Test drove a Leon ST Cupra 300 yesterday... simply amazing and I have some questions please.

SitdownandhaveaCupratea

Oct 14, 2018
Hi guys, new member here and I just wanted to share my experience taking a Leon ST Cupra 300 for a test drive yesterday and end up with some questions that maybe you can kindly help me with.

Firstly, this will be my first car in 10 years. I used to drive a Clio 182 but then moved to a place with amazing public transport where my commute was short so I 'simplified' my life and went carless. However I have now once more realise how limiting it is to my freedom and personal life not having a car (I have no wife or kids) so I want to have one once more. My requirements are basically to want a fast estate car due to doing a lot of hiking, skiing and mountain biking with friends.

I looked at many options at my £25-30k budget and decided that the VAG group provided the best mix of performance, looks, practicality and reliability. After umm’ing and ahh’ing between the Golf R and the Leon ST Cupra 300 I went to see them both in the flesh and wow... I was blown away by the looks of the Leon ST 300 which imo looks stunning and far better than either the Golf R or the hatchback version of the Leon Cupra. The interior is 'acceptable', seats are very comfy and the SEAT sound system is surprisingly good, but it was when I test drove it that I realised how special this car is. Now, you may laugh and tell me that having not had a car for 10 years anything would be good to drive, but I trust my judgement. The steering is precise and responsive to compliment the grip of the car and there was none of the sponginess to the brake and accelerator that I experienced in my friends Audi A3. When I put my foot down in the areas that allowed it? Holy crap, lets just say I was grinning like a loon and after the test drive I made a mental commitment to get that car. :D

So, now that I have decided I want this car I have a couple of questions…
  1. Do you think the value of the Cupra 300 will drop sharply when the brand new revisions come out next year?
  2. At this stage does it make more sense to wait for the 2019 Cupra or will the real world benefits likely not be so significant over a fully loaded 2017/2018 model?
  3. Is the virtual cockpit of the SEAT really worth getting or is it more hindrance than help (and something extra to go wrong)?
  4. Is the DSG 6 speed better than the 7 speed? I heard some negative feedback about the 7 speed surrounding changing gears and economy.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
I would say all cars are going to drop in the end but you will pay less for the ST than the R and there is always going to be a revised or new model and you could wait for ever , my take is but and enjoy what you want now and it is what it is later or you will always talk yourself out of something , virtual socket is good but the standard set up is great but just depends if you like tinkering all the time.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
I would say all cars are going to drop in the end but you will pay less for the ST than the R and there is always going to be a revised or new model and you could wait for ever , my take is buy and enjoy what you want now and it is what it is later or you will always talk yourself out of something , virtual socket is good but the standard set up is great but just depends if you like tinkering all the time.

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Tbh, if you can afford the Golf, buy it. I’ve had Leon Cupras and Cupra Rs for years - four in total. I went to buy a Focus RS but the dealership attitude was frankly shite so I found myself testing a Golf R. Ordered one and got £5k of extras for nothing. The Leons are good but the Golf just does everything that little bit better and it will hold its value far better and will sell far easier too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SitdownandhaveaCupratea

Oct 14, 2018
Thanks for the replies guys.

I would say all cars are going to drop in the end but you will pay less for the ST than the R and there is always going to be a revised or new model and you could wait for ever , my take is but and enjoy what you want now and it is what it is later or you will always talk yourself out of something , virtual socket is good but the standard set up is great but just depends if you like tinkering all the time.

Well yes cars depreciate, but the 2019 MQB is a complete new platform with new infotainment systems and advanced automated driving and safety features so it is one of those infrequent years that marks the beginning of a new generation. :)

Tbh, if you can afford the Golf, buy it. I’ve had Leon Cupras and Cupra Rs for years - four in total. I went to buy a Focus RS but the dealership attitude was frankly shite so I found myself testing a Golf R. Ordered one and got £5k of extras for nothing. The Leons are good but the Golf just does everything that little bit better and it will hold its value far better and will sell far easier too.

The problem with that is that it doesn't involve the heart, only the head... and while I am a sensible person I still have to feel some emotion in major purchasing decisions like this. I look at the Golf R estate and it does nothing for me, it looks like a regular estate, a bit tubby and I think the 4 exhausts are crass and overstated. The Leon in comparison looks aggressive, sleek (for an estate) and I would take more pride and satisfaction from being in it.

