The car won't start and there is no fuel pump sound

bukkake_face

Jan 11, 2013
My petrol Seat Cordoba (6L2, 1.4 BBZ) won't start and I noticed that when ignition is on there is no fuel pump sound in the car. After switching ignition off and on various times it still doesn't make any sound. Prior to this problem the car worked perfectly, no hick ups on starts nor on the road and after a few hours it just won't start.

Checked with VCDS and there was no errors about the fuel pump, however I have an error related to EGR Basic settings not performed. It might be obvious that there is something with the fuel pump, but few weeks ago I changed EGR valve and I didn't perform its adaptation and I had exactly the same issue with the fuel pump not producing any sound, but then it suddenly started to work and all was ok until today.

Does anybody know if the lack of EGR adaptation causing an error in the ECU can have anything to do with fuel pump? Any suggestions on where to look first? Fuel filter, fuel pump, adaptation?

bukkake_face

Jan 11, 2013
Figured out that the fuel pump was faulty.

First I checked whether the relay was working when I turned the ignition on, it was easy to verify as it was within the reach and I just had to hear and touch it as it should produce a "click" when the ignition is on.
UbD1uT3.jpg

zbQIcHK.jpg

VaTwH7r.jpg

Then I substitued the fuse #14 and it made no difference.

And the only thing left to check was the fuel pump. The connector wiring was ok, however the resistance of the fuel pump was zero and the voltage as well when ignition was on which didn't make sense.
t2CowaX.jpg

Oh4jMe8.jpg

So I visited a local scrapheap and there was exactly the same fuel pump as mine, connected it to the battery and it worked perfectly, so I bought it for 40€, installed it easily and the car started normally.

The faulty fuel pump must have a faulty coil, I should check it later.

Reactions: chrissyboy
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members