things to lookout when buying your first car? (corsa vs ibiza)

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
Passed my driving test last week and now I am looking for a car. I am 26 so ideally want a car to last not an old banger. I have filtered my decision down to Seat Ibiza 1.4 or a Vauxhall Corsa SRI 1.4 limited edition (neither brand new), got around 6k to use up so just looking for opinions from people that know stuff about cars. I have tried to look for reviews online buts it no help really.

CORSA:http://www.euromotorco.co.uk/used-vauxhall-corsa-rotherham-south-yorkshire-1587415

Ibiza: https://www.jct600.co.uk/used-cars/seat-ibiza-toca-hatchback-white-manual-petrol/id-125281900/

Also just wanting to know what to look out for when purchasing a car, like they look awesome, polished up on Auto trader but I might be missing something. Just dont wana get fooked over.

Cheers.

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
Interesting that you've thought it necessary to limit yourself to just two choices of exact models.
This class of supermini/sub-compact car is most competitive with many different rivals, all with
their own relative strengths and weaknesses.

First thing to point-out is you don't need to spend nearly as much as £6K to get a decent, reliable,
(and even quite recent) car, but if you have that amount at your disposal then it certainly widens the choice.
Bear in mind though that running costs take-up a larger slice of the budget than most people expect, even with modest cheap-to-run cars like these.

A Corsa is a barely-par car that can be considered a safe choice, but does not excel at anything.
This would be ok if they were cheaper to compensate, but because they are popular they mostly aren't.
Choosing one will label you as 'car clueless' by many, but of course that may not bother you.

The Ibiza is basicly a Polo in a different frock and in most respects is so similar that the fact it's usually a bit cheaper model for model is a genuine bonus. Don't believe 100% in the VW group reputation for superior quality though.

In any case, buying from a franchised dealer is going to be the most expensive option. If you know
someone a bit car savvy then you can get a lot more for your money buying a 3-year-old lease/PCP hand-back car from a car auction outlet, with very little risk at this end of the market. Indeed, it's where main dealers often obtain used stock to put on their forecourt. A bargain for them - a decent valet and hey presto, a nice 30% mark-up.

If buying used privately, then a slightly left-field choice, bought from someone decent, (like a retired couple rather than a mod-mad boy racer) can be a great source for a well-priced and well-cared-for car that will last.

If it happens that a good car with high likely reliability is your prime consideration, then maybe a Mazda 2 or Honda Jazz might suit better.

Last edited:

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
The better half has a Purple Fiesta which I find quite nippy and feels quite good when giving it a bit of a thrashing (when it's dark haha)

Something like this maybe...

It would be cheap tax, worth looking for the 125bhp version as I'm sure that would be quite quick.

I've never owned a Corsa or Ibiza before but I'm sure the Ibiza would be fun because it's SEAT and I'm very bias lol

Worth seeing if you can get hold of a fault reader like ODBEleven to scan the car before buying to see if it has any issues that haven't been cleared. There is a VCDS/VAG-COM request section on the forum which may help you find someone close

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?forums/vag-com-diagnostics.104/

Good luck

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Haven't driven a Corsa 1.4 but I have owned an Ibiza 1.4 TOCA from new and I like it for quality, handling and ride, but sadly its a slug. Really lacking in oomph! You'd never know it has 85 bhp. and also Ibiza's are tiny in the back seat.

That said, I've loathed absolutely every Corsa I've ever driven, so I would look at the Ibiza 1.2 TSI instead. That has got a decent amount of go (105 bhp and a load more torque) which backs up all the other good things about an Ibiza Mk5.

Leo Logan

Jul 2, 2018
My wife drives a Skoda Citigo, it's a great drive, really well reviewed and you can pick them up for less than £80 a month on finance or £4.5k if you dig around a bit!

I am currently driving a SEAT Ibiza and can't recommend it enough. It drives great and feels classier than a Polo... although it's a 2017 model and slightly out of your budget! Wouldn't recommend the Corsa though! Hope that helps.

Leo

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.