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
At this stage does it make more sense to wait for the 2019 Cupra or will the real world benefits likely not be so significant over a fully loaded 2017/2018 model?
Are we expecting a Mk4 Cupra next year with the rest of the range or will we have to wait until 2020? The Mk3 Leon was released in 2013 but AFAIK the Cupra wasn't available until 2014. This is fairly common with the performance variants, Ford and Audi RSs especially. Not sure how the launch of Cupra as a separate brand will affect that though.

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys.

Well yes cars depreciate, but the 2019 MQB is a complete new platform with new infotainment systems and advanced automated driving and safety features so it is one of those infrequent years that marks the beginning of a new generation. :)

The problem with that is that it doesn't involve the heart, only the head... and while I am a sensible person I still have to feel some emotion in major purchasing decisions like this. I look at the Golf R estate and it does nothing for me, it looks like a regular estate, a bit tubby and I think the 4 exhausts are crass and overstated. The Leon in comparison looks aggressive, sleek (for an estate) and I would take more pride and satisfaction from being in it.

Depends what you want - if it’s just the looks, then get the Leon - if it’s the drive then Golf all the way. I have an R 3 door hatch and love it - the only reason I’m not having another is because VW have stopped doing a 3 door manual on it. I could compromise on the gearbox but not the doors so I’m now looking elsewhere. Whilst the Cupra is good, it didn’t even appear on my shortlist this time around - probably buy an M2 now.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
Depends what you want - if it’s just the looks, then get the Leon - if it’s the drive then Golf all the way. I have an R 3 door hatch and love it - the only reason I’m not having another is because VW have stopped doing a 3 door manual on it. I could compromise on the gearbox but not the doors so I’m now looking elsewhere. Whilst the Cupra is good, it didn’t even appear on my shortlist this time around - probably buy an M2 now.

Horses for courses but I'm the exact opposite as I drove the R before getting my Cupra and much prefer my Leon as it just feels lighter and more direct to drive and ive had 2 GTI performance packs and they both had interior rattles if not worse than the Leon.

Deleted member 103408

I think the answer is you have to drive the car and see if you like it, @xyz much prefers other cars to the Cupra. Personally I think the Cupra leaves the R behind on many fronts. But I like a car I have to drive not do the work for me. But you wont get an unbiased answer on a CUPRA Site.

If you are worried about depreciation then wait till the MK4 Leon and MK8 Golf come out and buy then.

What I would always say is, you need to make a list of what you want from the car, then take your short list out for a drive and drive it as you will in the real world. Then its very much down to what your local dealer will offer you as a cash buyer.

We are all in the UK so you need to check the Swiss market for both resale values and how quickly the cars sell.

My final comment is I have just come back from a SEATCUPRA.NET car Meet with many other owners of MK1, 2 & 3 fr and Cupras and everybody loves them regardless of age, fuel type, power and color because these cars can go fast, they can be very comfortable, they have character and what I liked there was no elite group of mine is better than yours, we all like all the cars.

I am afraid at the end of the day you have to decide what you want from the car, Personally I have had mine heavily modified a lot but its because the base car is a very good design.

Reactions: xyz and AshCupra300

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
Horses for courses but I'm the exact opposite as I drove the R before getting my Cupra and much prefer my Leon as it just feels lighter and more direct to drive and looks so much better and ive had 2 GTI performance packs and they both had interior rattles if not worse than the Leon.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
It all depends on pricing really. Digital dashes and safety nannies are really just fluff. If the run out model is significantly cheaper, it may be the better buy.

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I can't comment on Cupra vs Golf R, but I do have a Leon estate 184 diesel.

I am an outdoors person myself, being a mountain bike leader and also a keen hill walker. I have already had the Leon fully loaded up with bikes with the rear seats down and a roof box on and its perfect for lugging kit around. The boot floor can be raised so there is no load lip, and bikes can be easily loaded in with just the front wheel off. With Thule roof kit, its a 5 minute job to fit and remove roof bars.

My only very minor gripe is that now the dark evenings are here, when I go night riding, the interior lights aren't very bright for when your loading the car up, so I've upgraded to SMD LED's.

