Test drove a Leon ST Cupra 300 yesterday... simply amazing and I have some questions please.

Deleted member 103408

Not trying to cause trouble here, the op wants to know about the ST we all have different views on what is better but for this thread I would suggest we focus on what the OP should be looking at in the Estate.

Further he is looking at the 300 so talking about the 280 is in my opinion not relevant to this thread.

Reactions: LouG and xyz

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Not trying to cause trouble here, the op wants to know about the ST we all have different views on what is better but for this thread I would suggest we focus on what the OP should be looking at in the Estate.

Further he is looking at the 300 so talking about the 280 is in my opinion not relevant to this thread.

Absolutely. If it’s just looks, go for the Cupra ST but the value will drop significantly, more so than the R and whilst some may say you pay more for the R, look at how much difference there is in price brand new against the difference in the prices second hand. On top of that, if buying an estate, it’s usually for the space and the R has more space but etto.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oldbutswift

Mar 23, 2016
As someone who has put a deposit on an ST carbon edition I obviously considered the Golf R estate.
On Coast2Coast Cars ( a good broker for a reasonable view of the market) if you spec up a Golf to roughly the same as a Carbon then then you are at about £39,discounted price £34k.
Now I originally said I didn't think a Carbon was worth £35k but have been happy to buy at £29k.
So,would I pay £5k more for a Golf that I consider to be an eyesore compared to a Leon?
Obviously,No.
(I haven't driven a Golf and it may be "better" to drive than a Leon,but I strongly suspect the difference will be very marginal.)

SitdownandhaveaCupratea

Oct 14, 2018
Not significantly better but just edges it. The R estate has more room than the ST300, more so when both have their seats down. It’s personal choice really. There are some cracking deals around at the moment and I would be looking at resale values. I got my R at base price with a load of extras for free - DCC, Dynaudio sound upgrade, Sat nav upgrade, larger alloy wheels, metallic paint, darker tinted windows. It was a far better choice than the Focus RS I’d initially looked at buying. Had the Ford dealership not been so arrogant, I’d never have considered the Golf - now I’ve had one for over 2 1/2 years, I’m a convert - if only they hadn’t stopped making the three door and manual gearbox. As for gripes with quality, I have none. It’s approaching 30,000 miles - not a squeak or rattle, no mechanical issues - it’s even returned 47 mpg on one run! Don’t get me wrong - the Cupra 280 I had was fantastic - in the dry, it DOES feel more nimble and I actually chased down five motorbikes on a single carriageway road that buzzed me - despatched four without effort and backed off the fifth because he kept wobbling when he looked back and saw me but come the wet weather, my 280 would lose out to my Golf. The ST is slightly different because it also has 4wd.

Absolutely. If it’s just looks, go for the Cupra ST but the value will drop significantly, more so than the R and whilst some may say you pay more for the R, look at how much difference there is in price brand new against the difference in the prices second hand. On top of that, if buying an estate, it’s usually for the space and the R has more space but etto.

These posts are not very logical, you are comparing a FWD car to an AWD car and shocked there is a difference in the handling when wet? And also talking about a 280 when the focus of the thread here is clearly and obviously the 300... which is as we all know AWD?

As for the space, the difference is negligible, the Cupra ST has plenty of space for my needs and far more than the hatchback.

I actually chased down five motorbikes on a single carriageway road that buzzed me - despatched four without effort and backed off the fifth because he kept wobbling when he looked back and saw me

You also sound like you're a a dangerous driver who puts other people at risk. I suggest we just agree to disagree and leave it at that. :)

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
These posts are not very logical, you are comparing a FWD car to an AWD car and shocked there is a difference in the handling when wet? And also talking about a 280 when the focus of the thread here is clearly and obviously the 300... which is as we all know AWD?

As for the space, the difference is negligible, the Cupra ST has plenty of space for my needs and far more than the hatchback.

You also sound like you're a a dangerous driver who puts other people at risk. I suggest we just agree to disagree and leave it at that. :)

I compared both and you’re also very judgemental. Perhaps if you’re not going to use the car as intended, you’d be better off buying something more suitable for your needs - not sure if Honda do a Jazz estate? Maybe you should go and investigate.

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
upload_2018-10-16_10-39-20.jpeg

Can't we all get along? ;)
...and just to add my 0,02€, if the OP is about getting a Cupra 300ST, why to defend so much the purchase of a Golf R? Sounds like you are trying to justify to yourself that you paid more for a car that is virtually the same, yet under-equipped...

I took a serious look at both before I bought the Cupra and, among things that put me off, for similar price range, these were the differences of the Golf R vs Cupra ST 300 4drive:
- Cars had more km
- No DCC
- Older sound system
- No bucket seats
- No 5y warranty

The drive train is the EXACT SAME between both - are you going to say the Golf R is so much better?? Maybe a bit of badge blindness going on...
Also, in estate form, the Golf R looks like it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down, while the Cupra is one of the best looking estates out there - at the risk of starting another side discussion on this thread, I think the Cupra estate looks better than the hatch.

