Tech Pack auto dimming rear view mirror - disable?

itscalledmax

Feb 19, 2017
NE Essex
Probably my incompetence, but before I contact my dealer, was wondering if anyone knew how to disable the auto dimming rear view mirror function or at least adjust it's sensitivity - Leon ST Tech Pack.

Handbook mentions a switch on the mirror - but we don't seem to have one (switch/button), so presume it's different if you have the Tech Pack.

Had a scour of the handbook but can't find anything further.

A bit maddening because, for me, the dim feature dims things way too much, especially for town driving, and I'm very rarely bothered unless someone's right behind with full beam on.

Apart from that, and getting used to the (lack of) feel of the steering, am quite liking the car so far.

dieselface

Jul 1, 2010
Up until February 2016 build (on the Leon at least) the interior mirror had a button on it - as mentioned in the manual. VAG changed this part and I believe the surround is also slightly smaller.

What isn't apparent is how it's disabled and i suspect the manual hasn't been updated to reflect this change.

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
Should be a button if you press then the light goes off this disables it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
I've seen 2 types of this mirror from Vag cars. One has a black button on the bottom/underside and the other is a plastic button on the front of the mirror.

arf1989

Apr 9, 2014
I don't think there is a way to disable the auto dimming. I believe you have the same mirror as I do - and there is no button on the mirror.

itscalledmax

Feb 19, 2017
NE Essex
Many thanks all - I was starting to think I was missing something obvious.

I'll give the dealer a ring and find out. Even reducing the sensitivity of the sensor is better than disabling the thing.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
No button on previous 280, nor on latest 290. There isn't one on the work Passat either. Having said all that none of them have ever presented an issue such as the OP is saying.

itscalledmax

Feb 19, 2017
NE Essex
Dealer says it's *probably* an on/off, rather than change sensitivity, setting which they should be able do. They're not aware of anything I can do via the setup.

I'll give it some time to see if I get used to it but if it continues to bug me I may investigate how to do it myself via VCDS or whatever.

MattFR

Jun 6, 2016
Auto dimming rear view mirror is part of convenience pack, not tech pack. The button to turn it off is on the underside of the mirror in the middle (63 plate FR)

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Strange that as your 280 was bought about the same time as mine in 2014, and mine has the button on the bottom of the mirror
Weird isn't it. I went out last night and double checked, it definitely doesn't have a button but it is auto dimming as is driver's side mirror ( I checked with a torch) Passat is identical. I know the button you are on about, previous Passat had one with a little green light. That was a 62 reg. :confused:
Do you have the TCS disable button or do you have to go via the menu?

dodds_turbo

OEM+ member
Sep 4, 2016
Edinburgh
If there is a button on your mirror (if it's not too new) the button is on the underside of the mirror, almost directly below the green light.

Its an on/off button, no varying degrees.

Matt_Beaky

Dec 3, 2016
Surrey, UK
Mine has the button on the bottom (under side) of the mirror, and it definitely turns off the dimming.

On your other point, re the steering. Sport mode tightens the steering slightly. You can also change the settings to suit you on the custom profile

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
If there is a button on your mirror (if it's not too new) the button is on the underside of the mirror, almost directly below the green light.

Its an on/off button, no varying degrees.

I don't have a green light either :cry:

generationgav

Feb 7, 2013
Incidentally I've got a 2016 ST FR and it said in the manual about a button, was always a bit confused when I couldn't find a button. Looks like I've got the newer mirror, I do like not having the green light compared to my 2012 Leon to be honest.
Any way of telling if I've got the auto dimming driver side mirror as well? Didn't even know that existed to be honest.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members