Tell me about Cordobas!

Aug 14, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Hey all!

I'm wanting to know some info on cordobas...

In 2012 I had to get a diesel for my 180 mile a day commute and sadly my normal coupe had to go :cry: I ended up with a pd130 ibiza as it was very good on fuel, pokey n still fun unlike some diesels, n pretty good looking compared to some hatchbacks.

However I'm a coupe lover at heart and from stuff I've read I think they do a diesel cordoba? Which engine is it? If it's the same pd130 that'd make my day and I can buy a (seemingly super rare!) 3 door!! Then I can have a coupe AND a diesel :thumbup:

TIA :)

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
I know they do a saloon of the 03-08 cordoba but not that sure on the existence of a 3 door coupe for that mark. If you got your hands on a 99 3 door cordoba coupe that had a duff engine then you could drop in diesel ve engine into it. I prefer the 8 valve 1.9 tdi engines to the pd's.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
70-75 mpg is very good indeed. I always got the impression that the pd's were a wee bit down on the ve in terms of economy. The long distance mpg for my 110 bhp ve pump mk1 leon was given as 69mpg and I managed 71 mpg fully loaded up from Belfast to Enniskillen sitting at a constant or as constant to 56 mph as I could. On the return journey I was only able to muster about 66 mpg because the weather was below freezing and the engine took ages to heat up.

70-75 mpg must be above the book given figure, is it. That is impressive.

Aug 14, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Can't remember the book figure to hand but I no it's defo more.
That's sitting a fairly constant 70mph on a warm dry day with vreidestein tyres.
As it gets colder or wetter I can loose up to 10mpg , when I was running toyos I'd be lucky to see 60-65mpg. At 180miles a day I soon notice these patterns haha I'm such a geek ;) but tbh it's just me in the car so that helps, although I do carry a spare wheel and a good back up kit (full size jack, breaker bar, chocks [im lowered] etc)

One day restricted to 50mph I did 90miles and got 105mpg on the clocks :rofl:

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
105 mpg is some going, pd's must be better than ve for economy. I couldn't do 180 miles a day, it would kill me. Is that going or there and return? Any joy on the car search? My dream car that harks back to my late teens just came up on ebay but it 's a barn find and would be a bit too much work for me. A manual mk3 ford Granada 2.9 EFI 4 * 4.

Aug 14, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Fortunately 180 miles total (90 there, 90 back). It's not so bad on the AM run everyone's still in bed, it's the PM run home on the M6 that sucks ;) no joy on the search, I think it'll be a case of sticking with the ibiza until she gives up the ghost then see. Nothing else really seems to give such good mpg whilst still being a bit fun n pokey too! Then it'll be cordoba hunting time. Unless the BMW I8 suddenly becomes affordable :rofl: anything quirky like a Granada would be no good for me as a commuter :p

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
You can get the later cordoba with a 130pd engine. They are awesome!

I always fancied an SX tdi 3 door but they are like hens teeth to get hold of.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
I have done 532 miles from Mon noon until 11.15 last night. I went down to Connemara for a few days 230miles there and back. Average speed going was 46 mph and coming back was 56 mph. There were road works going but not returning. The car was getting pushed on a bit as much as it could be without my daughter being :sick: over my shoulder, safety and legally as well. Then it got 72 more sedate miles in the region of Connemara. Overall tank economy was 56.38 mpg. My neck and head were killing me last night after 4 odd hours in the white warrior, with three breaks thrown in, and it with vibratechnics engine and gearbox mounts and straight through exhaust and it's lower and stiffer suspension :D. I'm just not made of sterner stuff. I'm a bit worried about the old girl too. I put a new crank case ventilation hose and new sump gasket on to cure an oil leak and it seemed to do the job but I noticed a little rainbow coming from underneath her in the rain yesterday.

rodrigocswm

Jan 5, 2015
Brazil
I live in Brazil, I have a Seat Cordoba SXE 1.8 97 model with 5 doors.
Unfortunately small cars with diesel engines are prohibited in some regions here are allowed only pickups like the Ford Ranger for example with diesel engines