The first K04 TFSi Turbo to have been modified, and cost to overhaul / do the upgrade

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Today I spoke to a company that refurb and upgrade turbos and they reckon that they can refurb the K04 Cupra turbo and include a new thrust bearing for better reliability and shorten the shaft and modify the fins for better spool and top end power through ability to run slightly higher boost.

I also spoke to the company that used the modified turbo with the cut back shaft and modified fins on an S3 and they report better/harder spool, but they are going to suggest that the fins be more OEM like for the next version so that the top end power is better - they felt it weakened off at the top end.

Power / torque figures still to be confirmed, but it looks like there is more to be had from the Cupra using the stock hardware with a few tweaks and tucks. There is an uprated manifold being designed for the K04 turbo at the moment also.

Obviously, a custom map would be required to take advantage of this. Power/torque curves from the upgraded turbo have still to be done due to a lack of a 4 wheel drive rolling road where the work was done.

For those who are interested, in the event of issues, provided you can get the turbo off your car, it can be overhauled and upgraded if you make it available to this company for 3 days where 2 days are postage and 1 day is work done.

Basic refurb £295 + £20 + VAT
As above with uprated thrust £395 + £20 + VAT
As above with thrust and Cut back shaft £495 + £20 + VAT

The £20 is for pick up from you and delivery back to you.

Also, at the moment, the OEM turbo already has the largest wheels available in the K04 range, and, combined with the difficulty in holding and machining the compressor cover for a larger wheel, this means the only practical action for greater increase in power means changing turbo altogether. For now, there are no plans for designing a hybrid.

Therefore the OEM turbo does seem to be a good piece of kit, and up there size wize with the GT28 unit often used on the 1.8T engines.

Hope this helps/is of interest.

Horace

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
can you pm me their details like phone number and company name i would like to ask about this too don't mind blowing a bit more cheers

I maybe should have put in the title that this is for the Cupra mate, but I can PM you details as they might be able to do something for the 1.4 TSi also.

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
Today I spoke to a company that refurb and upgrade turbos and they reckon that they can refurb the K04 Cupra turbo and include a new thrust bearing for better reliability and shorten the shaft and modify the fins for better spool and top end power through ability to run slightly higher boost.

I also spoke to the company that used the modified turbo with the cut back shaft and modified fins on an S3 and they report better/harder spool, but they are going to suggest that the fins be more OEM like for the next version so that the top end power is better - they felt it weakened off at the top end.

Power / torque figures still to be confirmed, but it looks like there is more to be had from the Cupra using the stock hardware with a few tweaks and tucks. There is an uprated manifold being designed for the K04 turbo at the moment also.

Obviously, a custom map would be required to take advantage of this. Power/torque curves from the upgraded turbo have still to be done due to a lack of a 4 wheel drive rolling road where the work was done.

For those who are interested, in the event of issues, provided you can get the turbo off your car, it can be overhauled and upgraded if you make it available to this company for 3 days where 2 days are postage and 1 day is work done.

Also, at the moment, the OEM turbo already has the largest wheels available in the K04 range, and, combined with the difficulty in holding and machining the compressor cover for a larger wheel, this means the only practical action for greater increase in power means changing turbo altogether. For now, there are no plans for designing a hybrid.

Therefore the OEM turbo does seem to be a good piece of kit, and up there size wize with the GT28 unit often used on the 1.8T engines.

Horace

Very interesting. Would be nice if this would put the KO4 nearer the 400bhp bracket.

jonnyc

Sep 3, 2008
Intrigued to see what happens with this, I have spoken to a few people about the K04 turbo found on the TTS/Cupra/S3/Ed30 etc and they have all said the same, that there is not really any more to be had out of it because it already uses the maximum size of wheels etc etc..

I agree that it would be great to have more top end, but that comes from exhaust housing / wheel size, and not what there talking about..

I wouldn't want to have the boost come on any harder or have any more mid range, but top end yeah..

Ill be watching this closely :D

jamiebennett81

do you mean fit a 360 thrust bearing to allow for harder and more sustained boost and ensuring there is less play on the shaft?

and modify the turbine wheel i.e. fit a bigger one?

if they are fitting a bigger turbine wheel, how are they doing this? I presume they are machining out the inlet to allow for a bigger turbine wheel to be fitted?

if so, what bigger turbine wheel are they fitting, as I thought the newer k04 had the biggest k04 wheel fitted

Also what do they mean by shorten the shaft as well. Not heard of this modification to make a hybrid turbo, as not heard CR Turbo's mention this before so interested to understand what this does and the effects of doing this, just for my interest really:)

arisgti

Horace

Please sent me a pm with the company name..:D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise