TDI won't start on slope?

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
Hi All,

Had a bit of a problem starting my 2.0 TDI (PD) engine today. Cranked the Car, it spluttered, and then refused to start, despite several attempts. Then the oil low warning light / alarm came on - which might not be so surprising because the car is parked on a reasonably steep sideways slope - I think all of the oil may be sitting over the other side of the sump. Nevertheless, I will pop to halfords (on the bus!) in a minute to get a topup to be on the safe side.

Anyone know a reason why it won't start? Do they not like being parked to one side? I've experienced hesitant starting when parking in the same place...

Additionally, what are the top 5 things to check?

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
If its parked facing upwards for a long time the fuel can gradually run back to the tank but all pd engined cars after 2003 were fitted with a lift pump which squirts fuel through the system and primes it ready for starting - this could be faulty, try listening for the initial squirt of fuel when the ignition is switched on.

Remove the main fuel feed from either the pump or fuel filter then get someone to watch to see if fuel squirts through.

Prolonged engine cranking will always bring on the oil light on vag cars even if the oil pressure is there.

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
Wasn't parked facing uphill, but on a sideways slant to the left. anyway, put another ltr of oil in it to be safe (dear god its expensive!), and after one attempt it hesitantly started.

I'm wondering if the fuel filter might need a replacement...

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
Nope was careful about that! Aware of the level beforehand. Will dip it again though just to be sure!

Even more curiously, the sump guard appears to have partially come off. Wonder if the two are related. Maybe it's just all the potholes!!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.