Throttle Body - butterfly valve screw

crc_73

Mar 24, 2016
Hi,

I was doing an oil and air filter change today, and had a look down at the throttle body, and saw that something looked amiss, it looks like one of the screws that goes through the butterfly valve has sheared off at some point.

I took the throttle body off to have a better look at it, and give it a clean while it was off. The attached photo is after cleaning, although the top side was fairly clean beforehand, but below the butterfly valve was pretty bad with caked on carbon deposits, which I got off it.

Just wondering if this broken screw is something to be concerned about? The other screw seems to be holding the valve fairly securely, and it looks like a difficult job to try and get the broken bit out to put another screw in, if it's even worth contemplating going that far.

Also, I noticed further past the throttle body while it was off, the chamber below seems to be fairly bad with carbon deposits, like the underside of the throttle body was. Is there an additive that can be used to clean in here, or is it a job to take if off and clean off the engine? And could this carbon contribute to higher emissions? Car has NCT/MOT on Friday.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 20190630_132121.jpg
    20190630_132121.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 68
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.