Tesco 99 Octane Super Unleaded?

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
Higher octane stuff is better. Seems more responsive and made a hell of a difference with my little 1.0 Mini.

Even if i use BP ultimate diesel in the Ibiza that seems to make the same affect....

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
I tried it once but tickover didn't seem very smooth so went back to my usual Shell V-Power :)

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
I tried it once but tickover didn't seem very smooth so went back to my usual Shell V-Power :)

Same with me bud. I went from using BP Ultimate constantly (before it went over £1 a litre) and when it did go over the pound I put a tank of Sainsbury's diesel in.....

NEVER again. As soon as I got out the station the whole car was shaking on tickover. Now I'm just using standard BP diesel, admittedly it's a few pence more per litre but it's better than supermarket crap. Responds better with it in too.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I don't know what all the hype is about, I have had a go with v-power and to me it made no difference what so ever :shrug: well apart from needing to hand over a few more spending tokens :(

IMO the guys that reckon they can tell the difference are either superhuman and have the ability to detect 1.5 BHP without the use of a rolling road, or they have an issue with their engine :shrug:

Last edited:

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
The only difference I notice it the idle and pickup. I don't think there's any noticeable difference between regular Shell and V-Power (tho it mighe give u better mpg), but my idle is definitely better and feels more responsive with Shell/BP than it is with supermarket petrol...revs move about more with Tesco or Sainsburys stuff - I think it's just quality/detegeants in the fuel. Our engines are rated to run on 95 RON anyways, but not supermarket fuel with crap additives.

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
I've posted links to "experiments" with fuel before, in a performance car VPower, Tesco etc is always shown to improve bhp and engine life. VPower was shown to not be consistent with the its fuel as the additives dont seem to always get added...tesco 99 showed to be the most consistent.

However there have been some tests of it used in cars with a 1.6 engine and below and it actually has had a negative effect. So I think performance fuel should only be used in a performance car! IMHO of course

Mat

what worries me, is the dude with a 1.2. why would you waste money by putting 99 in that? As far as I'm concerened, 99 should be used in sports/performance cars.

Now as you say Nath, a 150fr may not be classed as performance (compared to other standard cars on the road), but I think for a lot on here running remaps etc, then 99 would be better than 95 :D

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Oh yeah if you have a remap and it's tailored to 99 then that's got to be good

I can't be bothered to go get a remap, I'm old and the 150 is enough for me..........pipe and slippers at the ready

OH and I don't want to ruin my nice well under 300 quid insurance premium :clap:

tkjeeves

Blue
Jul 13, 2008
oxford
the reason i ask is that a friend suggested to me aside from taking the injectors out and sonic clean them is to use 100+ RON fuels, it would seem an ideal alternative to get a tank or 2 of the 99 stuff with bioethanol mix then pay say £1.69 per litre for racing/aircraft fuel. Does anyone know how much to sonic clean injectors anyway?

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Cleaning injectors is pointless IMO

Fuel is so clean hese days that the fuel system on your car will last for 100s of Ks

Take your average taxi that runs on supermarket fuel, they do 3-400K miles and the reason they retire them is because the doors fall off, the engines still run fine as long as the oil gets regular changes

Poverty

these expensive fuels are a waste of time unless the car is specifically remapped for it imo.

stezo2k

Anjuna Monkey
Mar 15, 2008
Dudley
what worries me, is the dude with a 1.2. why would you waste money by putting 99 in that? As far as I'm concerened, 99 should be used in sports/performance cars

like i say the car feels faster, especially going up hills. it definately has an effect on the car plus theres benefits too as apparently its better for the engine. its all i ever use
________
Honda RA107

Last edited:

tkjeeves

Blue
Jul 13, 2008
oxford
I may have to incline to believe all this, my car seems to now idle a lot smoother then the cheapo Esso stuff being sold near me and pickup is also smoother too. Although now that prices are starting to lower, justifing the extra pennies per litre is hard... I think i'll have to experiment with BP 97 stuff as there is not any Shell near my home or work otherwise i'd go V-Power/Optimax, that seems to last the mileage pretty go on my car.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members