The MK4 audio thread!

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
red and yellow isnt it? is that in the black or brown casing?

Not sure what colour plug ( don't have the MK4 any more to look )

Many aftermarket head units are red & yellow - yes
They also have bullet connectors in the red and yellow wires so you can easily swap them over.

Rollamite

Dec 20, 2013
Ah so am i swapping the aftermarket rather than the cars wires? sorry to sound like a dunce all my prior cars were subarus

darkphoenix

Black ground wire

---

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmy-james

Aug 10, 2011
Norwich in sunny Norfolk
A couple of questions before i rip out the front speakers in my car; Is there a factory crossover or is it resistor based like the cheap components? I don't want to manipulate the factory wiring too much in case i want to return it to stock again. Also, what type of adapter plug/harness do i need to convert plugs to bare wires (links appreciated)?

5T3V3

n00b
Dec 23, 2014
Haute-Savoie
thanks!

Excellent and detailed post. Thanks!

Any plans to do something similar for the MK5 (or is the wiring largely unchanged)?

Jimmy-james

Aug 10, 2011
Norwich in sunny Norfolk
Does anyone know the polarity of the factory speaker wires on the fronts? To keep things neat; I'm planning on using the factory wiring and installing a sub but will be running the Kappa's on HPF to reduce the load on the headunit. I had a complicated setup when i had the T4 but want to keep it simple this time around.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Does anyone know the polarity of the factory speaker wires on the fronts? To keep things neat; I'm planning on using the factory wiring and installing a sub but will be running the Kappa's on HPF to reduce the load on the headunit. I had a complicated setup when i had the T4 but want to keep it simple this time around.

Have a look here and match it to your wires behind the headunit

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showpost.php?p=2147777&postcount=17

You can also do a simple test on the wires.
Take a 1.5v battery and touch the pair of wires going to each speaker.
The wire on the +ve side of the battery when the speaker cone moves OUT ( towards you ) is the positive wire.

Last edited:

ajanja

Jan 16, 2015
Guernsey / Channel Islands
Nice

Nice I followed it and WOAH! after two days got this thing installed ;D

I drilled through the firewall for the power cable, but made sure that its been water proofed and now fireproof. great tutorial, now i'm thinking of putting more into the car!

i will post some photos after when i hit my 15 post mile stone, but for now i cant! :)

Jimmy-james

Aug 10, 2011
Norwich in sunny Norfolk
Bit of a hint to do with polarity. I bought the adapters that plug into factory connectors for my components. Mine sounds awesome with the kappa fronts running off the head unit and a reference 10" sub running off an alpine mono block. It's plenty loud enough for me anyway with a very neutral tone.

Supervan II

Jan 23, 2009
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Hmmm. Excellent write-up! :1st:

Now if someone could shed some light on my problem: 2007 Ibiza 2.0 Sport with Alana HU (non-MP3)

So I pulled the standard HU out and replaced it with a OEM Gamma (with MP3) unit from a 2006 Polo GTi (9N3). (This HU also comes with a 6CD changer and both were working perfectly before I removed it from the donor vehicle)

Problem is that the new HU does not respond at all:
1. Lighting works
2. Flashing red LED present (next to CD slot)
3. Pressing CD LOAD/EJECT buttons produce the right sounds
4. No display whatsoever: No SAFE / 1000 / LEARN (so I cannot enter the security code!)
5. I've tried various button combinations (eg: TP & SCAN and SEEK>> & SCAN) with absolutely no luck
6. I've left the key in the ignition for 1+ hours (red LED stops flashing)
7. I've checked all the fuses (and removed the HU fuse for 5 minutes before putting it back)

Strangely the CD shuttle works perfectly when I connect it to the Alana HU - it's a straight plug-in. (The only requirement is that I still have to tap a wire off the lighting circuit for the shuttle's illumination)

Any help appreciated!

I HATE giving up! :D

Last edited:

ajanja

Jan 16, 2015
Hmmm. Excellent write-up! :1st:

Now if someone could shed some light on my problem: 2007 Ibiza 2.0 Sport with Alana HU (non-MP3)

So I pulled the standard HU out and replaced it with a OEM Gamma (with MP3) unit from a 2006 Polo GTi (9N3). (This HU also comes with a 6CD changer and both were working perfectly before I removed it from the donor vehicle)

Problem is that the new HU does not respond at all:
1. Lighting works
2. Flashing red LED present (next to CD slot)
3. Pressing CD LOAD/EJECT buttons produce the right sounds
4. No display whatsoever: No SAFE / 1000 / LEARN (so I cannot enter the security code!)
5. I've tried various button combinations (eg: TP & SCAN and SEEK>> & SCAN) with absolutely no luck
6. I've left the key in the ignition for 1+ hours (red LED stops flashing)
7. I've checked all the fuses (and removed the HU fuse for 5 minutes before putting it back)

Strangely the CD shuttle works perfectly when I connect it to the Alana HU - it's a straight plug-in. (The only requirement is that I still have to tap a wire off the lighting circuit for the shuttle's illumination)

Any help appreciated!

I HATE giving up! :D

This happend to me first time around, try swapping the wires round like said in the forum before,

On your head unit there's the wires going into it, you should see a red and a yellow one, that can be disconnected in a rubber cap, swap them around, so red into yellow and yellow into red, one if the controllers the turn on the stero, the other one keeps it on!

I'll post some photos if your still stuck :)

Supervan II

Jan 23, 2009
This happend to me first time around, try swapping the wires round like said in the forum before,

On your head unit there's the wires going into it, you should see a red and a yellow one, that can be disconnected in a rubber cap, swap them around, so red into yellow and yellow into red, one if the controllers the turn on the stero, the other one keeps it on!

I'll post some photos if your still stuck :)

Thanks! Will have to unwrap loom first. Seems as if previous owner had an aftermarket HU installed as there's evidence of tampering.

Supervan II

Jan 23, 2009
Thanks! Will have to unwrap loom first. Seems as if previous owner had an aftermarket HU installed as there's evidence of tampering.

So here is the Ibiza wiring on the BLACK terminal block (looking at it end-on):
1-I. WHITE/BROWN - NOT USED
2-J. blank
3-K. WHITE/GREY - NOT USED (CAN BUS)
4-L. BROWN/RED - + 12V IGNITION (was split at some stage and re-connected)
5-M. Blank - NEEDS +12V ?????? Switched/Unswitched?
6-N. GREY/BLUE - LIGHTING
7-O. BLACK/BLUE - + 12V BATTERY
8-P. BROWN/BLUE - EARTH

Thanks for your help!

ajanja

Jan 16, 2015
I literately drilled through the firewall

yG9EeYO.jpg

But SuperVan, this is what i had to do to fix the memory and any head unit problem that I had, just swapped round the wires

H1GFvqV.jpg

Last edited:

Supervan II

Jan 23, 2009
OK, so I gave terminal 5 a +12V switched wire (tapped off T4)

1. The radio immediately went into SAFE mode (I can now switch it on & off - BUT only when the ignition is ON).
2. As soon as I pull out the key, it loses the code.

But SuperVan, this is what i had to do to fix the memory and any head unit problem that I had, just swapped round the wires
So which terminal wires should I swap, 5 & 7? (It seems so, if I go according to your pic)

PS: Thanks for your patience!

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.