Thin paintwork

Pgcreature

Oct 7, 2013
Surrey
Noticed today cleaning my mk3 Leon I had picked up a few stone chips on the bonnet, the light coloured primer was not too apparent against the grey paintwork, but the paint did seem very thin , certainly much thinner than that on the mk1. Is this Seat affecting cost savings in the number of coats applied.....:whistle: Have any other members noticed thin paint with their mk3s ??

Last edited:

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
Noticed today cleaning my mk3 Leon I had picked up a few stone chips on the bonnet, the light coloured colour was not too apparent against the grey paintwork, but the paint did seem very thin , certainly much thinner than that on the mk1. Is this Seat affecting cost savings in the number of coats applied.....:whistle: Have any other members noticed thin paint with their mk3s ??

few remarks been made on here! were you finding the blemishes? bottom part of the bonnet by any chance.

had a grey mark 2 before the 3, front end was well pebble dashed, in certain lights the car looked an absolute mess.

ive took to leaving a massive gap to the car in front to try and limit any damage

forge197

SE>FR>CUPRA
May 14, 2002
UK
Visit site
Mine has a few chips now, but I have covered a fair few miles since getting it, I also have a Toyota and that also picks up chips, price to pay for using the cars, do try and keep a good distance, though still get "done" :)

Marve

Apr 20, 2013
The Leon isn't any different to any other modern car. Generally the thickness of all of the layers are between 110 and 120 microns which is well within other makes boundaries. The problem is all modern cars are water based which makes them susceptible to stone chips. Hanging back is the key as others have stated.

Pgcreature

Oct 7, 2013
Surrey
Yep bottom edge of bonnet is where they are collecting.
Over the last 30 years I ve owned all sorts and makes of cars and this really seems the worst I have had as regards to stone chips...never mind keeping distance, this paint work really doesn't seem up for it in vulnerable areas.

Shiners

Jun 29, 2013
Scotland
The Leon isn't any different to any other modern car. Generally the thickness of all of the layers are between 110 and 120 microns which is well within other makes boundaries. The problem is all modern cars are water based which makes them susceptible to stone chips. Hanging back is the key as others have stated.

The average paint depth on mine is 240 microns... and no, it hasn't been resprayed :)
My previous car - Mk5 Golf was almost half that figure. Sound advice keeping good distance from vehicle in front.

Marve

Apr 20, 2013
The average paint depth on mine is 240 microns... and no, it hasn't been resprayed :)
My previous car - Mk5 Golf was almost half that figure. Sound advice keeping good distance from vehicle in front.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you have 240 then that has been resprayed. Even if your car is brand new, it may have had something minor happen to it in transit whereby it is then decided to respray it. So it can and does happen.

Pgcreature

Oct 7, 2013
Surrey
Thanks guys for your replies and I will just have to keep my distance from that A3:rofl:.....no tailgating there !! lol ....

Shiners

Jun 29, 2013
Scotland
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you have 240 then that has been resprayed. Even if your car is brand new, it may have had something minor happen to it in transit whereby it is then decided to respray it. So it can and does happen.

You think so? If they did, then the entire body shell, doors, wings has been resprayed with a uniformity of depth that is indistinguishable from production line standards.

Marve

Apr 20, 2013
You think so? If they did, then the entire body shell, doors, wings has been resprayed with a uniformity of depth that is indistinguishable from production line standards.

Read this for a guide behind the logic - http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/car-care-blog/detailing/paint/

Then here are two panels on my MK3 Leon car. Resprayed bonnet and original rear quarter. Dealership told me nothing and it was only from taking readings that I confronted them and they had no choice but to admit it.

DSC_0369_1024x678_zps35fa3eda.jpg

DSC_0367_1024x678_zpsee0753b6.jpg

Last edited:

Fraczish

Aug 20, 2013
Unfortunately the left hand side paint on my Mk3 is substantially thicker than the rest of the car ...:cry:

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.