TFSI fuel economy - mine seems to be low - what are you getting?

CTID

Apr 1, 2013
I have a 2007 Leon FR TFSI DSG with 57k miles on the clock.

Standard apart from Straight through exhaust from Cat back, and Cold air intake.

I put £20 of tesco momentum in the other day, a few miles after it hit 0 miles on the dash (same day I dropped the oil and changed filter).

I have now done 40 miles and the display is telling me I have 10 miles left!! And I've been driving very conservatively after the last fill up - even if it is urban, most of my journeys take dual carriage ways and ring roads.

So, 50 miles to £20 worth of fuel - £134.9 a litre so 14.825 Litres or roughly 3.32 Gallons.

50 miles using 3.32 gallons is 15mpg! So even the dash reading of 17.5mpg is optimistic!!

:confused:

What are the rest of you getting?

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
That sounds quite low. I've got a Mk5 Golf GTI DSG so same engine/ gearbox combo and normally see mid 20s mpg in town rising to mid 30s on longer journeys. Can just about touch 40mpg sitting on the motorway with cruise control on. I generally get 100 miles from £20 in mixed driving (but mostly town).

CTID

Apr 1, 2013
That sounds quite low. I've got a Mk5 Golf GTI DSG so same engine/ gearbox combo and normally see mid 20s mpg in town rising to mid 30s on longer journeys. Can just about touch 40mpg sitting on the motorway with cruise control on. I generally get 100 miles from £20 in mixed driving (but mostly town).

What the hell? lol. Seriously something must be up with my car then, as essentially we have the same vehicle with the same running gear...

I have checked PCV and all seems well. Only thing left to check is the Diverter valve really.

Changed oil and filter the other day too, and all tyre pressures are at 33/34psi.

manopener

Yeah, that seems incredibly high.

I get around 19 indicated on a short through-town commute in largely stop-start traffic. Low-mid 30s mixed use. Up to 40 on a steady motorway/A-road run; 39.9 last time I went down to Bristol.

CTID

Apr 1, 2013
Yeah, that seems incredibly high.

I get around 19 indicated on a short through-town commute in largely stop-start traffic. Low-mid 30s mixed use. Up to 40 on a steady motorway/A-road run; 39.9 last time I went down to Bristol.

Thing Is I did a journey of a 25 mile round trip all dual carriage ways sitting at around 70-80mph and struggled to get over 28mpg for the whole trip...

CTID

Apr 1, 2013
And that was mainly cruise control too ^^

Just been across town and back. Traffic lights, some traffic etc, but nothing to bad and quite free flowing.

Driving as economically as I can, l managed 20.6mpg there and back... Although this is a little optimistic as my figures show, so even that is rubbish!! :(

CTID

Apr 1, 2013
And Yes I know, you don't buy these cars for the economy, but I owned a Octavia VRS TDI before remapped to over 200hp and that did 35mpg round town.

And previous to that I had a B5 S4 running 337hp/365lb.ft and that did 17mpg round town and 30mpg on a steady run, so the FR is less than impressive!!

manopener

Before I had my PCV done I was averaging about 16 around town, mid 20s mixed and couldn't top 32 at 70 on the Mway. That's made a huge different but if you've already checked that...

lodge

Aug 22, 2010
Swansea
Mine is running revo plus CAI and I get around 32mpg mixed driving and on a run to work which is 90miles I get between 38-40 mpg driving steady. Obviously if I tune it things change quite quickly.

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
15 is very very low, lowest "normal" tank I've seen from mine is 24 and that was the middle of winter - having to de ice the car every morning. I think I averaged 12 on a track day lol

According to Fuelly my all time average is 29, but lately seeing between 32 and 34 with the warmer weather (Stage 1 Cupra with p-flow intake and BCS turbo back)

Last edited:

locky

May 5, 2014
North East
I know that, especially over hills etc. But I love driving with it on.

Anyway, any others got figures for me?

