Tdi Toledo Starting problems

159chrisymc

Dec 24, 2015
i have the muscle down the egr now, it took off the actuator so i could tell if there was any resistance when moving the lever but i have to hit it with a bar to make it move,hopefully it starts to free up or the turbo might need to come off :(

d.mccarthy16

Aug 3, 2014
With mine I'd lo leave it soak for about 3 hours. I came back every half an hour or so to move the actuator and top up with mr. muscle. Eventually it should start to free out. Be patient with it anyways, may need to even let it just soak in overnight :)

159chrisymc

Dec 24, 2015
i have mr muscle down the egr valve now, i also took off the actuator to see if there was must resistance on the vains an i had to hit closed with a bar,hope it frees up or the turbo will have to come off :(

159chrisymc

Dec 24, 2015
i took off the down pipe as well an fill it to with mr muscle to give it the best chance off working

159chrisymc

Dec 24, 2015
ive got the turbo freed up an moving with my fingers but ive still no power, is it possibe that the car is a half turn off the timming?

d.mccarthy16

Aug 3, 2014
If timing is out you get the TCS light come up on the dash (don't know why they chose that lol). You'd know by the sound of it too. Might still be in limp mode. I'd recheck the full vacuum setup for splits in the hoses then disconnect the battery for half an hour and the ecu might reset. Very hard diagnose a problem without vcds.

Sent from my GT-S7580 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

159chrisymc

Dec 24, 2015
the only thing is the actuator is pulling the turbo close when i start an ive a we computer to clear the codes an still no good

159chrisymc

Dec 24, 2015
an i even put the vacuum straight to the turbo an went for a run an i still have no turbo kicking in

159chrisymc

Dec 24, 2015
i have changed the vac lines, i have got the lend of my mates seat leon an put my air flow meter, boost solenoid an boost sencer out of the intercooler on to his car an it goes good, i have put all his stuff on his car an i still have no power, is there something really obvious am missing, any ideas??????

159chrisymc

Dec 24, 2015
yes but i didnt rev it much only wanted to see it the car would boost an there was no boost all
I drove my mates leon with the intercooler pipe off an my car drives the same as his without the pipe on :(

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Have you got Vagcom? If so then have a look at boost requested vs actual boost you are getting. Block 115. You need to find out if the engine is requesting any boost.

I'm more of a petrol man, i understand diesels in general pretty well, but troubleshooting them is difficult as i'm not completely familiar with the VAG diesel range mate.

Last edited:

159chrisymc

Dec 24, 2015
better off with petrol ! no mys is just a general car diagnostic that covers all cars, i plugged it into the car tonight an (instrument controller) is coming up as the only fault

d.mccarthy16

Aug 3, 2014
You need to get hold of vcds it's the only tool for vws. I've had people come to with with cars that showed no faults on a generic scan tool to find numerous codes on vcds.

159chrisymc

Dec 24, 2015
well its up for mot tomorrow which will b a pain driving that in the into the town lol but least if it passes ill be fit to take it to some 1 with vcds

159chrisymc

Dec 24, 2015
drove the car in an it passed the mot :) an when i went to go home i could feel the car had more power, at about 3000 rpm in 2nd gear u could feel the turbo kicking in an in the higher gears at about 2500 rpm

d.mccarthy16

Aug 3, 2014
Happy days! It probably just needed to reset itself out of limp mode. Boost should still come in a little earlier. When my was standard it came in boost around 2000 rpm and dropped off after 2500.