Throttle Body Alignment

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
The throttle body is not cable, but electronically operated (using a small electronic servo motor). Throttle body Alignment is when this electric motor calibrates the closed and opened position for the throttle plate and stores these values in the ECU so it (throttle body) can work open/close properly.

The throttle body can get un-aligned over time, so it will not shut/open throttle plate precisely.

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Ok to bring an old thread back to life:

gonna take my tb off one day soon to polish, but am slightly confused by this thread.

On first page Phil describes a way to do the TBA without vagcom.

Then DPJ says in a later post that TBA can ONLY be done with vagcom

Then the next reply is by Phil, where he confirms what DPJ just said...??

So which is it, can or can't you do the TBA without vagcom (following Phils steps)?

Reason i am asking is becuase I do not have vagcom

cheers

olethalb

ibiza gone!!!
Oct 9, 2008
bracknell
also whould mis allignment be the cause of random revving on between gear change? ( ie. off throttle and revs continue to climb for a second before dropping off) :confused:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
also whould mis allignment be the cause of random revving on between gear change? ( ie. off throttle and revs continue to climb for a second before dropping off) :confused:

I think that this is intentional and is done to minimise exhaust emissions. Do the revs not just "hold" and not rise - unless of course the engine is labouring or overloaded.

cuprabaz

Racing 2020VT
Jun 22, 2004
Aberdeenshire
I never tried it via vag-com but when my car was idling badly I did as Phil described in post#8 and the car was fine afterwards??

I've done this with quite a few cars and it's improved things. If it wasn't re-aligning the TB what was it doing and why did it improve things?:confused:

olethalb

ibiza gone!!!
Oct 9, 2008
bracknell
I think that this is intentional and is done to minimise exhaust emissions. Do the revs not just "hold" and not rise - unless of course the engine is labouring or overloaded.

it's not holding the rev, it's continuing to climb after you come off the pedal and only occurs randomly but when it starts it keeps doing it until you flick the ignition off and restart the car??:confused:

cupraRgstar

May 15, 2007
Edinburgh
I remember i tried to align the TB by disconnecting the battery as i do not have Vag Com

and it sent my car haywire was overboosting and not revving over like 4000, so turned

the car off left it for a while and when i turned it back on it was all fine.... strange :shrug:

Cupra_J_RS

Yellow Perril Cupra
May 14, 2007
Solihull, Birmingham
it's not holding the rev, it's continuing to climb after you come off the pedal and only occurs randomly but when it starts it keeps doing it until you flick the ignition off and restart the car??:confused:

Let me know if you sort this, my car does the same.

I started another thread on here (search for: 'gear change over revving') that got quite detailed, but still no solution.

olethalb

ibiza gone!!!
Oct 9, 2008
bracknell
yes will do, it's getting annoying! people look at me like i can't drive or i can't use the clutch!

and if you have any possible solutions please let me know, thanks.

Cupra_J_RS

Yellow Perril Cupra
May 14, 2007
Solihull, Birmingham
To save you the bother of reading through the other thread, the 2 obvious solutions are aligning the TB as said above, and the clutch pedal sensor. Have you checked your clutch pedal sensor?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.