The LCR broke again

Pagnobito

No more LCR
Sep 24, 2002
Almost Maidstone
Visit site
88.5K ish now,
Jerky power, will only really pull away on very gentle throttle otherwise will kangeroo, too much and it sound like misfire, and engine light flashing at me.
Limped home tonight, stopped at lights and I thought it was going to conk out, very lumpy turnover, kept the revs artifically high, drove onto the drive and had a listen. Metallic clanky noise coming from engine and almost stalling itself.
I hope it is just a spark plug gone, could account for all the above, but one wearing out after 8.5K is a bit worrying, especially as it has done it before.

Too much trouble now, time to change cars me thinks.

surfo

Leon Cupra 1.8T GT3071R
Jul 13, 2004
www.xmsports.com.mx
you have a broken coil... (or how it´s called the thing you conect to the spark).. sorry bad english..
you can tell wich one is broken by unpluging one at the time... if nothing happens then you found it... if car misfires more then that one is OK.

or if you can get a VAG-COM then check it with it. and it will tell you wich one is bad.

greetings.

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Sorry to hear that Mike :( remember if it is Coil Packs they should be covered for 5 years.

(Off Topic - Sorry I haven't replied to your 2 emails, been on Holiday last week and part of the week before......came back Yesterday to a disaster zone.....LOL at the video clip of me bottling it at Donny and taking a sharp exit onto the full GP course :cartman: I will respond soon ;) )

Pagnobito

No more LCR
Sep 24, 2002
Almost Maidstone
Visit site
Yes, I figured coil packs or plugs, however I did not expect them to fail so soon, as the coils got replaced about 12K ago and the plugs 8.5K at the 80K service, or at least I got charged for new plugs so I am assuming they got changed.

I do not have access to any diagnostic kit, so I am hoping it will limp to the dealers Thursday morning, in the meantime the Porsche gets a run out, and possibly the Pug106, completely different end of the scales there!

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Wasnt on the way back from mine was it? Sorry to here that, not your week really. But on the positive side at least its one of two things which are covered by warrenty or cheap ish(spark plugs that is)

Pagnobito

No more LCR
Sep 24, 2002
Almost Maidstone
Visit site
No, it was perfectly behaved on Sunday, only went a bit wrong yesterday. It is sat at home on the drive sulking now.
Agreed shouldn't be too much, last time cylinder 2 had the problem, and the plug was replaced free, after 3 coil packs. If it is cylinder 2 again, then I think I will be looking for another car. I want to keep it a bit longer but if there is something more serious causing the problem, leading to this inside the engine, then I am best shot of it. I will probably trade it in for a Honda, or a Lexus going by the Top Gear Survey!

Pagnobito

No more LCR
Sep 24, 2002
Almost Maidstone
Visit site
Bit of a delay to the update, but I have been a bit busy.

The problem was two coilpacks on 1 and 3 cylinder.

I feel that the car is now better than it has been for thousands of miles, but maybe it is just the cold weather helping. I used to get stuttering performance in high gear acceleration from fairly low revs, unless I used Optimax, but that seems to have gone now with the new coils. Would it really have been possible that I had a 'slightly' dodgy coil for all this time, and I mean 50K+ miles? Very strange, so I will just have to wait until we get back into the warm weather.
Not sure if I will have the car then, getting itchy feet, looked at the Focus ST, but not driven it, and waiting for the new Civic to hit the showroom in January, apparantly its a bonkers sensible car.

Pagnobito

No more LCR
Sep 24, 2002
Almost Maidstone
Visit site
What is your new car then?

I think it will be a Honda for me next, boring maybe, but reliable, and at least I have the Porker for the weekends.
I have had a Honda before and the bodywork gave way before the mechanicals did.

neeleyveeley

Eyed Beauty
Mar 9, 2004
Midlands
Visit site
Pagnobito said:
What is your new car then?

I think it will be a Honda for me next, boring maybe, but reliable, and at least I have the Porker for the weekends.
I have had a Honda before and the bodywork gave way before the mechanicals did.

Had to do it so gone diesel and Vauxhall too so Astra SRi + ext pack n some fancy lights and a few other bits too. Hoping it will last me about 100k or so in the next few years. Think yours is still one of the highest milers out there mate and surprised that the packs have not all gone yet.

Pagnobito

No more LCR
Sep 24, 2002
Almost Maidstone
Visit site
I didnt really know what an ext pack was, but now I do, so i am seriously tempted by the Diesel sport hatch 150ps Sri +ext pack, so I will go and look at one soon, it looks like the VXR and that is one nice looking motor. I did vow never to go back to vauxhall, because they could never ever fix a problem first visit, it always took two or three, but I may be swayed.
I have just found a site where I can get the car for 15K, which is a 3.3K saving from the dealer.
What are the fancy lights then?
Did you get the 3 or 5 door, any pics?

I have gone right off thread now oops

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise