The Ridiculous Fading Panel Lights

TonyFSC

Jun 20, 2015
I find this really annoying. In a journey through my village on a Summers day I should have put my headlights on 6 times according to VAG.
Every tree I passed caused the lights to fade, when I wanted them to increase in brightness, if anything.
The only way to avoid this nonsense is to drive on headlights permanently.
Anyone got a better fix!
Tony

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Is it possible to adjust the auto light sensitivity in the vehicle set-up? If not best option is not to leave the dial on Auto...

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Is it possible to adjust the auto light sensitivity in the vehicle set-up? If not best option is not to leave the dial on Auto...

I'm guessing the op doesn't have auto lights ??
What he describes is what happens if you don't have auto lights, if the sensor detects low light levels, it switches off the dash lights to remind you too put on your headlights.
a safety feature, which especially with day running lights being so bright it makes sense as if your dashboard lights stayed on it could be easy I guess for some people to think they already have the head lights on

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
What he describes is what happens if you don't have auto lights, if the sensor detects low light levels, it switches off the dash lights to remind you too put on your headlights

Happens with auto lights too, does on ours anyway. Annoying at times.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Happens with auto lights too, does on ours anyway. Annoying at times.

O I didn't realise it did it on the auto lights too, does it still do it if you leave it in auto all the time? Just never noticed it on mine, only noticed it when I had a loan car without auto lights hence my (now mistaken)comment :)

TonyFSC

Jun 20, 2015
What he describes is what happens if you don't have auto lights, if the sensor detects low light levels, it switches off the dash lights to remind you too put on your headlights.
a safety feature, which especially with day running lights being so bright it makes sense as if your dashboard lights stayed on it could be easy I guess for some people to think they already have the head lights on

I don't need to put my lights on to pass a tree and I'm quite capable of assessing when I need headlights on.
This feature is not going to persuade the asses who drive in pouring rain with no lights in the fast lane of the motorway.
Grrrr!

Mr Mustard

Jan 24, 2015
South East

Brilliant. Here was me thinking I had faulty dash lighting after I noticed them off a couple of times!

It all fits now, I'd noticed it just as it was getting dark - how dumb am I.

Got to be careful when you're used to cars with auto lights.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
O I didn't realise it did it on the auto lights too, does it still do it if you leave it in auto all the time? Just never noticed it on mine, only noticed it when I had a loan car without auto lights hence my (now mistaken)comment :)

Yup, it does. Our light switch stays in auto unless I feel the need to turn em on. Previous R was similar, only they (dash lights) didn't seem to dim as much.
Off subject slightly, but reference headlights in rain on mways, Sunday on M6 light drizzle, cars varied from no lights (stupid) sidelights/drl's (a bit thick) headlights ( :clap: ) but the worst?
To55ers who insisted on putting rear fog lights on...... ( totally thick useless c-units :censored: [:@] ) the clue is in the word you fkn morons ...... :wtf:

perkman1969

Feb 25, 2015
NE England
Yup, it does. Our light switch stays in auto unless I feel the need to turn em on. Previous R was similar, only they (dash lights) didn't seem to dim as much.

Off subject slightly, but reference headlights in rain on mways, Sunday on M6 light drizzle, cars varied from no lights (stupid) sidelights/drl's (a bit thick) headlights ( :clap: ) but the worst?

To55ers who insisted on putting rear fog lights on...... ( totally thick useless c-units :censored: [:@] ) the clue is in the word you fkn morons ...... :wtf:

Love the last bit Kaz, my feelings exactly!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Look at it this way: they are obviously in their own personal fog bank, and the lights are a good "Idiot onboard" signal..

Matt280

Jan 14, 2015

It's more people who seem to think that you are not allowed to turn fog lights on and off according to the conditions. 'No, i've turned them on so they are staying on'!

There have been occasions where the spray is so bad on motorways that i can't see a car 50yds in front of me unless they have fog lights on. Or the attitude that i can see everyone so why do i need lights on? 'You can see everyone else as they all have lights on!!' Rant over

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
It's more people who seem to think that you are not allowed to turn fog lights on and off according to the conditions. 'No, i've turned them on so they are staying on'!

There have been occasions where the spray is so bad on motorways that i can't see a car 50yds in front of me unless they have fog lights on. Or the attitude that i can see everyone so why do i need lights on? 'You can see everyone else as they all have lights on!!' Rant over

Sunday was very light spray, vision was at least 500M if not more. Only the odd one or two felt the need, but irritating when you are behind said knob jockey. If vision is less than 50yds then yes, fog lights ( and lower speed/bigger gap) would be a requirement, it certainly wasn't Sunday. Once clear of rain , by the M6/A14 junction, there were still Muppets with rear fogs on. Mind you, I suppose the clue is in the day........ :D

Boxer

Jul 11, 2015
This is indeed really annoying... unfortunately there nothing you can do against it :(

JODmeister

May 9, 2013
You can sort this via vcds......set rear lights to on to run with the front DRL's. The dash lights don't then dim.

neil_f225

Mar 14, 2005
I never use auto lights. Possibly due to previous cars having xenons which auto lights can reduce the lifespan due to constantly switching on/off, the fact that I'm capable and intelligent enough to switch them on myself and also it annoys me the amount of cars that clearly have auto lights, they drive under a bridge or through a short , well lit tunnel and the lights will come on for a few seconds then switch back off again. How is this of any benefit. They can still be easily seen as it is still daylight. Yet another useless aid which means people don't have to concentrate as much when driving. Rant over!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise