Thinking of swapping Leon Cupra petrol for Diesel

Mewcenary

Mar 16, 2006
Farnham, Surrey
Hi,

I currently have an 02 Seat Leon Cupra (non-"R") which I enjoy very much.
Around 60k on the clock now.

What I am not particularly enjoying are the fuel costs. I think I'm spending about £300 pcm - I get about 330-340 miles per tank. It's mostly motorway miles.

I'm just wondering if it would be worth switching to a diesel (most likely another Leon if possible) in terms of saving money. Obviously I'd still have to deal with the 10k servicing costs.

But I suppose insurance and road tax would come down.

I estimate my annual mileage at 25k.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
With that sort of mileage you would see some improvement in fuel costs, but not enough to make you a rich man overnight! You'll probably get another 100-150 miles from a tank if it's mostly motorway driving plus, as you say, cheaper tax and insurance.

And if you remap the car you'll get better performance than a standard Cupra petrol gives. Although by doing that you do sacrifice a little off the MPG, but probably not enough to make a big difference.

If I were in your shoes I'd probably do it, but would see if I could find a nice FR+ in my price range so you get the LCR styling. That and a remap would be lovely if you need to save on petrol :)

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
Thats about the annual mileage I do..

I have a Toledo TDI which gives best part of 600 miles on a tankful.

I commute nearly 50 miles to work, which means I do 500 miles Monday Friday, and I easily do this on a single tankful of diesel. That is the best part, not having to queue up and fill up midweek like I used to in my Golf GTI.

My car has cruise control which I find is very economical, I can't get anywhere near its MPG figures driving manually.

My TDI returns over 60 MPG (on its computer thing) with 64.6 being my record for a single commute to work.

Diesel, you know it makes sense ;-)

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.