the for sale section

Goot

There Can Be Only One!
Sep 9, 2002
Cheshire
Further query regarding the having a price bit. If I had something that had no personal value, but to someone else (thinking eBay) it might be worth say £15, could we not get away with £ offers/open to offers. Because if I put a guide price for example, as it was considered too high, even putting "open to offers" would put people off as they would think I wanted close to the price quoted. When in fact, I'd even accept £5, but would rather try and get more for it.

It is swings and roundabouts. Personally, if an ad didn't have any form of price acknowledgement - by that I mean the advertiser failing to put the words offers/open to offers, £ offers etc then yes - bin it. But with actually stating those words, you are in effect saying I am literally open to offers (not literally, in the literal sense mind - I'm married!)

I won't argue the rules, because at the end of the day, no rules= chaos. But, I'd be interested to know the feelings on the scenario above.

Goot :)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I'll setup a 'free/beer money' section then....

no doubt all the stupid people will post their cars in there.

Goot

There Can Be Only One!
Sep 9, 2002
Cheshire
Wouldn't have another section personally, just an addition to the rule stating all adverts must include a price OR say open to offers. If it doesn't, decline it.

But if someone does have a min price or a price range then this HAS to be stated, because this equates to I'll accept offers betwenn £x and £y.

If I've got some computer stuff I'd like to sell, last time, didn't get many replies, and this was advertised on SCN and a few mailing lists. When I changed the price to £offers- all of a sudden there was interest and I actually got more than the original asking price.

I think this is the fairest option? A lot of places will accept a price, offers, and/or price range. Most decline if nothing stated to that effect.

Make sense? :)

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
What you're saying makes sense, but at the end of the day it's a free service that is being provided and the rules have to be adhered to. By all means specify that you're willing to listen to offers, but at present at least a guide price must be stated.

Goot

There Can Be Only One!
Sep 9, 2002
Cheshire
eg. Epson Stylus Color 600 Printer £ offers
To me it's worth not a lot, if it doesn't sell its getting binned. But, someone one here might contact me and say I'll offer you £10 plus postage.

Like Steve not so long along asked me how much I was prepared to pay for a DDS-4 drive, I gave him a price and he accepted. If he advertised it as £60 I would have declined as I had a limited budget in mind, he didn't want it, so no one lost out.

Zboyd a while a go in a thread was hinting on selling his Corsair RAM. He didn't state at the time, but if he would have told me the price first I may not have considered it. As it wasn't for me, the person in question couldn't afford it (Saul to the rescue!)

Goot

There Can Be Only One!
Sep 9, 2002
Cheshire
mrcoyote said:
What you're saying makes sense, but at the end of the day it's a free service that is being provided and the rules have to be adhered to. By all means specify that you're willing to listen to offers, but at present at least a guide price must be stated.

A guide price isn't always possible though, unless you know its value. But to someone else it could be worth a lot more than you think it would be.

I sold some software on an eBay many moons ago. I'd picked it up as left over from a company IT installation. They said to bin it, on eBay it went with me expecting nothing (as I was planning on binning it)..... in the last 5mins, 10 people started a bidding war, sold for £230!!!!!! :-o

To me it was worthless, to the right person that was a bargain purchase! :-o

Goot

There Can Be Only One!
Sep 9, 2002
Cheshire
k11jrp said:
just follow the bloody rules, hells bells. They aint asking much are they, if you dont like it sell on ebay

/hands over protection money to k11jrp :)

Ok, I give in! Ignore my comments :)

/follows k11jrp home with a supersoaker. Fires...
DAMN This cold weather! Bah Humbug......

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
They obviously know better than everyone else. Have to admit that I've gotten a few threads deleted for that in the past. Now I just wonder whether there's any point.

Goot

There Can Be Only One!
Sep 9, 2002
Cheshire
Full apologies if I've caused a bit of a stir in CampSCN. Not sure what the thread that got deleted was about, can only assume some pi$$ taking, like some postings on here.

I offered my suggestions in this current thread, as a help to try and overcome some legit for sale postings that may have been declined due to no price indicated. I'm not going to go over them again, as I said just a suggestion. Everything has a price, but not everyone knows what price something might be valued at. I have another idea to overcome this if I have to put an actual price down. But, this could be contraversial (sp?) :whistle:

If you are thinking of adding more classified sections, may I suggest scrapping any "make me an offer" sections, but actually expand on the more popular for sale items eg. have a Computer related for sale/wanted section etc?

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
I have a question, what about ebay adverts, obviously you cant state a price as its an aution with possibly no buy it now feature. What do you do then?

And as for contact details, is it good enough to say; contact seller through eBay. ?

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
Ebay auctions are generally ok, but please try to state what they're about rather than just dumping a link in there with no explaination.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.