Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest. If you're not subscribing to us on YouTube yet, you're missing out on car news and reviews. Subscribe to our channel to get notified when we post new videos.

Tesco 99 - lower emmissions?

Discussion in 'Leon Mk1 (2000-2006)' started by RobDon, Nov 15, 2007.

1. RobDon

RobDon Pro Detailer

My car passed its MOT today with no problems at all, which is very interesting as I've been using Tesco 99 fuel for a while now and it passed the emissions test. Last year on Shell V-Power it failed and in the end only just scraped by after VW put some kind of additive in the fuel tank to get it to pass.

Tesco 99 contains 5% bioethanol which reduce the emissions, it certainly must work because this year it sailed through the emissions test with a 100-cell CAT, whereas last year it struggled to pass with the same hardware and Shell V-Power :D

"We also typically include 5% bioethanol – a clean and pure ultra high-octane component which is also renewable to help cut greenhouse gas emissions."

http://www.greenergy.com/tesco_99_octane/index.html

Well done Tesco ... great fuel!!! :funk:

PS. The smoked dark rear taillights from Germany passed no problem too, so they are MOT legal!

2. Avant4me

Avant4me Active Member

When my car wasn't sick, the tester said it was one of the cleanest cars he had tested. That was running on Tesco 99

3. lc_allan

lc_allan Northern Monkey

Yay ;), one less thing for me to worry about next year with 1st MOT:D

4. lil3520

lil3520 IBIZA 1.9 TDI SPORT 08

still waiting for it to come to warwickshire !!!!!!!!!!

5. WeeJase

WeeJase pert

none in shropshire or hereford as yet. and i look a complete tool walking around the forecourt looking for it.

6. edmong

edmong GHE Tuning

Only 97 here in Plymouth. Optimax is here though.

7. caveo

caveo Guest

iv been using tesco 99 for ages now and i wont use owt else due to more mid range tourqe but the fact it reduces emissions is a nice bonus

8. mathias.leon

mathias.leon Guest

Looks like there will be 10% ethanol mixed in all over EU soon. We already have 5% in regular petrol here in Sweden and 85% (E85) is available everywhere. The E85 price is about 30% lower than petrol. Lots of people mix E85 and regular petrol. Up till 40-50% seems to be no problem, over that you need to boost the fuel injection as ethanol only contains some 75% of the energy per volume compared to petrol. Too much ethanol will increase fuel consumption because of the lesser energy contained while a modest mix will lower fuel consumption because of the higher octane.

Seat Altea 1,6 E85, Altea XL 1,6 E85 and Leon 1,6 E85 may be ordered in Sweden since yesterday.

9. RikH

RikH Texas Cowboy

comments noted about the fuel robbie
    mines due jan and not looking forward to the 100cel cat issue...

10. RobDon

RobDon Pro Detailer

With my 100-cell CAT I always struggled to pass emissions every year, this year using Tesco 99 it sailed through, VW didn't even mention the emissions, they just phoned me and told me my car had passed with no problems!

11. RikH

RikH Texas Cowboy

any idea what the stuff they had used in the past to get it through
    im aware there are additives out there they add to fuel before they test it, might be worth me finding some and putting it in before i take it for test

i just want it to pass

12. RobDon

RobDon Pro Detailer

No idea m8, they just said they used some kind of fuel additive. But this year it passed without any hassle at all, only difference was that I've been using Tesco 99 instead of Shell V-Power.

13. RikH

RikH Texas Cowboy

will give tesco a try for a few tanks before it goes in, worth a try.
    cheers

14. lukecupra2001

lukecupra2001 Smoogie And Proud

i got my mot in the morning and i gota 100cell milltek on my cupra and im pooing my pants!i hope it passes!thankfully i spotted this thread a few weeks ago and swapped from v-power to tesco 99 so hopefully ill be fine if rob was

15. karlosR

karlosR TORQUEY, NOISEY V6

i always use tesco 99 and had my MOT last week. i was as sick as a parrot when it wouldn't pass the emissions test. [:@] it turned out there was a fault with their machine so when they re-tested it my car sailed through............. if they had decided to fail it i would have had an unroadworthy car through no fault of my own. i wonder how many times that has happened before?

16. RikH

RikH Texas Cowboy

never updated this

mine failed even on tesco 99, it didnt make any difference to the readings and the car ran like a 3 legged dog

17. kez

kez

mine passed fine with the piper cat. both times :)

and that was with normal super unleaded from sainsburys

18. RikH

RikH Texas Cowboy

yeh but yours is 200cel is it not kez

19. elliott87

elliott87 Active Member

i use tesco99 all the time, and its only 5p per litre more expensive up here so its well worth it

20. RobDon

RobDon Pro Detailer

#20 RobDon, Jul 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2008