I have come from a 4 wheel drive SUV and was worried about going to an estate, but I was wanting more performance than an SUV can provide. I can't recommend a Leon estate enough.

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
As it's a whole new platform on the mk4 you may well end up with the first years models having slightly more problems than you would usually expect as they iron them out. Most big issues will have definitely been resolved though.

As others have said the cupra leon may not be out until 2020, I know the new focus rs isn't due until then so it stands to reason that the top model from seat won't be released until the year after initial release either.

I'm with you on the looks front. I'm looking to get a cupra st next year with a but of luck and I'm looking for around a year old 1. Golf r estate didn't even enter my head tbh. I'm not crazy about the r and I think the estate version looks horrendous. I like the sharp crisp edges of the leon st and for me, it's the perfect balance of performance and practicality hence why i want one.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
I think the answer is you have to drive the car and see if you like it, @xyz much prefers other cars to the Cupra. Personally I think the Cupra leaves the R behind on many fronts. But I like a car I have to drive not do the work for me. But you wont get an unbiased answer on a CUPRA Site.

If you are worried about depreciation then wait till the MK4 Leon and MK8 Golf come out and buy then.

What I would always say is, you need to make a list of what you want from the car, then take your short list out for a drive and drive it as you will in the real world. Then its very much down to what your local dealer will offer you as a cash buyer.

We are all in the UK so you need to check the Swiss market for both resale values and how quickly the cars sell.

My final comment is I have just come back from a SEATCUPRA.NET car Meet with many other owners of MK1, 2 & 3 fr and Cupras and everybody loves them regardless of age, fuel type, power and color because these cars can go fast, they can be very comfortable, they have character and what I liked there was no elite group of mine is better than yours, we all like all the cars.

I am afraid at the end of the day you have to decide what you want from the car, Personally I have had mine heavily modified a lot but its because the base car is a very good design.

I’ve had four Cupras mate - a 180, R 225, R 265, 280. All good cars although the R 265 was a bit of a let down. Whilst the 280 is excellent in the dry, my R would leave it in the wet and unlike my 280, suffers zero axle tramp plus the interior on my R is better finished - it just edges the 280 and is better as an all rounder. That said, mine’s a hatch so looks wise, it’s a different kettle of fish. I never had strangers comment on my 280 but had a few positive ones on my R.
2c0eb60e1c5f69ca3b7042e959491a19.jpg
2b315b7d777d91b6d3f88c9fd2f931de.jpg
2fd4655729428ab4bf8e6341be8d311b.jpg
47b97ee4cb59111735318f870b727c38.jpg
99bfd6d7ac570c8ebf9e168df0a6f651.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 103408

We will continue to agree to disagree but the OP is after the estate (which is 4wd) and prefers the ST to both Leon and Golf

SitdownandhaveaCupratea

Oct 14, 2018

Ok just to confirm, are you saying that the Golf R estate is a significantly better drive than the Cupra (ignoring looks and interior etc)? I haven't seen many critic reviews and tests confirming this... everyone sings the praises of the Cupra in everything except interior quality.

Tara said:
Horses for courses but I'm the exact opposite as I drove the R before getting my Cupra and much prefer my Leon as it just feels lighter and more direct to drive and ive had 2 GTI performance packs and they both had interior rattles if not worse than the Leon.

I didn't droive an R yet but if was in any significant way bettewr than the Cupra ST I would be very surprised... the handling was sublime as it is and I felt extremely connected with the car.

I can't comment on Cupra vs Golf R, but I do have a Leon estate 184 diesel.

I am an outdoors person myself, being a mountain bike leader and also a keen hill walker. I have already had the Leon fully loaded up with bikes with the rear seats down and a roof box on and its perfect for lugging kit around. The boot floor can be raised so there is no load lip, and bikes can be easily loaded in with just the front wheel off. With Thule roof kit, its a 5 minute job to fit and remove roof bars.

My only very minor gripe is that now the dark evenings are here, when I go night riding, the interior lights aren't very bright for when your loading the car up, so I've upgraded to SMD LED's.

I have come from a 4 wheel drive SUV and was worried about going to an estate, but I was wanting more performance than an SUV can provide. I can't recommend a Leon estate enough.

