Tech advise please??? HID's and power steering pump!

AidyB

After a long weekend tinkering with my ibiza PD130, part of which has been fitting HID's to my dipped headlights and fogs. They tested ok with just the ignition on, and the dipped headlights are ok when the engine is running too! But when I went out for a run in it through the lane and tried my fogs, I lost my power steering! Not funny when trying to drive back with no assistance of the pump! Checked the fuse to the pump and found it to be blown.
Now, does this fuse feed further things other than just the PSP, or is it a designated fuse to the pump?
If not, my other line of thought is that I've mounted the ballast to nearside fog, on the bracket which supports the PSP. Without going into too much detail, could the ballast induce a voltage into the PSP, causing it to draw excess current and make this fuse blow!

On the positive side, I got my Weitecs fitted, callipers painted, engine serviced + green cotton filter, new Brembo discs and OMP pads, and HID's + LED side lights (pain in the arse!) done! :D

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
If not, my other line of thought is that I've mounted the ballast to nearside fog, on the bracket which supports the PSP. Without going into too much detail, could the ballast induce a voltage into the PSP, causing it to draw excess current and make this fuse blow!

Since the PSP is electrically operated this may be the case - the ballast is basically a transformer, which on start-up converts 12v into up to 23.000v for a fraction of a second.

AidyB

Think my theory was right, moved my ballast tonight and went for a repeat run, with no problems! touch wood! :D
So, watch where your mounting yours ballasts if fitting HID's!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Sounds like you are someone who has been very lucky!! Remember it is not the tough big electric pump motor that needs TLC its the ECU that is mounted on it that will have a heart attack if it "sees" any EHT or the field that sort of voltage creates. That is one life you have just lost - take care now!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members