The Ridiculous Fading Panel Lights

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Been lucky enough to use a Mk3 SE (Tech) this week for work and even just after a week the diming display starts to annoy you. I was under the impression it would only happen if the Lights were set to ‘0’ (so Driving lights only) but it also happens in the ‘Auto’ Position. I set the sensitivity to Low to see if that made a difference but only in the fact the headlights did not actually come on the dashboard still faded in an out as the sunlight flicked between the trees. This morning from Worthing to Woking it was up and down like a bride’s nightdress. Mostly fading in and out but sometimes jumping from On to Off.

The car though – love it, petrol SE handles great and although wouldn’t win any drag races the in gear (and real world performance) is spot on, comfy and handle well, even sound quite fruity. No rattles and its done 14k and no stone chips whatsoever (Silver).

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Been lucky enough to use a Mk3 SE (Tech) this week for work and even just after a week the diming display starts to annoy you. I was under the impression it would only happen if the Lights were set to ‘0’ (so Driving lights only) but it also happens in the ‘Auto’ Position. I set the sensitivity to Low to see if that made a difference but only in the fact the headlights did not actually come on the dashboard still faded in an out as the sunlight flicked between the trees. This morning from Worthing to Woking it was up and down like a bride’s nightdress. Mostly fading in and out but sometimes jumping from On to Off.

The car though – love it, petrol SE handles great and although wouldn’t win any drag races the in gear (and real world performance) is spot on, comfy and handle well, even sound quite fruity. No rattles and its done 14k and no stone chips whatsoever (Silver).

I agree. Had a ride out to Welshire in the Cupra yesterday, and the dash lights are a bit crap. They dim far too quickly when ambient light drops briefly, and the sensitivity setting only affects at what point the headlights come on. I remember previous LCR doing this, but don't think it was as bad.

nimdy

Jun 10, 2015
I'm guessing there is no fix to this then?

I've only had my Leon for four days and this 'feature' is already pissing me off. In my old Audi A3 it would do this when the lights were in off mode, but would behave themselves when set to DRL. In the Leon I have the options of off, auto and then sides/dipped lights. Not really useful paying for auto lights then having to manually set them to on/off because of the bloody speedo lights!

Last edited:

Wendon

Nov 9, 2014
North Wales
I have to say this also annoys the hell out of me. Don't have the auto lights but drive through 3 tunnels every day and the second I drive into the tunnel the speedo etc just disappears into the abyss unless i turn the lights on - but these tunnels are fairly short so can't be arsed to swith them on and then off for 15 or so seconds. Glad I'm not alone though: Does anyone know where the light sensor is on the instrument panel?

TonyFSC

Jun 20, 2015
Now I'm finally resigned to have to put up with the ridiculous fading panel lights, I have discovered the following:
The panel lights are least distracting when on the lowest (dimmest) setting.
Even with headlights on, the panel lights still go up and down in brightness, so the VAG explanation that it's a reminder to switch the lights on is rubbish.
Tony

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
There has to be a light sensor somewhere to tell the ECU that the car is in the dark. Maybe you could find the sensor, find out what voltage it passes to send the 'in daylight' signal and swap the sensor for a resistor that resulted in the same signal?

So the car would always think it was daytime.

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
There has to be a light sensor somewhere to tell the ECU that the car is in the dark. Maybe you could find the sensor, find out what voltage it passes to send the 'in daylight' signal and swap the sensor for a resistor that resulted in the same signal?

Get that man a drink! Is this something that can be messed with in vcds?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Get that man a drink! Is this something that can be messed with in vcds?

I don't know, maybe? I guess if you could tell the ECU to only dim the lights when there was a 'zero light' signal from the sensor that would do the same thing.

What I like about replacing the sensor itself is that it does not involve changing the coding so there is no risk of any warranty issues. Also, if you hid the resistor in the wiring and took the sensor out of circuit but left it in place the mod would be virtually impossible to detect, even if someone looked at the sensor.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK

The sensor is in the instrument panel.

Try getting in to the car at night and starting the engine

With the lights OFF - use a bright torch and approach the instruments - they will light up.

DoodleDids

Aug 30, 2014
The more you notice it, the more it irritates.

Had the car 10 months now. Due first oil change would happily pay double service price to fix this irritating issue.

Drove about 8 miles the other day just as the sun was setting and the display must have gone dark, light about 100 times.

:censored:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Had the car 10 months now. Due first oil change would happily pay double service price to fix this irritating issue.

Drove about 8 miles the other day just as the sun was setting and the display must have gone dark, light about 100 times.

:censored:

Same here. Only way was to see the fkn things was to turn the sidelights on. Useless. I know they used to vary on Mk2's but I'm sure they never went out altogether.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
So does anyone know exactly where the light sensor is? I find it hard to see it being in the instrument binnacle as it's dark in there anyway.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
So does anyone know exactly where the light sensor is? I find it hard to see it being in the instrument binnacle as it's dark in there anyway.

The guys on the vw forums are talking about finding the "lights on" signal to the instruments and making it ignition live so the dash is lit with the ignition on.

The sensor for the golf is somewhere between the 5000 & 6000 rpm on the rev counter.

LCR33

Aug 18, 2014
In a house
I'm guessing the op doesn't have auto lights ??
What he describes is what happens if you don't have auto lights, if the sensor detects low light levels, it switches off the dash lights to remind you too put on your headlights.
a safety feature, which especially with day running lights being so bright it makes sense as if your dashboard lights stayed on it could be easy I guess for some people to think they already have the head lights on

The lcr mk1 dash lights are always on, never forgotten once in 6 years to turn lights on :whistle:

Highlander

Mar 16, 2016
At risk of being flamed for bumping an old post, has anyone come up with any fixes or workarounds for this? I've only had my '14 FR 184 DSG/Tech/Convenience/Winter/Full LED for a couple of weeks, and this "feature" annoys the pants off me! It doesn't matter if light switch is set to Off (DRLs), Auto or On - the dash lights still dim away to nothing with the slightest passing cloud.

And another annoying thing is not being able to easily adjust the brightness of the dash lights at night. I like a very dim display in front of me when driving in the dark - and I mean proper black, countryside dark. In "the old days", there was a knurled wheel beside the rotary light switch, that allowed you to dim or brighten the dashboard lights. Simple, easy to use, easy to find in the dark. Now I have to find some setting buried deep in a series of on-screen menus: practically impossible to do while driving (and not very safe, either!)

Retrograde steps, IMO!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.