Throttle body modification

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Can you just leave the solenoids connected without any hoses on them?

sure.

they dont care they're just dumb switch valves

no CEL or codes on mine and no vac pipe to anything like before now. DV and FPR have vac, servo, and carbon cannister. simple and effective

RobDon

Pro Detailer
I reinstalled the solenoids and removed the resistors, no hoses on them. I also sealed around the MAP sensor as for some reason I think boost may be leaking around it.

When driving now the misfire is gone, boost is still a bit jerky but not nearly as bad as before, but now the car cuts out at junctions and it idles lower ... ffs!

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
an airleak somewhere m8 - OR its got to adapt the fueling back again if it was compensating for an airleak before.

cupraslayer

I want more bhp
Feb 8, 2008
northampton
expensive way to find out but cant you get another maf?i know you said u have disconnected it and its still lumpy, but i had a simular problem. disconnected the maf and still did what urs was doing. replaced it after everyone here said it would def be it and now its fine. mine wouldnt idle and everytime pushed down the clutch it would drop to 400rpm almost to a stall. like i say its fine now, could you pick one up from the scraps? you get a 3month garrantee.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Well all seems to be sorted now. Seems the gasket between the throttle body and manifold was leaking, also the seal around the MAF sensor and housing wasn't good either. So after fixing the leaks and filling up with some fresh Shell V-Power, the car is running normal again - no cutting out, misfiring, dead throttle, etc. are all gone.

It seems a combination of boost and air leaks, plus loose dirty plugs all contributed to the issues. I'm also wondering if using Tesco 99 fuel contributed too - poor fuel, dunno?

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Well all seems to be sorted now. Seems the gasket between the throttle body and manifold was leaking, also the seal around the MAF sensor and housing wasn't good either. So after fixing the leaks and filling up with some fresh Shell V-Power, the car is running normal again - no cutting out, misfiring, dead throttle, etc. are all gone.

It seems a combination of boost and air leaks, plus loose dirty plugs all contributed to the issues. I'm also wondering if using Tesco 99 fuel contributed too - poor fuel, dunno?

so an airleak then.... ;)

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Yes Bill, you were right, a leak between the TB and mani plus boost seems to have been blowing by the MAP sensor too, it's a tight fit but maybe the hole is oval rather than round? Instant gasket fixed it anyway, plus a new gasket on the TB.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I had my R32 leak slightly last year... slightly erratic idle, but what got our attention at the race meeting was it squeaked like a mouse - funny mousy sound.. we looked around like wtf is that.. finger over the area, it went quiet. Gasket sealer cured it

v-g

is an alien.
Mar 10, 2004
Nowhere near, i.e. Norway.
Man, there's a lot of stuff under that bracket and manifold! :headhurt:

How much can we remove from the engine bay and still be able to drive our cars?

Sorry for the non-constructive post.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Quite alot it seems, way too much junk on these engines! I'll be completely removing the SAI system soon once the blanking plate arrives from Forge.

Took my car for a good hard run today up to :censored: MPH and it's smooth as silk and back to full power again - well chuffed. :thumbup:

I'll be sending my GT2X to CR Turbos sometime soon for a hybrid upgrade, more power!

Eventually I'll go for the Backdraft 325bhp kit.

v-g

is an alien.
Mar 10, 2004
Nowhere near, i.e. Norway.
I've been reading about this jet pump, seems like a scary piece of plastic. Strange that I've not seen it as a part of an intense discussion on SCN before.

Will this new Backdraft set-up include new rods and/or pistons? Are you not getting very close to what the stock 150/180 hp internals can safely handle?

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
only vac lines "needed" are those to DV, fpr, & servo as all the others are'nt needed (other than fuel tank carbon breather if you retain that also)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members