temp gauge agen

mini

Temperature gauge

hi all i run a leon 1.8 20v turbo on a 52 plate, normally the tempriture gauge wen engine warm is normally at 90 an doesnt move, yesturday i was driving an it started to drop down to 60 an back to 90. Any ideas people????

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
mini, I was going to post on here with the very same problem.

I wasnt sure if its just the cold weather doing it.

My drive home from work involves a mile long downhill section of dual carriage way and I've noticed since the cold weather that the temp gauge is right down to 60 by the time i get to the bottom (providing i dont give it beans)

I think its just the cold air doing a good job of cooling the system.

Has anyone else noticed this in theirs recently?

It should be steady no matter what! (give or take a couple deg but not 60-90-60)

You can try changing the engine temp sensor as mentioned above. It's about £25 fromt he dealers for a genuine green top sensor. It's easy to change, just a circlip holding it in.

But my money is on your thermostat being sticky. About £5 from a local motor factors but slightly harder to get into if you're not sure about getting your hands dirty in the engine bay.

P.S. I've had this prob with 2 of my previous VAG cars and the thermostat fixed it both every case (the green top engine temp sensor is worth changing though...)

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
well mines in JBS on thursday for a 110,000 service so i'll see what they think.

Would a dodgy gauge effect performance? is it connected to the ecu? would it adjust air/fuel mix and run rich etc.

or is it purely a gauge to monitor temps?

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
cheers mate.

I'm wondering if its causing some issues with mine cause my MPG seems down a bit. I'm wondering if its running rich :confused:

where's the sensor located?

Ricardo

Leon Cupra R 265 bhp
Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
My tempuritchyour drops down on the motorway at the moment but as soon as Im stuck in traffic climbs back up. Its just the cold air bringing the temp down surely? At least its good for something other than making my nose run.

I agree with shefboy.....

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
I'll ask the guys at JBS tomorrow and see if they can advize.

i'll keep you all posted.

No idea, I got a garage to change mine because I'm lazy and inept

Surely not?

tpsremove.jpg

• Remove circlip with screwdriver
  • Remove sensor
  • Unclip sensor with small flathead screwdriver
  • Connect on new sensor
  • Replace
  • Push back clip

P.S. I still maintain it'll be your Thermostat - 99.9% sure

Ricardo

Leon Cupra R 265 bhp
Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Galnzav you think mine needs a replacement, I only changed it 6 months ago, cant the rad+cold airflow cool the coolant down enough to make the temp drop? Everyday is a school day I supose.....

Its just the cold air bringing the temp down surely? I agree with shefboy.....

Well no... because when the thermostat is closed (which it should be at any water temp below ~90degC) it diverts the coolant around the engine, when the temp get's above 90deg the thermostat opens and the coolant runs through the radiator to cool down, once the water temp gets below 90deg the thermostat closes again (or should do!) and it maintains this cycle to keep a constant 90degC temp. The reason your water temp is showing 60degC when driving is because the thermostat has stuck open and the coolant is constantly passing through the radiator.

Or it could be the CTS :p

Galnzav you think mine needs a replacement, I only changed it 6 months ago, cant the rad+cold airflow cool the coolant down enough to make the temp drop? Everyday is a school day I supose.....

It could be your CTS in this case then if the thermostat has been recently replaced. See my above explanation though - if the thermostat is closed coolant shouldn't be going through the rad.

P.S. Every day is a school day - I'm self taught from things like this going wrong in the past! And good mechanically minded friends lol!

Last edited:

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
interesting info there mate.

I must admit, I cant remember the gauge doing this in previous winters and I've had the car four years.

Looks like a new sender could be needed.

Maybe anyone reading this could let their car idle down a hill on their way home tonight and check out the temp readings ;)

Ricardo

Leon Cupra R 265 bhp
Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Thanks for the inof bud, sometimes when I try to think logically, kidding myself my brain still works but what you said makes pewrfect sense. I actually changed the cts not the thermostat. I have been experiencing odd things with my lambda sensor and maybe the thermoststat could be ballsing the cts readings if its broken which in turn could be creating fueling problems and hey presto my lambda problem. The logic kicked in again........ Gonna change thermostat anyway and see what happens. Cheers

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
hi all i run a leon 1.8 20v turbo on a 52 plate, normally the tempriture gauge wen engine warm is normally at 90 an doesnt move, yesturday i was driving an it started to drop down to 60 an back to 90. Any ideas people????

That would be the thermostat.

Mine done excatly the same thing last month :)

mini

cheers pall people!! booked in garage on monday,i shall keep all posted as to the owtcome!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.