Those with a Liquid gauge or vag com

Jun 16, 2008
mate, thats normal

my LG has been reading around 100 in the past few weeks.

as long as it aint up and down/left n right - im happy.

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
hi guys,

I've just has some work done on my lcr which involved flushing the coolant and replacing it with fresh stuff. Just noticed that my Liquid Gauge temp is now reading between 95-98 once the car is warmed up and on the move and got up to 99 when i parked up but didn't go over that.

But my dash gauge still reads 90.

Do you think I have problems? What's everyone else's LG reading in this cold weather? It was minus 4 according to the ambient temp sensor.

Do you think it might be an air lock? How do you get them out?

Thanks,
Mandip.
95-98 is a touch high, maybe an air lock?

Mine is around 87-88 ish at the mo.

Mandip

Mar 29, 2009
Milton Keynes
mate, thats normal
my LG has been reading around 100 in the past few weeks.
as long as it aint up and down/left n right - im happy.

Thanks Joeb, took it out for a spin today and it hovered on 96 and peaked at 99 but didn't go any higher than that. The normal dash gauge was stuck on 90 and didn't budge one bit.

I put the engine under load and also drove slowly but no change to temps it stayed around 96.

It reminds me of the time my fans weren't working on slow speed. Only thing is I can't check because it was -4 outside and the ac compressor won't come on! :-( might have to wait until it warns up a bit.

95-98 is a touch high, maybe an air lock?

Mine is around 87-88 ish at the mo.

Thanks Lee, am I right in thinking to bleed the car I just switch the car on without the coolant tank lid on and let the car warm up, squeezing coolant pipes along the way?

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
mines now sitting around the 84-85 mark at a -6 outside temp. i think it can flutuate a fair bit since the temp sensor is post radiator if im honest,

either that or ive got a goosed 2nd thermostat haha!

Mar 3, 2009
Hinckley
Thanks Joeb, took it out for a spin today and it hovered on 96 and peaked at 99 but didn't go any higher than that. The normal dash gauge was stuck on 90 and didn't budge one bit. I put the engine under load and also drove slowly but no change to temps it stayed around 96.

It reminds me of the time my fans weren't working on slow speed. Only thing is I can't check because it was -4 outside and the ac compressor won't come on! :-( might have to wait until it warns up a bit.

Thanks Lee, am I right in thinking to bleed the car I just switch the car on without the coolant tank lid on and let the car warm up, squeezing coolant pipes along the way?

Mines the same, the main problem is you cant bleed the air con side of things as it needs to be running and its too cold to do it.Once its warmer bleed it again and should drop back down in temp

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
just to add another spanner to the works,

took the car on a good hours drive, with ambient outside temps of 1 degree, so pretty cold,

LG is logging 75-78 degrees c, and its an 8 week old thermostat!
even though the dash isnt budging off 90 c
:( the only thing ive been thinking is the temp sensor is post radiator, so holding a 90 would possibly mean higher temps pre radiator,

any uprated ones available?

Mar 3, 2009
Hinckley
mine is the same mate, about 3 weeks old, im purchasing a genuine SEAT one, put my foot down hard earlier and saw the gauge fall to 70 from 80 in a second.lol

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
mine is the same mate, about 3 weeks old, im purchasing a genuine SEAT one, put my foot down hard earlier and saw the gauge fall to 70 from 80 in a second.lol

i stuck a gates one in, bosch are the ones to get as far as i know, this being what seat fit,

cut knuckles part 2 :(

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
well after a little investigating, ive been doing some comparisons on temps.

climate control diag on no 51c, gives a nice steady 90 degrees,

the dash gives a nice steady 90 degrees,

liquid gauge gives a steady 78 degrees,

Im now starting to think the signals taken for the temp to the LG is that of the dash, since it seems the ecu temp reading is correct, the dash will show 90 whether the actual temp is 75-100 from the sensor since the signal to dash has a 25 degree dead zone according to uk mkivs & other forums, sending the signal to the dash, since the dash doesnt need the exact temp to function, so will read an approx temp, which is also sent to the LG,

Im going to ask Racediagnostics on the issue to see if thats how the LG has been set up, and not to read the ECU read signal to temp...

Last edited:

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
The only strange thing I found was. With the engine left to idle, with the liquid gauge temp maxing out at 80 degrees, the radiator fans kick I'n showing the ecu signal must be reading higher, any ideas ?

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
LG should be getting to 90 and more.
In traffic mine got to 94 before the fans came on can't recall the outside temp tough.

It does point to the CTS not giving the correct signal i think, as we know, not much else to go wrong really.

Mandip

Mar 29, 2009
Milton Keynes
Hello All

I've still got issues...

Here are the symptoms once the car is fully warmed up :

My dash gauge always says 90

My LG goes upto 93/94 when giving it the beans

When I come to a complete stop and let it idle for a bit the LG goes up to 98/99 but never goes above that.

I've bled the system a number of times, I've also run the AC and the fans come on at low speed.

I've got no idea what else it could be as the symptoms don't really match anything I've read up on.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Stoopid car there's always something wrong with it! :-(

AP2000

Toledo TDi 130
Apr 12, 2007
Midlands
I would like some advice on my coolant temp which has annoyed me for the last year.

I had the thermostat and coolant sensor changed last April after it would not move off the minimum mark.

Now soon as it gets cold the car MPG drops about 10mpg and it's never gets to 90c according to Vagcom/Torque (Android apps).

It's been back to the garage a few times and each time they blame the weather etc.

So today, 27 mile journey, mainly dual carriageways up to 70mph the highest temp on Torque was 75c and the dash got to 90c but dropped down a bit when slowing down. Torque also showed around 68c when slowing down.

After I got to work, I check the top radiator hose it was stone cold.

Do you think it's the thermostat that is faulty?

Thanks.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members