This is the new Ibiza Cupra!

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
My (old) 1989 Renault 5 GT Turbo - 1.4 Turbocharged engine - Mildly modified - 0-60 in 6.5 seconds!
If an engine setup almost 20 years old can achieve that kind of performance, then come 2008/2009, with 20 EXTRA years of research and development (+ technology) to play with, you'd have thought the engineers could work wonders with a 1400CC engine as a base.

Not a great comparison - R5 Turbo was a lot lighter in weight, hence the 0-60. Modern cars, due to safety / emissions legislation etc etc are a lot heavier.

QuietQuackers

Feb 14, 2007
Cheshire
Not a great comparison - R5 Turbo was a lot lighter in weight, hence the 0-60. Modern cars, due to safety / emissions legislation etc etc are a lot heavier.

Although I suppose in terms of bhp/ton the Cupra would be better off, the Renault only had 115 bhp giving it 135bhp/ton and the Cupra about 163bhp/ton (assuming it weighs similar to the Ibiza SC).

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
DSG is a one of a kind and possibly the best blend of the 2

until you try one don't knock it as i would have one tomorrow

not only better than a manual or auto but faster too

Totally agree, rapid seamless gear changes, with a twin turbo 1.4 that has power and torque in all the right places...........................a winner

The only questionable bit is the rear end

Last edited:

Poverty

Been doing research on the 1.4 TSI and it could be an alright engine to tune, only thing it will be expensive. Basically you can mess with the supercharger gearing to get more low down grunt, and then once you hit a certain RPM the clutch on the supercharger disengages, at which point you should be going fast enough to allow a massive turbo thats been bolted on to spool up. Only issue being who knows how much boost the 1.4 TSI block can handle

Poverty

pretty good base to start from, as it will only be the serious ones who start changing parts so i am going to say for most people that will be a good figure

puts it quicker than any other small hot hatch if i am right:whistle:

If you dont include the alfa mi.to GTA, upcoming Audi S1, and mini cooper works, then ye I suppose it is.

Actually, nearly forgot about the likes of the fiat 500 abarth. 1.4 Turbo, 170 hp. Would give cupra a run for its money.

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
My GF has one. Dare I say it, its more fun to drive than my ibiza, but the ibiza would still see it off if I ragged both of them around.

they way i see it the ibiza has never been the best handling car as standard in comparison to rivals, its all about the car as a whole and its a good deal when looked at in this way

hopefully the new cupra with its chassis and sportier setup will make it a more serious contender to people that it has not done before

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I challenge anyone to notice 0.2seconds on the road. It's a larger car than the outgoing model so probably weighs a bit more as a result. But it will be a racier engine with seamless gear changes with less of that weight over the front wheels. Personally i think it will be a load of fun and is likely to out-handle the outgoing model all day.

http://www.seatcupra.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1006&Itemid=1

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
Be fair, the Mini's nearly £21k OTR and is driven almost exclusively by girls. :)

ummm yeah, but damn site quicker than the Spanish Fabias i suippose:p

Please bear in mind though that 21k in the Mini would save you alot of cash than spending 16k on an Ibiza. Keep the ibiza one year and it will be worth 11k ish. Keep the mini 5 yrs and it would still probably be worth more than the 1yr old Ibiza especially when you conside that 21k includes 5yrs servicing too, oh and 4 pots, a race spec engine straight from the Challenge car, and handling to die for

I like the new ibiza cupra and would consider one latter on once the prices drop down to 10k ish ( so probably a years wait) it does'nt look good in red though, but yellow seems very nice. I like the idea of the DSG as in todays jam filled roads a full automatic is very attractive. Nothing worse than stop start traffic in a manual car.

Hopefully they offer it in white with black wheels and the orange and the inferi black.

Interior looks great too, love those seats and the dash layout looks a lot more posh than previous

Last edited:

Poverty

I challenge anyone to notice 0.2seconds on the road. It's a larger car than the outgoing model so probably weighs a bit more as a result. But it will be a racier engine with seamless gear changes with less of that weight over the front wheels. Personally i think it will be a load of fun and is likely to out-handle the outgoing model all day.

http://www.seatcupra.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1006&Itemid=1

its 50 kg lighter, and and the engine weight should be about the same as the old version if not a bit lighter. It will outhandle the old model, but most importantly how will it compare to the clio 197 and corsa vxr.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.