The Knocking's Back

maxcars1

Nov 9, 2004
Took my car to the stealers whilst it was in warranty some 4 months ago complaining about a knocking on turning into lefthand junction. Fisrt visit was a quick regrease of the lower wishone bushes. No fix so they replaced the ARB and
bushes and links. Now the noise is back again not even 3k on. Where do and stand on this? - Warranty ran out Nov 1. Its defo on the left hand side, but difficult to say front or rear.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Hi Mate

You might have read this elsewhere, but...

I had my top mounts replaced under warranty because they clonked during low-speed, tight-turn manuoevring - I'd put my money on them being the cause.

Other faults could be the spring not being seated correctly in the lower mount, there is a recess and couple of metal lugs in which the end of the spring should tightly fit; one of mine wasn't and I suspect it was moving about under tight steering.

Top mounts are quite cheap, if you're good with tools and not afraid to have a go, here's my guide, front struts aren't very easy to get out though:
http://www.seat-ibiza-mk4.co.uk/ibiza_front_shock_absorber_change.htm
:)

maxcars1

Nov 9, 2004
muddyboots said:
Hi Mate

You might have read this elsewhere, but...

I had my top mounts replaced under warranty because they clonked during low-speed, tight-turn manuoevring - I'd put my money on them being the cause.

Other faults could be the spring not being seated correctly in the lower mount, there is a recess and couple of metal lugs in which the end of the spring should tightly fit; one of mine wasn't and I suspect it was moving about under tight steering.

Top mounts are quite cheap, if you're good with tools and not afraid to have a go, here's my guide, front struts aren't very easy to get out though:
http://www.seat-ibiza-mk4.co.uk/ibiza_front_shock_absorber_change.htm
:)

The Eibach kit, which has been sat around for 6 mths is finally going on in Jan with those new recommended top mounts - hopefully this will cure the knock

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.