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
I compared both and you’re also very judgemental. Perhaps if you’re not going to use the car as intended, you’d be better off buying something more suitable for your needs - not sure if Honda do a Jazz estate? Maybe you should go and investigate.

golf6.jpg

020345600_1494814905-Honda_Jazz_Facelift.jpg

I can see the similarities... :D
...but this under is on a different league:

seat-leon-cupra-st-laps-nurburgring-faster-than-rs6-avant-and-m5-touring-95424_1.jpg

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
That's amazing and a cracking car , I think/know the Golf R is a great car in all types of weather and comes into it's own in the wet and launch as I've driven many and was very close to getting one but when I seen my Sub 8 and drove it I just wanted it more (personal preference) for me it edges on looks and just felt more exciting to drive but I'd have been happy with either.

Reactions: xyz

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
View attachment 2176

Can't we all get along? ;)
...and just to add my 0,02€, if the OP is about getting a Cupra 300ST, why to defend so much the purchase of a Golf R? Sounds like you are trying to justify to yourself that you paid more for a car that is virtually the same, yet under-equipped...

I took a serious look at both before I bought the Cupra and, among things that put me off, for similar price range, these were the differences of the Golf R vs Cupra ST 300 4drive:
- Cars had more km
- No DCC
- Older sound system
- No bucket seats
- No 5y warranty

The drive train is the EXACT SAME between both - are you going to say the Golf R is so much better?? Maybe a bit of badge blindness going on...
Also, in estate form, the Golf R looks like it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down, while the Cupra is one of the best looking estates out there - at the risk of starting another side discussion on this thread, I think the Cupra estate looks better than the hatch.

Not at all mate. I’ve had numerous Cupras for years and they were all good cars - it wasn’t until I drove and subsequently owned a Golf R for years that I discovered the Golf is a better car - not by much but enough to warrant not buying another SEAT. I’m certainly not blinded by a badge having owned SEATs for years and my wife has had numerous Ibizas too. As for price, if people are not prepared to haggle, that’s their loss but each to their own. I guess looks are the be all and end all........ very revealing.........

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
That's amazing and a cracking car , I think/know the Golf R is a great car in all types of weather and comes into it's own in the wet and launch as I've driven many and was very close to getting one but when I seen my Sub 8 and drove it I just wanted it more (personal preference) for me it edges on looks and just felt more exciting to drive but I'd have been happy with either.

The sub8 is a brilliant car - it’s a shame they didn’t make anymore on the subsequent Leons. An equivalent to the Golf Clubsport S would’ve been superb!

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
golf6.jpg

020345600_1494814905-Honda_Jazz_Facelift.jpg

I can see the similarities... :D
...but this under is on a different league:

seat-leon-cupra-st-laps-nurburgring-faster-than-rs6-avant-and-m5-touring-95424_1.jpg

Well, if you’re not going to use a car the way it’s intended, maybe this is more suitable? I’m sure a bike rack will fit on the back or the roof.

Sent from my iPad using Ta
f146178bb19d91a166dbd7da2e351853.jpeg
patalk

Deano j1971

Jan 5, 2018
Only just seen this thread,and as I own a St300 so I thought I would throw in my two pennith worth on the matter. I’ve had my car now for nearly a year and it puts a smile on my face when i get in (because of the power on tap),and a smile on my face when I get out,as I often find myself looking back as I’m walking away because of the sharp&sleek looks from the car. Now that’s what you don’t get from the Golf R estate. Before I purchased the car I needed a estate to taxi the two dogs around,which the St300 does with ease. I took the Golf R out three times on a test drive and I have to say that I just did not connect with the car, for some reason it did not feel right.The St300 has been a absolute joy to drive since I’ve got it and I’m glad I purchased this car, the dsg gearbox is like a hot knife through butter, the seats hug you like a warm scarf, it takes corners better than David Beckham and when you want it to it can be a absolute “BEAST”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk View attachment 2177 View attachment 2178 View attachment 2179 View attachment 2180

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Not at all mate. I’ve had numerous Cupras for years and they were all good cars - it wasn’t until I drove and subsequently owned a Golf R for years that I discovered the Golf is a better car - not by much but enough to warrant not buying another SEAT. I’m certainly not blinded by a badge having owned SEATs for years and my wife has had numerous Ibizas too. As for price, if people are not prepared to haggle, that’s their loss but each to their own. I guess looks are the be all and end all........ very revealing.........

I am not your mate, and you have no clue what you talking about.

You seem to compare apples with potatoes, as long as it is convenient for you and ignore the arguments you are given.
Now you are throwing Ibiza in the mix? It is still better than a VW Up!, but I fail to see the point :)
You overpaid for the same car, and you are trying to reassure yourself you did the right deal... Maybe you could not afford an Audi, cause your speech sounds to me like the typical Audi driver crap.

