Tesco 99 - lower emmissions?

andycupra

status subject to change
"We also typically include 5% bioethanol – a clean and pure ultra high-octane component which is also renewable to help cut greenhouse gas emissions."

thing is, this 'phrase' can be taken a number of ways.

For example, its been taken here as if this means the exhaust emissions will be lower.
However i suspect it means it helps cut emissions by being a renewable source not that less comes out of your exhaust..

My take on it has been thats its been included to enable the octane to be boosted, (as its a ultra high octane component) but that its 'power' is not that of petrol. So while it provides a higher octane fuel allowing timing to be adjusted its 'bang' factor is not as high as would be from a petrol only derived fuel with the same octane rating.

But interesting all the same.
Rob do you have the print out to show how well it passed emissions? As it passed before although be it at a stuggle, this means it wasnt well over the limit.
Call me an old suspicious fart, but it has been nice and hot lately which helps with emissions, so even a small reduction could mean it passes. There is also some varients with the testing procedure/equipment. ( am i also right in saying you have got soe new bits on the car following your recent issues?)

But anyway, as has been said above, the Uk government has or is bringing is laws that all fuels must have a minimum % of renewable/bio component.
Which is whole other argument on whether its actually a benefit overall..

Last edited:

andycupra

status subject to change
i use tesco99 all the time, and its only 5p per litre more expensive up here so its well worth it

remember when it was only 2 pence a litre more?

now, was this a ploy from tesco? like an incnetive to convert over to super?
or has the costs of the bio component increased more than the rest of the petrol as this gap is now 5pence.
It its the bio eliment that this means all petrol is going to go up in price significantly...

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
been using it a while and i swear the exhaust fumes smell different - no i've not been sniffing em like that :) its just seems to be more chemically sort of thing - more alcoholic as such

sounds like gibberish i know but if you took a whiff of both a lager and a vodka then its a difference like that

now the old can of Elf/Renault Megane rally car fuel i had was a whole few levels up again - looked clear green, cleared a cold for weeks and burnt 3 times faster than petrol with no black smoke on a bench test :):)

6th.replicant

May 29, 2008
London
Aren't white-coats now saying that bio-ethanol is not so green after all? Cos in order to grow the 'sustainable material', acres & acres of rainforest are being cleared to make way for the crop fields! :doh:

And it's cos they levelled 1000s of acres of rainforest during the last 3 decades, while our goverment did F-all, that we now have high CO2 levels - not because of our cars! [:@]

andycupra

status subject to change
Aren't white-coats now saying that bio-ethanol is not so green after all? Cos in order to grow the 'sustainable material', acres & acres of rainforest are being cleared to make way for the crop fields! :doh:

And it's cos they levelled 1000s of acres of rainforest during the last 3 decades, while our goverment did F-all, that we now have high CO2 levels - not because of our cars! [:@]

something like that.
there are many 'green' fuels that give out less pollution during end use, but that have polluted massively in producing them.
Electric cars for example are hailed as pollution free... so where does all this electricity come from? - although ill happily agree that overall its better than petrol. But pollution free? i dont think so

lukecupra2001

Smoogie And Proud
Jul 25, 2005
middlesbrough
flew through its mot this morning on the tesco 99,much better than last year when it failed with v-poweruntill the put some magic treatment thingy wotsit in to pass it.i think ill be sticking to tesco now!its cheaper than v-power aswell by bout 3p.iwork in a shell garage aswell mite start telling people to use tesco instead of v-power since shell pay us peanuts

Aug 24, 2007

The UK must grow enough rape seed to cope with our requirements though :shrug:

My car loves 99, runs far smoother and gives better mpg than normal unleaded.

6th.replicant

May 29, 2008
London

If only all the bio-ethanol used in UK petrol was also UK-sourced, then it would indeed be a perfect world [B)]. But alas, 'tis not so.

BTW, re your smoother running & better mpg: is your car's ECU standard & how much extra mpg are you achieving? Thanks.

Aug 24, 2007
stage one map ;)

A tank of Asda 95 did 380 mile on mixed road commuting, tesco 99 normally does about 420 on the same route.

That's driving sensibly with the occasional rev limiter session if someone gets too cheeky :)

http://www.greenergy.com/

GREY 225

Jim R
Oct 15, 2006

Its a case of food or fuel,there isnt enough land to produce for both,if you take crops for fuel then the cost of food will increase.

Aug 24, 2007
tough choice really mate.

I use 99 as it's local too me. In france last month it was a case of which ever SUL fuel was available over a 1000 mile round trip.

Will see what the emissions are like in a couple of weeks when the MOT is due.

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
i wouldnt waste your time
mines been run on optimax (first) then V-Power since it was new
the month i ran it on 99 it was one of the most digusting cars ive ever driven

Aug 24, 2007
How many tankful's did you try Rik ?

Did the crap running start at once or gradually get worse ?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise