when in its respective power band, and this is why they invariably feel quicker.

*Some* cars will have more peak torque than others, but over less of the rev range... which is where gearing can make all the difference and this is true when comparing your average diesel to its comparable petrol bretheren.

Add all the above up, and you then see why VAG implemented six speed boxes on its more powerful diesels... and as I have already said, is why you might get lag from changing up more off the lights in a (decent) diesel, but this is offset by the amount of power you've got to pull your way through the higher ratio gears.

One of the things we have done when mapping my TDIs is to try to spread the torque over more of the rev range... meaning you've more power to hang on to in each gear.

The Passat was more receptive to this, but we've not finished the Ibiza yet... and given I'm getting bored with it, I may end up flogging it before I get round to doing this. :)

SteveC123

Torquing TDI
Jul 5, 2009
that’s a interesting theory about the weight of passat vs. Ibiza , I can actually relate to that as my previous toledo seemed to have better handling than my Ibiza sport, could be something to do with weight distribution as Ibiza is very front heavy and maybe putting someone in the back could help the handling. However your times where lap times hence lots of cornering, I suspect if the put the two cars in a straight line race the Ibiza would win easily. So in relation 0-60 30-70 times should be noticeably different compared to a mapped Ibiza and passat

Maybe.

0-60... I think the Passat got its power down better tbh, but had to clear 1st gear before it really got into its stride, whereas the Ibiza seems better in 1st, when it's not spinning up. ;)

In short, I'm not all that impressed with the chassis of the Ibiza compared to the Passat.

30-70... I don't think there would be that much in it.

Handling wise, yes the Passat almost certainly had more equal weight distribution as well as the other chassis plus points I mentioned before.

One mate who watched me slinging that round the track mentioned it did quite a bit of 'leg cocking' on bends, as in it kept lifting the inside rear wheel like Clios tend to do when pushed hard on bends etc. [B)]

A good sign the chassis was nice and stiff on such a big car, anyway.

*sigh*

I really do miss that car - it gave all sorts of supposedly more sporty smaller stuff a really hard time on both the road and the track and was more comfy ride wise, plus it had loads of room for 'entertaining' in the back. :whistle:

Today I sussed something else out as well... the Ibiza is heavily loaded up insurance wise despite it being only a group seven.

My son turned 17 on Saturday, so just out of interest I ran some quotes today on various cars including the Ibiza, with him as the main driver and me as a named driver, the quotes for TPFT were:

106 1.1 (IG 3) = £985
Clio Diesel (IG 4) = £1080
Passat TDI Sport 130 (IG 12) = £4050!

Ok... so look at the spread of cars so far, and their respective insurance groups... the Ibiza is group 7, so how much do you reckon they quoted on that?

£2k?

Nope.... £3995!

Last edited:

broadbandings

Sep 17, 2009
when i rang to swap my clio 182 to the cupra tdi, i was told that the seat is rated at group 75 and the clio is 70 (they use a funny system of IG's)

why is that?

0-60 times are quite different!

SteveC123

Torquing TDI
Jul 5, 2009
That is a lot. Is the ibiza worth more/newer than the passat?

Passat was an 03 plate.

Ibiza, a 53 plate.

Value wise, if they were on equal mileage terms, the Passat would be worth a bit more.

It makes no sense whatsoever other than Ibizas must have a really bad reputation with insurers when it comes to younger drivers - it does have to be said they're kind of a latter day Nova / 106 when it comes to being the 'car choice of scrotes' (1). ;)

To put the price into perspective, I got quotes for it fully comp for just me off confused.com, and the cheapest for fully comp, admittedly with full NCB, was £295.

(1) Why do you think I got one??? :D

Last edited:

SteveC123

Torquing TDI
Jul 5, 2009
when i rang to swap my clio 182 to the cupra tdi, i was told that the seat is rated at group 75 and the clio is 70 (they use a funny system of IG's)

why is that?

0-60 times are quite different!

The 0-60 isn't *that* different. ;)

(0.6 of a second is nothing really in the real world)

Parkers rates the Cupra as group 15, the Clio 182 as 16.

broadbandings

Sep 17, 2009
ive never seen a scrote driving about in a cupra

im going to change companies i think mine are having a laugh. the only real difference between my cupra and the clio are that the cupra is *slightly* slower. same value etc. so why its more expensive i do not know!!!

Gaz44

Aug 19, 2009
ive never seen a scrote driving about in a cupra

im going to change companies i think mine are having a laugh. the only real difference between my cupra and the clio are that the cupra is *slightly* slower. same value etc. so why its more expensive i do not know!!!

Insurance now...what next?

There are many factors involved in insurance groups, 0-60 not being one.

seat_rich

Five atoms
Jul 29, 2009
More Cupras get stolen?

Fewer accidents than the Clio, but much more expensive to pay out?

Just guesses though.

Gaz44

Aug 19, 2009
what do you think the factors are in this instance?

1. Damage and Parts Costs: The likely extent of damage to each car model and the cost of the parts involved in its repair. The lower these costs, the more likelihood there is of a lower group rating.
2. Repair Times: Longer repair times mean higher costs and the greater likelihood of a higher group rating. Different paint finishes on modern vehicles are an important factor. These too are taken into account.
3. Value: The prices of new cars identify the higher specification models within a model range.
4. Body Shells: The availability of body shells (the basic frame of the vehicle) is taken into account in insurance group ratings because they are essential for certain accidental damage repairs.
5. Performance: Insurance companies know very well, from their claims statistics, that high performance cars often result in more frequent insurance claims. So I guess 0-60 does have an influence but it's more to do with the power output.
6. Security: Security features fitted as standard equipment by motor manufacturers can help to reduce car insurance claims costs. Such features include high security door locks, alarm/immobilisation systems, glass etching, coded audio equipment, locking devices for alloy wheels and visible VIN numbers.

jaz205gti

Jan 1, 2009
My insurance company said if I slightly modified a prelude v-tec few years back the insurance would be cheaper as statistics showed modified preludes where less likely to have a claim than standard

Strange that!

Gaz44

Aug 19, 2009
My insurance company said if I slightly modified a prelude v-tec few years back the insurance would be cheaper as statistics showed modified preludes where less likely to have a claim than standard

Strange that!

Very strange!

jaz205gti

Jan 1, 2009
Omg just a update I started this thread 9 years ago , just sold my 335d as it was going my head in low profiles shredding tires on potholes and driving in city wasn’t the best. Anyway iv got a stop car my partners mint Ibiza tdi sport 130bhp the same model I had 9 years ago and strange as it seems I prefer the Ibiza to the 335d as a everyday car. The Ibiza has only got 100k can’t believe the power it has I wanted a remap never got around to it last time. I feel like a boy racer again lol, But discussion back up this Ibiza feels faster than my last one any remap companies around Birmingham anyone can recommend?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.