The dreaded fuel filter

TDi_B5

Feb 2, 2010
Southampton
I tried to replace my fuel filter today (under the driver's side rear arch) but gave up! The damn thing just wouldn't budge and my fingers became so sore I just left it. From what I've read, this shouldn't be a big job!

I'm also thinking that the current filter is the original. Its made from black plastic, not metal. The fuel lines have clips on them with little tabs that look like they need depressing to get them off. This is what made my fingers so sore and numb and led me to giving up!

Who has done this job? I'm sure the car would run even better with a new filter on.

And how do you de-pressurise the fuel system? I couldn't see a fuse/relay for the fuel pump and there are only about 4 relays, and I've no idea what they control? Removing a relay is also another issue as they are sandwiched behind the fuses and there is no room to get them out?

Back in the warm now with my brittle fingers.....:cry:

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
I attempted this twice .................... and still never got around to doing it.

bigfella_V5

MG ZS 180 - V6
Feb 25, 2007
I did one on Saturday. Really easy, pop the rear wheel off and squeeze the pipe clips, push pipe in and then back out again.

POP.

allallyouyou

Arosa Sport
May 23, 2006
I agree its a mission but like a mission you need to soldier on and do it.

The pipe clips are a bit fiddly, just push them in hard enough and they will release.

Taking the wheel off is good advice as stated above!

:)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.