The great car washing thread.

Cheesy_wotsit

Jun 30, 2017
I did a search to see if their was any singular thread for hints tips, techniques, products or even decent services for washing cars and all I could find was a few loose threads about interior and wheel cleaning and a few random posts in other threads that hinted at some folk using some seriously exotic (not sure if that's the word) stuff to wash their cars.

Of course if there is a thread like this already then a link to post and a gentle note tell me to shut it would be appreciated.

So yeah tell us about what you think is the best way to keep your car clean and looking great.

mrbugle

Jun 25, 2015
detailingworld has an excellent Noob section I used, I got advice on which products to use from the dude who Detailed my car after I bought it. Prepare to spend around £150-£200 on products alone, but you can buy things as needed of course. Wheel woolies are super handy, as is a deep plush drying towel.

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
Some people like spending a full day cleaning and polishing their cars, I'm not one of them.

... I've been using ArmorAll Shield Liquid Wax. The initial wash and "wax" takes nearly an hour, subsequent washes as above.

- Very easy to apply (whole car done in 15-20 minutes), can be applied in direct sun, no nasty residues and mine is still beading after 3 months. [Full review here ]
-Just use it sparingly and do no more than a panel at a time. Using too much or letting it fully dry can leave a slightly rough finish which will hold dirt.
- I use ArmorAll Shield Wash for regular washes and the "wax" is revitalised afterwards. You can buy both in a pack for about £15 on Amazon Ebay. I use my leafblower to dry the car after washing, then drag a clean MF over it.

Whole car washed, dried and "waxed" in under an hour . Only 2 products plus a couple of wash mits (one MF, one lambswool) foam polish applicator, 2 buckets and some MF towels. Job done.

Last edited:

arf1989

Apr 9, 2014
I did a search to see if their was any singular thread for hints tips, techniques, products or even decent services for washing cars and all I could find was a few loose threads about interior and wheel cleaning and a few random posts in other threads that hinted at some folk using some seriously exotic (not sure if that's the word) stuff to wash their cars.

Of course if there is a thread like this already then a link to post and a gentle note tell me to shut it would be appreciated.

So yeah tell us about what you think is the best way to keep your car clean and looking great.

Depends on the level you want to making your car immaculate - but a simple 2 bucket approach is always good to start. It minimises the dirt / grit to avoid small scratches you could spread onto your car's paintwork.

Last edited:

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
but a simple 2 bucket approach is always good to start. It minimises the dirt / grit to avoid small scratches you could spread onto your car's paintwork.

at the very least do this. 2 bucket method, quality shampoo (not fairy liquid) and don't use a sponge. Start at the top and work down. Rinse the car before you start and rinse regular during.

After that it's endless how far you can go. Clay bar, polish, wax, ceramic coatings. If you catch the bug before long you'll be cleaning it with holy water and a wash mitt made from virgin unicorn pubes :happy:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
I'd recommend investing in a jet wash with a foam attachment. Use this to pre wash the car , to loosen/remove dirt & grit before using the two bucket wash. With regards to the jet wash, don't worry about getting one of the all singing all dancing really high pressure models, yes high pressure will shift things but you also risk damaging paintwork etc. Flow rate is more important.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014

I'd recommend investing in a good basic 'starter washing kit' for regular washing;

Two buckets; one for shampoo and water mx for washing, and one for clean water for rinsing your wash mitt during washing.
A couple of grit guards for the buckets are useful to keep any dirt and grit from washing in the bottom of the bucket below the guards and not re-applied back on your paintwork.
A couple of wash mitts; one for wheels and the other for bodywork.
A ph neutral shampoo.
Some good quality car drying towels.

If you've got access to an outside tap, a hose for rinsing or longer term (if you've not got one), a pressure washer is useful.

As mrbugle suggests, the guides on Detailing World are a good place to start and well worth a read. A starter washing kit and a good washing technique is a good starting point to keep your car in good shape and will help to minimise inflicting swirls to your paintwork. Periodic decontamination, polishing and waxing will then help protect it from the elements.

How far you want to go with maintaining your car's paintwork is up to you. Some people get really into car detailing in a big way and invest in the type of equipment used by professional detailers to keep their cars in tip top condition. You can still achieve some pretty good results though without going that far.

Havsgaard

Jan 15, 2014
Denmark
I use Optimum no rinse and shine for whole car - two bucket system - and optimum spray on wax. Prior to washing I rinse off the most heavy dirt like you would normally do.

mrbugle

Jun 25, 2015
If I'm in a hurry, I'll clean the wheels with wheel cleaner, rinse the whole car down wit water. Apply prewash to lower half of car, wait a few minutes and rinse the whole thing down.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.