Its more the downhills and places you would almost be manually coasting which cost you the most on cruise. Up hills on cruise shouldnt be much worse than manual if you are maintaining a speed.

jreedy

turbo'd ep3- Fr tdi leon
May 13, 2008
sheffield
I average 26 mpg and that's driving country roads to and from work.... Mixed in with town driving at weekends with the odd blast when needed

15mpg is very low

I've just been to pod over the weekend and I didn't get as low as 15mpg

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
24-26 round town , 30-34 on a run. Standard R.
However, you cannot rely on the trip computer to be accurate. I'm not sure of the exact reason but it's something to do with how you've driven the car over a previous time period - say one hour. So, when you filled up at zero miles it based it's consumption on how you drove it previously. If you ragged it for the previous hour, it'll be based on that. If you then drive like Miss Daisy for the subsequent hour, you'll notice a change in the overall mpg figure.
Think about it like this. The fuel consumption of any engine varies vastly . So, when you fill up and reset the consumption, the computer has to have some information to base it's figure on, and as
it's not a mind reader and hence not capable of predicting how you are going to drive, it uses previous data to give a figure, which is, at best, an estimate.
The longer you drive it for after filling up and resetting, the more information available to give a better, more realistic figure. Best method is brim the tank, reset the trip and see what you get per tank. :D

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
I generally get 30mpg over a tank. Best ever was 41.8mpg. 15mpg is hard to average even if you try. If I go out for a blast it still seems to struggle to dip below 22mpg.

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
It is a very low figure, i do the worst journeys possible for fuel consumption, a lot of very short journeys from cold, and once the car is warmed up its driven hard, but i never average less than 18mpg unless driving like a hooligan.

Anywhere in the 20's on a normal day around town, recently averaged an actual 38mpg during a 380 mile trip to Belgium using the Cruise control and taking advantage of the fantastic roads and 80mph speed limits in France and Belgium, once even had 41mpg on a trip to Birmingham travelling at a steady 60-65.

Things to check would be MAF readings, Diverter valve and PCV (usual suspects), check your long term fuel trims for lambda correction. Also check tyre pressure, check for binding brakes etc.

Lots to check :)

Dan FR

Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
24-26 round town , 30-34 on a run. Standard R.
However, you cannot rely on the trip computer to be accurate. I'm not sure of the exact reason but it's something to do with how you've driven the car over a previous time period - say one hour. So, when you filled up at zero miles it based it's consumption on how you drove it previously. If you ragged it for the previous hour, it'll be based on that. If you then drive like Miss Daisy for the subsequent hour, you'll notice a change in the overall mpg figure.
Think about it like this. The fuel consumption of any engine varies vastly . So, when you fill up and reset the consumption, the computer has to have some information to base it's figure on, and as
it's not a mind reader and hence not capable of predicting how you are going to drive, it uses previous data to give a figure, which is, at best, an estimate.
The longer you drive it for after filling up and resetting, the more information available to give a better, more realistic figure. Best method is brim the tank, reset the trip and see what you get per tank. :D

That is true of the MTE function, it's based on recent MPG so will be affected by recent driving. The MPG function is calculated real time based on info received from the ecu, primarily quantity of fuel injected and distance travelled.

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
That is true of the MTE function, it's based on recent MPG so will be affected by recent driving. The MPG function is calculated real time based on info received from the ecu, primarily quantity of fuel injected and distance travelled.

You mean the instant one? I understand that. It's the overall one I meant. Fill up car and it'll give you an instant ( well virtually) figure of the expected range and average MPG. Before you have moved the car.so it has to be based on previous figures obtained as you say. Given the low distance the OP covered, it's not a true reading of the average mpg. Hence the reason for a mpg per tankfull analysis. Or use fuelly as some do on here.

Last edited:

Dan FR

Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
MTE meaning Miles til empty, or expected range. This is worked out from recent driving as you say. just wanted to clarify that the average MPG readout (both trip and long term) are worked out in real time based on consumption and speed/distance travelled. The Range will take time to adjust but to be fair it does so fairly quickly :)