They dented my car! Im NOT happy

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
m0rk said:
Maybe that's the way that it should be from day one? it pays for a supplier to know they're the supplier from time to time

Glad it's fixed (or in process) but I know you'll check it throughly in the future.

Yeah your right, i suppose it made it better for me knowing that i could have a laugh with them as being a girl i normally have people trying to take the :censored: but i know now that it will be different

I will make sure i look at it before and after when i next go down!

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
I got my car back on Thursday last week! I was well happy as i had not driven it other than to the bodyshop on Monday and was having withdrawl symptoms!

I had asked them NOT to wash her as i did not want stratches on her so made sure i checked it over but was hard to tell as she was SO dusty!

I washed her on Saturday and thats when i found out what they had REALLY done to her

The wing is perfect, looks brilliant but the overspray of what looks to be primer ALL over half of my bonnet with a distinct line of where it was masked, is not! I am FUMING

I then look over to the door and on the pillar bit above the wing mirror there is two flat spots, one is small but one looks like a hand print! There is NO shine to the paint as if the top layer has been taken off

How the :censored: can they get it SO wrong and how come they even need to go near the door pillar, it goes in for one thing and comes out with something else

I called them Saturday and he knew who i was as he said 'Oh have you got the Black Ibiza that we did not wash'

He said to take it down this week and they will sort it but i dont want them using any paint thinners to get the paint off, i think it deserves a respray?

What should i do?

V5Ade

I love my LCR!
Aug 26, 2004
Guildford
This happend to a friend of mines car at a Body shop in Guildford. Her car, an blue 106, was covered in red overspray (the entire car including the glass!!). We assume that a red car was painte next to her car.
After lot's of grief with the body shop screwing up every time, the insurance company decided to get a gut from a restoration company involved. This guy just clayed the overspray off, then polished it and waxed it. It was much better than before it went in.

Maybe this is an option for you?

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Sounds as if they havent finished the job. It will all polish out etc its just a shame they didnt do it right the first time. You get that when you do these jobs its just how you finish them

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Its a pain in the arse alex but dont worry. They will polish it all up fine. I had the smae issues a a few years back with a state blyue fiesta that had more or less the same issues ur having. After it came back from the polishers it was far better than it had ever been as they had to blend and polish the whole car!

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
I have just got back from the bodyshop! The guy i spoke to on Saturday saw me pull up and came out to have a look

He made me feel like such a numpty and was :censored: patronising, why are they ALWAYS like this with me, every place i go to treats me like this pretty much and its not fair! I know how my car looks more than anyone and what was on there was NOT there when it went in

He said if i had of let them wash it then they would have seen this before and i said 'Yeah ok but i did not want to risk getting scratches all over it as i spend SO much time cleaning and looking after it'

He said that it was polish and it would come out and the same with the flat spot but it was the way he did it, he started picking it with his fingers and i was like 'PLEASE DONT DO THAT AS YOU MAY SCRATCH MY PAINT' and he was like 'No its fine' i was like :censored: get off my car!

I said that it was overspray and you could see clearly the line from where it was taped up and he said 'No thats not from where its been taped and its not the same colour of any of the paint we use'

They took it in to sort out and i said i dont want paint thinners used to take it off and he was like 'Well i dont know who told you about that but we wouldnt use that' i was like im pretty sure you would do whatever it takes if you know the customer wont find out

When i was in Reception i thought i would ask how much it would be to get my front bumper resprayed and he is like 'Whats the point its only going to happen again' i was like 'Does it matter why i want it done?' FFS do you know what i mean?

I wa sjust talking in general about my paintwork and how i had had the meter on it and it was reading about 88 microns and it should be 100+ microns (so i had been told) and he told me that was :censored: and it was fine and i said 'So who do i believe? I have one person telling me one thing and you telling me something else, do you see my point' he was like 'Well i can tell you its fine' :think:

Anyway soon after that he got my car and showed me it! It looks ok although they managed to get :censored: all over the front bumper and that had to be wiped with a cloth, which in turn kind of defeats the object of me keeping my paintwork stratch free (bearing in mind its been raining and the car is filthy now)

He went on again to say if they had washed it they could have sorted it before i got it back and i just said 'Its fine and it was filthy but i did not want it done' and he then said he was sorry! I cant really complain anymore but its annoying that i had to go back when i thought everything was fine!

