Thompson back in btcc 2009

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Reading an interview in Autosport today, I wouldn't count your chickens just yet. I think it's more a statement to the WTCC teams that he's available. No doubting at all Thommo is quick with a good package under him.

In his heart he isn't a quitter so WTCC is where he wants to be, and achieve a world title. But he's understandably leaving his options wide open and making that fact known clearly.

He liked his time with SEAT in the BTCC and had mega results too, I wouldn't rule them out from signing him up for a full season with Plato. But he has basically said in not so many words I'm on the open market folks, bids welcome. :)

RobDon

Pro Detailer
They really need to replace turner though, through bad luck or whatever he just doesn't deliver any form of consistent points-scoring results. Thommo, Plato and one other would be an awesome team, SEAT need to run 3 cars to stand any chance.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Well the 3 car method may offer some protection to the team. But from a manufacturers point of view the 3rd car is somewhat of a white elephant. Its not eligible for manufacturers points unless nominated and only 2 works cars can be nominated to score points at any one race weekend.

Vauxhall are a much bigger monster in terms of market share compared to SEAT, and quite understandably SEAT don't want to run a 3rd car if it takes resources away from the 2 scoring works cars. If a driver brought money to the table then I guess it would be more achievable.

3 cars would be excellent and they have done it in the past with the Toledo's and at selected rounds with the Leon. In 2006 of course Thommo shared the drive with Turner, as Thommo had WTCC commitments with SEAT. So essentially they only ran 2 cars throughout the season, except for the final round when they ran 3 as Spain brought Thommo's WTCC machine to the party.

Though I'd love them to run 3 cars, just because I feel it offers them some security in the race to have another works driver on their side and in the way of the competition.

At some point they are likely to run 3 works cars at one of the rounds in 2009, as that is the prize for the SEAT Cupra champion. I can't see them laying off the 2nd works driver for one weekend to let the SCC champion drive it instead. So 3 cars would be essential, whether its a TDI or a Petrol is anyone's guess at this stage.

Last edited:

Leonidas

If they had a 3rd car i'd say it would hav to be Adam Jones. Could SEAT sport UK not run a 3rd car but still be sponsored and run buy team air cool?

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Not sure on the BTCC rules in that case, I think they could if they came under the SEAT Sport UK team banner, but neither GR Asia or Adam Jones would be able to run as an independent entry while being supported as a manufacturer entry.

The WTCC do this, as part of the team is run by the SEAT Sport factory team and the other half is run by the French outfit Team Oreca Racing. Yet Oreca are under the umbrella of SEAT Sport so they do not run as an independent or score points for anything other than the manufacturer.

The drivers championship is of course a separate concern, they can all collect points for themselves as drivers.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
At some point they are likely to run 3 works cars at one of the rounds in 2009, as that is the prize for the SEAT Cupra champion. I can't see them laying off the 2nd works driver for one weekend to let the SCC champion drive it instead. So 3 cars would be essential, whether its a TDI or a Petrol is anyone's guess at this stage.

What if they fill in for DT so he can go and do Le Mans which clashes with Croft next year? Just a thought, as I reckon he could be back with SSUK next year going by a remark on the Paddock Club section of their website. It said he will have to put his London Marathon preparations on hold as it clashed with a 2009 BTCC event. Probably putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5, but who knows.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I think that it would be rather risky to throw a new person in the 2nd car though, don't you?

But who knows?? Well i know someone that does know, but he won't tell. :p

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Not sure on the BTCC rules in that case, I think they could if they came under the SEAT Sport UK team banner, but neither GR Asia or Adam Jones would be able to run as an independent entry while being supported as a manufacturer entry.

isn't the vauxhalls still resourced through 888 racing though ? although i think it's more probably a collaboration nowadays when my mate worked their Vauxhall were a customer basically paying for it

he was Cleland's chief tech and moved on to Pro-drive + Menu with the Ford Mondeo

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.