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Well, if you’re not going to use a car the way it’s intended, maybe this is more suitable? I’m sure a bike rack will fit on the back or the roof.

BTW, let me just address this one also - "...the way it's intended" ...you mean trying to chase bikers out of a road and murder them?

I for one tend to go around a track when I want to drive fast:

So, what is "the way it is intended"? you mean like a road bully? :) Grow up...

SitdownandhaveaCupratea

Oct 14, 2018
Chaps, those those who have been in both a ST300 and Golf R, is there a huge difference in the interior quality?

emoji8.png

I am not sure that this, or any high performance car, was 'made' to race motorbikes on single lane carriageways to the point where they almost lose control as you ride up their arse. Unfortunately you seem like the type of driver who give the rest of us a bad name who like some performance in our cars a bad name.

Anyway like I said, lets agree to disagree, there are better things to discuss in this thread. :)

Reactions: Jaco2k

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Hi guys, new member here and I just wanted to share my experience taking a Leon ST Cupra 300 for a test drive yesterday and end up with some questions that maybe you can kindly help me with.

Firstly, this will be my first car in 10 years. I used to drive a Clio 182 but then moved to a place with amazing public transport where my commute was short so I 'simplified' my life and went carless. However I have now once more realise how limiting it is to my freedom and personal life not having a car (I have no wife or kids) so I want to have one once more. My requirements are basically to want a fast estate car due to doing a lot of hiking, skiing and mountain biking with friends.

I looked at many options at my £25-30k budget and decided that the VAG group provided the best mix of performance, looks, practicality and reliability. After umm’ing and ahh’ing between the Golf R and the Leon ST Cupra 300 I went to see them both in the flesh and wow... I was blown away by the looks of the Leon ST 300 which imo looks stunning and far better than either the Golf R or the hatchback version of the Leon Cupra. The interior is 'acceptable', seats are very comfy and the SEAT sound system is surprisingly good, but it was when I test drove it that I realised how special this car is. Now, you may laugh and tell me that having not had a car for 10 years anything would be good to drive, but I trust my judgement. The steering is precise and responsive to compliment the grip of the car and there was none of the sponginess to the brake and accelerator that I experienced in my friends Audi A3. When I put my foot down in the areas that allowed it? Holy crap, lets just say I was grinning like a loon and after the test drive I made a mental commitment to get that car. :D

So, now that I have decided I want this car I have a couple of questions…
  1. Do you think the value of the Cupra 300 will drop sharply when the brand new revisions come out next year?
  2. At this stage does it make more sense to wait for the 2019 Cupra or will the real world benefits likely not be so significant over a fully loaded 2017/2018 model?
  3. Is the virtual cockpit of the SEAT really worth getting or is it more hindrance than help (and something extra to go wrong)?
  4. Is the DSG 6 speed better than the 7 speed? I heard some negative feedback about the 7 speed surrounding changing gears and economy.

Thanks in advance.

The Cupra 300 ST with 4DRIVE is a completely different animal to a 300 hatch. No axle tramp, limitless grip and effortless performance while retaining 95% of the fun when the roads get twisty.

Regarding the Golf R comparison: It offers the grip of the Golf R, looks better than the Golf R and is much more exclusive than the Golf R. I drive a Golf GTD, my brother drives an R estate. They are both as dull as dishwater compared to the Cupra.

My previous car was a Cupra 280 by the way. Had a Cupra 300 4DRIVE for 2 weeks in Feb.

The Cupra is a better car in my opinion.

And as for the interior comparison people like to make, I preferred the Leon to the Golf. The VW isn't special. My Cupra 280's cabin (2014) was more than a match for the GTD's (2016).

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
Hatch or estate? My 280 in the dry was excellent - in the wet, it was a liability. Axle tramp and less traction compared to my Golf in the wet.

I am guessing there was something very wrong with your 280? Or you had dreadful tyres? Or you only like a traffic light Grand Prix? The only reason I would get rid of mine is bacause it’s far too quick in both the wet and the dry, it’s relentless, you would have to be driving a rally car at well into three figure speeds on slippy bumpy B road corners with off cambers and odd surfaces to push it properly with a half decent driver, crazy on the public roads :) The Cupra is immense on a wet racetrack too, although I guess it would be a bit more challenging with more than my 375 bhp in the wet. There are no issues with my current power, 4wd boys need lots more bhp to go at the same pace.

The Cupra is so good, it prompted our recent impractical third car purchase. An R57 John Cooper Works with 260 bhp, no (proper) LSD and pretty stiff suspension. That’s a car that does have massive traction issues in comparison to a Golf R :O great fun at sane speeds.

My friend has just bought the 300 ST, great car and he likes it, I don’t think you will go far wrong with the current generation. I’m honestly not sure what you could want to be improved that would be a big deal, unless it’s tech integration.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.