Thai's grey mk1 Cupra R

jt20vt

Sep 17, 2010
Back when I had my MK3 ibiza cupra 1.8T I was stopped in traffic when it over heated, that turned out to be a blown fuse on top of the battery box, replaced the fuse and topped up with coolant and never had a problem.
With the LCR I'd be changing the temp sender and thermostat to rule out 1st. With mine I checked the water pump and got that replaced too. Other thing to look at are the fans, I noted mine heating up in traffic a few years back and replaced the fans as small fan wouldn't work all the time, purchased them from Euro car parts, never had a problem since.
With regards to loosing coolant check the pipe from turbo to coolant res, mine was leaking due to age.

Attachments

• 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 149

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
It doesn't just overheat, it's only after coolant loss which is to be expected on any water cooled vehicle.
All the fuses are good, the fans kick in when needed - with or without air conditioning switched on.
The temperature sensor was replaced about 5 months ago for a genuine one as I had an intermittent gauge flicker.
I'm pretty confident the thermostat is ok as well plus with my colourMFA cluster I'm able to monitor actual coolant temperatures and changes accurately, unlike the user friendly analogue cluster dial on all VAG cars that stick at 90° unless there's a dramatic temp rise or drop.

I will investigate the turbo coolant and oil lines much closer though as these seem like plausible culprits in my troubles.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Silly question is your secondary cooling pump running ? , I was reading of one instance where the secondary pump wasnt running and the coolant was boiling away in the pipe.

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Yes I've always been aware of it spinning away after a good run but it's funny you should mention it as on this recent boiling up episode I noticed it gurgling away and the speed and tone changing as if there was air or lack of water passing through it?

Last edited:

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Today's tweaks were :

Remove the bonnet sound proofing as quite frankly it looked grubby and tired and had begun to sag on the lower edge.
The engine bay looks so much cleaner without it and the sound increase is negligible on a petrol anyway (I always kept them on my previous dervs)

Whilst I was in the area i also added an OE front bonnet lip rubber seal which I'd kept from my old FR TDI.
I'm not sure why these weren't standard from the factory but they help to keep some of the road dust out.

f0ad781ae4e518a0790e7040aeb1f83a.jpg
20e47eeb2617cf26d65d5dea1fd9708d.jpg

Reactions: bigT's lcr

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Today also saw me finally fit my Audi TT jacking points, they've only been in the boot for 6 months lol

b34027d09b1aa1ecea98c3b703616844.jpg
7943fa3120028066024953f4493fd790.jpg
abd7e0ae4d734ab0aa137d4aedbb6a3f.jpg

Reactions: bigT's lcr

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Almost fitted some 15mm hubcentric wheel spacers on the rear but my progress came to an abrupt halt when I discovered my car had the annoying rear discs with the deeper hub shoulder which dont allow the spacers to push right back onto the disc/ hub face by a few millimetres Grrrr!
15mm and over are usually alright as well and I didn't particularly want to space them out any further.

4c89cf18fcb9651fab1a2ae61f9359d0.jpg
d5d1c819b9a9aa430941059fbd55477e.jpg

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
A little more time was spent pulling the boot apart and tidying wiring to the sub, amp and reverse camera and although I've now got the working I'm struggling to get the camera to activate automatically when reverse is engaged.
It only wants to come on when the camera source is manually selected on the headunit display which is bloody useless to me.
Everything is connected up on both ends which is making think there's either a bad connection or a damaged cable somewhere along the line.

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Well this wasn't the long awaited update I was hoping to post as the huge pile of parts I'd accumulated were going to be fitted over the next two days will most certainly be put on hold...

The ******* cambelt has literally just snapped whilst gunning it down the M2!

To say I'm gutted is an absolute understatement.

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
Well this wasn't the long awaited update I was hoping to post as the huge pile of parts I'd accumulated were going to be fitted over the next two days will most certainly be put on hold...

Awe man I’m so sorry for you mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Anything can be fixed if your pockets are deep enough lol

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Yeah I could do it but I have very limited time on my hands and space to carry it out so I'm currently weighing up the options and costs involved.

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
I can officially confirm the belt did not snap but doesn't have any teeth left on it which leads me to believe something seized causing it strip them all off.
I'm thinking water pump or camshaft due to lack of lubrication.
No idea of internal damage yet though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leon20vt4

bigT's lcr

Delete. Beat. Repeat...
Feb 27, 2016
Leeds

What a ******* mate i feel for you :(

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
A small momento of the not so wonderful 6hr recovery process on Friday night.
171c165bd0120e076fc8fa274206627f.jpg

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
I can officially confirm the belt did not snap but doesn't have any teeth left on it which leads me to believe something seized causing it strip them all off.
I'm thinking water pump or camshaft due to lack of lubrication.
No idea of internal damage yet though.

Hoping for the best mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members