Last edited:

Stu B

DarthWombleIII & WombleII
All I'm going to say Alex is I hope you can get this sorted.. I had some fun a few years ago now, Womble I had a few stone chips on the front bonnet wings etc.. But I maintained a `good` relationship with the dealer principle & `we` just keep pushing the car back to the bodyshop when it came out `with errors...`

Cut a long story short, 5+ resparays over expanding body panels, finally got it back, looked better than when I originally collected her from the dealer ...

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Not good there. But is it all sorted?
I know what you mean about being told "no thats fine" as if its not your job youcan only go on what your being told and they could tell you anything really

claudefrog

Oct 23, 2005
At home
www.reallymeansounds.com
When you get a panel painted you need to let them polish it, they would have had to flatten the paint and then buff it to get a real good shine on it, the overspray can be removed using a claybar.

IMO you should just have let them wash it, means the car would have been the way you wanted it, then when you got it home give it a good polish.

If they couldnt see the overspray etc how did you expect them to fix it ?? :)

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
Picked my car up in the rain when it had been moped/polished, it looked fine. Next day when the sun was out the car was covered in moping marks and the paint still wasnt flat. going back tot he body shop tonite, again :censored:

From what i know they wouldve moped out all imperfections, over spray etc. so get it under some light asap to check they havnt put swirls everywere.

Hope everythings sorted now though

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
claudefrog said:
When you get a panel painted you need to let them polish it, they would have had to flatten the paint and then buff it to get a real good shine on it, the overspray can be removed using a claybar.

IMO you should just have let them wash it, means the car would have been the way you wanted it, then when you got it home give it a good polish.

If they couldnt see the overspray etc how did you expect them to fix it ?? :)

Thats true and a fair point but if this is a common problem then they should have said told me that they cant not wash it in case there is any imperfections, if they have of done that i would have backed down and said ok fair point you can wash it but all they said was that it would be dusty!

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
i wouldnt go back there alex, simple as!

you cant win now days... its sooooo hard to find a competent dealer! :(

gazjones

this sounds a bit unfair i hope they have dont a proper job on it im just thinkinh if the quality of the work would have been the same if it was a paying customer

The new loon

CupraTgirl said:
I got my car back on Thursday last week! I was well happy as i had not driven it other than to the bodyshop on Monday and was having withdrawl symptoms!

I had asked them NOT to wash her as i did not want stratches on her so made sure i checked it over but was hard to tell as she was SO dusty!

I washed her on Saturday and thats when i found out what they had REALLY done to her

The wing is perfect, looks brilliant but the overspray of what looks to be primer ALL over half of my bonnet with a distinct line of where it was masked, is not! I am FUMING

I then look over to the door and on the pillar bit above the wing mirror there is two flat spots, one is small but one looks like a hand print! There is NO shine to the paint as if the top layer has been taken off

How the :censored: can they get it SO wrong and how come they even need to go near the door pillar, it goes in for one thing and comes out with something else

I called them Saturday and he knew who i was as he said 'Oh have you got the Black Ibiza that we did not wash'

He said to take it down this week and they will sort it but i dont want them using any paint thinners to get the paint off, i think it deserves a respray?

What should i do?

Alex, you should have let them clean the car after repairs, it's very hard for a repairer to do a good quality check when a car is covered in dirt and dust, bodyshops where ever you go has a dusty inviroment it's the nature of the business.

The bodyshop where i work we clean cars before they go in for repair so we don't miss any imperfections on the panel being repaired, they are then blown off frequently while in the workshop with air lines so cars stay clean through out repairs. Then when cars are completed they go off to be clean with a jet wash this cuts down the need to use sponges that could have grit in them. After washing the cars they are then polished and waxed on all new painted panels and adjacent panels, before going for final quality checks.

What i dont like hearing on these forums are people always slating repairers, because it gives us all a bad name. If bodyshops are all useless like some poeple seem to be saying, you dont have to use us, you can always keep the damage on your cars. Or as there seem to be so many "experts" out there you could all go to halfords get some filler and a couple of spray cans a do the work yourselves, i would love to see the outcome.

Neil.

The new loon

gazjones said:
this sounds a bit unfair i hope they have dont a proper job on it im just thinkinh if the quality of the work would have been the same if it was a paying customer

What do you mean paying customer. Somebody somewhere has to pick up the tab, a bodyshop that isn't to blame are not going to do the repairs for nothing.

Neil.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members