Nice... are you able to get one bike in with the wheel on or do they always need to be taken off? :)

As it's a whole new platform on the mk4 you may well end up with the first years models having slightly more problems than you would usually expect as they iron them out. Most big issues will have definitely been resolved though.

As others have said the cupra leon may not be out until 2020, I know the new focus rs isn't due until then so it stands to reason that the top model from seat won't be released until the year after initial release either.

I'm with you on the looks front. I'm looking to get a cupra st next year with a but of luck and I'm looking for around a year old 1. Golf r estate didn't even enter my head tbh. I'm not crazy about the r and I think the estate version looks horrendous. I like the sharp crisp edges of the leon st and for me, it's the perfect balance of performance and practicality hence why i want one.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Yes you are right, I didn't think about the potential issues of a new gen platform. The current MQB platform is at least proven, and I can certainly live with the interior in the Cupra for a couple of years. Also agree with you about the Golf Estate looks... it ain't a pretty car.

We will continue to agree to disagree but the OP is after the estate (which is 4wd) and prefers the ST to both Leon and Golf

Definitely the estate... so practical and imo actually looks better than the hatchback. :)

Last edited:

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Anything technology wise, with the rate things progress, you would be waiting forever for the 'next ' things. Like Iphones and Samsung. Just get the car at present incarnation and enjoy it...now they might have the digital cockpit, next stage, perhaps to go the Tesla route...with full touch center console...inc AC controls! I myself will be going 'backwards' from Seat Infotainment system to a Volvo V40, no touchscreens, everything is 'old' school, buttons. to input things on Sat Nav, there is a scroll wheel, and a 'old school' number pad a la Nokia 3310. It does have a rudimental 'digital cockpit though,' without maps, and a very good sound system. The only thing 'modern' about it, is the LED headlights...and maybe city braking...which I'm sure I will hate...

garry H bird

Oct 27, 2015

sorry to jump on the thread i have test drove the golf R was bored does not drive as well as the Cupra sorry to say and would not swap my cupra 300 for one there was no emotion with the golf
cheers GHB

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Ok just to confirm, are you saying that the Golf R estate is a significantly better drive than the Cupra (ignoring looks and interior etc)? I haven't seen many critic reviews and tests confirming this... everyone sings the praises of the Cupra in everything except interior quality.

I didn't droive an R yet but if was in any significant way bettewr than the Cupra ST I would be very surprised... the handling was sublime as it is and I felt extremely connected with the car.

Nice... are you able to get one bike in with the wheel on or do they always need to be taken off? :)

Yes you are right, I didn't think about the potential issues of a new gen platform. The current MQB platform is at least proven, and I can certainly live with the interior in the Cupra for a couple of years. Also agree with you about the Golf Estate looks... it ain't a pretty car.

Definitely the estate... so practical and imo actually looks better than the hatchback. :)

Not significantly better but just edges it. The R estate has more room than the ST300, more so when both have their seats down. It’s personal choice really. There are some cracking deals around at the moment and I would be looking at resale values. I got my R at base price with a load of extras for free - DCC, Dynaudio sound upgrade, Sat nav upgrade, larger alloy wheels, metallic paint, darker tinted windows. It was a far better choice than the Focus RS I’d initially looked at buying. Had the Ford dealership not been so arrogant, I’d never have considered the Golf - now I’ve had one for over 2 1/2 years, I’m a convert - if only they hadn’t stopped making the three door and manual gearbox. As for gripes with quality, I have none. It’s approaching 30,000 miles - not a squeak or rattle, no mechanical issues - it’s even returned 47 mpg on one run! Don’t get me wrong - the Cupra 280 I had was fantastic - in the dry, it DOES feel more nimble and I actually chased down five motorbikes on a single carriageway road that buzzed me - despatched four without effort and backed off the fifth because he kept wobbling when he looked back and saw me but come the wet weather, my 280 would lose out to my Golf. The ST is slightly different because it also has 4wd.

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
sorry to jump on the thread i have test drove the golf R was bored does not drive as well as the Cupra sorry to say and would not swap my cupra 300 for one there was no emotion with the golf
cheers GHB

Hatch or estate? My 280 in the dry was excellent - in the wet, it was a liability. Axle tramp and less traction compared to my Golf in the wet.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.